Nikki Severin

Dev Diary #221 Rebalancing the Future

On 5/2/2022 at 7:40 AM, TonyPearce said:

Airship or hot air balloon

I believe something like that is in the works.

If a submarine is too sophisticated, how about a diving bell

YES! Anything to get be able to get to the bottom faster would be helpful. Sometimes I am diving so deep that by the time I reach the bottom I need to turn around immediately because the zirc tank is at the halfway point. (Still not sure why they disabled switching tanks underwater because real divers do it all the time)

New weapon: blowpipe, it could shoot paralyzing dart and poisonous dart

They already have dart guns in editor, so that might be an idea.... A paralyzing dart or some sort of atalantean paralyzing trident or crossbow  would be handy for sharks.....not sure they will integrate poison in the game though.

Friendly villagers and village, you could even hire one or two.And merchant ship with vendors

Well they have vendors, but i still think they need a few more types of vendors and it would be handy if some actually sold shipments. I suggested the idea of an Innuit Trader in the arctic that would sell some of the newer resources. Regarding merchant ships, Ales mentioned at one point in a live stream he would like to have random encounters on the sea that occur between travelling to a different map. Things like pirate ships, but Merchant ships would also be interesting. I know from working in editor that NPCs don't stay on ships so that may take some work.

Gun/rifle with bayonet.

That's interesting. I am betting it's easily do-able

Instruments, some could be carried by player.

Are you talking about Musical instruments? Yes Please!! I made an acoustic guitar and a piano in editor, and @Yo HasLEGOhas made several instruments (electric guitars, amps, pedals, keyboards and a blueprintable piano)  I would love to see some instruments that play actual sound. Maybe a banjo, acoustic guitar, flute, bamboo lute, dulcimer, accordian, even some brass instruments like bugles and trumpets. I can imagine a random sound set for each instrument so they play different tunes randomly.

I have had a few suggestions I'm still hoping for. A lunch box, an ore container, a flare gun, the ability to shoot ranged weapons on mounts (apparently that used to be a thing), bigger caves, sliding glass doors and regular sliding doors (oriental style would be cool), better enemy AI (with ranged attacks available), saddlebags (something they are working on) Car summoning (something else they are working on).....there's a ton of great suggestions made by other players here and I'm just happy the devs listen and try to integrate some of the suggestions into the game. ( The overhauled workstations were based on some of our input. Yohaslego and myself sent in some concept art and the devs basically took the ideas and ran with them...now the workstations are much easier to use and because of a few players input about mass crafting it's pretty much perfect and much more user friendly than they used to be)

• Like 2

Seeing some GREAT suggestions so far!

Game "balancing" is almost always a negative for the player, so lets hope this is not the case for Ylands.

So, here are my thoughts on the matter...

Potions:
Longer durations, more varied, to be used as a shorter duration alternative to Propeller pack or air tank.

Crafting:
Lower tier recipes (crafting items) should automatically be revealed as progression advances. (for example having Ylandium products, but not knowing how to make bread)

Food
Canning (Sardines in tins)
Chill box for perishable food
Smoking station for meat/fish
Dropped food spoils
Enable the ability to eat other fish besides sardines

Structures:
Ability to create underwater buildings (they currently flood even if a blueprint is used).
Add templates for the default structures found in game (eg Church, ruined caste, etc.)
Misalignment on structures means that users are not able to "repair them". New blocks do not align.

Misc:
Teleportation (as is found on many servers). Would be useful for exploring very deep water. User would need be at a specific technology level then would need to create a "start portal" and then a "destination portal". Limited range (from boat to deepest part of the ocean for example)

Just now, FallujahMedic -FM- said:

Ability to create underwater buildings

This probably won't happen, since the devs have expressed their difficulties with changing the water physics. There have been many requests for making boat hulls hollow, but the devs haven't exactly been eager to do it (due to said difficulties). Technically speaking, underwater buildings is a very similar challenge to hollow hulls, in the sense that they would need the ability to subtract/displace volumes of water dynamically. 

We'll never know until they try. Remember, sharks were broken at one point as well. On the other hand, we could also dig underwater and make underwater buildings back then too. The community have been making awesome things that the devs once said were impossible too. Think positive. If they want suggestions, I'm going to give them. 

44 minutes ago, zarwil said:

they would need the ability to subtract/displace volumes of water dynamically. 

What about underwater enclosures where the internals make the water (and it’s accompanying effects) invisible. As if it wasn’t there but technically is present?

5 hours ago, Deadeye_Rob said:

What about underwater enclosures where the internals make the water (and it’s accompanying effects) invisible. As if it wasn’t there but technically is present?

Yeah I suggested this before, with reply from @Nikki Severin

• Like 1