Sign in to follow this  
spiritchaser28

The new crafting system needs a little work.

Question

The resources can be difficult at times to find. I have heard a ton of people asking about things like anemone goo, ylandium components, tubular porifera,and other resources that seem to be difficult to aquire. This has not been much of a problem for me because I trade a lot with other players.....HOWEVER....some things still require the recipe to be unlocked even if you have all the ingredients for them. I think once you aquire the ingredients, the recipe should naturally unlock. For instance I have every ingredient for the ylandium wrench and alien cutter due to trades I have made to aquire these items for the intent purpose of crafting them.....even though I have all the ingredients, the recipe does not unlock unless I randomly stumble onto a rare encounter that unlocks it. ....I understand the devs are trying to make things more challenging (which is appreciated) but I think if you have everything a recipe requires, it should unlock naturally. Am I the only person that thinks this way?

• Upvote 2

11 replies to this bug / suggestion

One question, after I spent some exploration points, will I forget some recipes?

5 hours ago, TonyPearce said:

One question, after I spent some exploration points, will I forget some recipes?

No you shouldn't forget any recipes once you learn them. The issue here is learning the recipes by finding super rare encounters 20 thousand leagues below the sea. You may learn the recipe if you are lucky enough to find them, but there's also a good chance you will die from lack of oxygen once you get there. It's why I still think they should allow people to switch air tanks like actual divers do all the time., or at least have some sort of way to descend to the ocean floor faster. Some people have suggested diving bells and that may be a good option. 

Edited by spiritchaser28

As far as I know, weights are used to descend when diving to shallower depths, especially without oxygen tanks. Most of the time it is a simple stone that quickly pulls the diver underwater and he just leaves it on the bottom.

For diving to greater depths, this is not done, because it would kill the diver with caisson disease.

Maybe it would be enough to have some weights that, when in your inventory (or in your hand) would quickly pull you underwater.

Either would have to be in your hand and then it could be used repeatedly and would probably be pretty expensive for ingredients. Or it would be disposable and the diver would have to dump it out of inventory to move around and swim out normally.

Edited by Elenis

On 5/9/2022 at 3:58 PM, Elenis said:

As far as I know, weights are used to descend when diving to shallower depths, especially without oxygen tanks. Most of the time it is a simple stone that quickly pulls the diver underwater and he just leaves it on the bottom.

For diving to greater depths, this is not done, because it would kill the diver with caisson disease.

Maybe it would be enough to have some weights that, when in your inventory (or in your hand) would quickly pull you underwater.

Either would have to be in your hand and then it could be used repeatedly and would probably be pretty expensive for ingredients. Or it would be disposable and the diver would have to dump it out of inventory to move around and swim out normally.

I think Ylands is not a diving simulator...Not even many scuba diving games have "diver disease".

9 hours ago, TonyPearce said:

I think Ylands is not a diving simulator...Not even many scuba diving games have "diver disease".

Yeah once you throw Elves, Mutants, Atlanteans, Golems and Mythical animals in the mix, you can sort of toss the idea of "realism" out the window haha. My point is it would be nice if we could descend faster with some method or just be able to switch air tanks like we used to do

On 5/7/2022 at 9:08 PM, spiritchaser28 said:

switch air tanks like actual divers do all the time

I think this is the most natural solution. It works really well in the early stages of Subnautica. The oxygen tank in that game takes up quite a bit of space in your inventory, though, as a balancing act. If you want to dive deeper, you compromise on inventory space.

I've only mentioned caisson disease in passing and I hope he's never in the game because diving would become virtually impossible.

Changing bottles underwater would completely upset the balance of the game. Staying underwater would become very trivial and easy. Just make enough bottles and you'd be worry free. Even now, you can stay underwater for a very long time thanks to air corals. I've had several times where I've surfaced after about ten minutes underwater and been so far away that I couldn't see my boat. It's not pleasant when you have a shark on your back.

For me, having some weights to pull me to the bottom quickly, would have been enough. It would have given me more time to look for first air coral and explore.

1 hour ago, Elenis said:

Even now, you can stay underwater for a very long time thanks to air corals

My issue is finding them sometimes. By the time I get to the bottom in some areas I have to turn immediately around and go back to the surface or die because I'm at the halfway point in my tank. If I spent time looking for them I would surely die in some of the places I have dived

I think, but I'm not sure, that surfacing is twice as fast as submerging. If I use half the tank during a dive, I have about a quarter of the tank to explore and if I don't find coral I have to go back up immediately.

31 minutes ago, Elenis said:

I think, but I'm not sure, that surfacing is twice as fast as submerging. If I use half the tank during a dive, I have about a quarter of the tank to explore and if I don't find coral I have to go back up immediately.

I've died a couple times coming back up for air at less than a half tank. So I'm not certain either....I just know I check my depth meter before I decide to dive now. It's it's ludicrously deep I don't take the chance.

I don't have a depth gauge on my sailboat. When I dive, it's only until my oxygen is past halfway. Then I turn it up.