Nikki Severin

Dev Diary #231 Experimental Ymprovements

Hey there, fellow Ylanders!

We have some good news for those daring among you - you can now test the update 1.10 Experimental branch on Steam. The new update bears the name Ymproved Ylands, which is mostly because we focused on balancing the game and improving the features we already have. Oh, and the name of the update also helps a bit with the correct pronunciation of the name of the game ;) 

Ylands_1-10_Update_Experimental_SteamEventHeader_1920x622.png

As always this means that you can get your hands on the cool new stuff early, but you may encounter some bugs. If you do, we would be very grateful if you could report those bugs on our forums (please always state that you are playing the experimental!), along with any negative or positive feedback you care to share.

So what is it that you can expect, should you accept this mission to make Ylands better?

• FPS camera (beta)
    • After a long wait, the FPS camera is back. It's not perfect, still has some quirks and things that we will iron out in the upcoming updates, but it's about 90% done. So hit "C" and let us know what you think :)
  • Exploration balancing
    • Resources are now spread all over the game world making you travel to other biomes as well - you can see what each biome contains on the world map. As you discover more about other places of the world you will find new interesting Random Encounters. In this update, we've mostly focused on bringing more content into arctic areas. It's the first step we're making while populating the world of Ylands with its backstory, creating its own long overdue lore that will be uncovered with each following update.
    • Among other things that are related to balancing (there are quite a few of them there), we can name the fact that various resources now require specific tool quality. So while some early resources can be mined with a basic pickaxe, for something rarer you will have to craft a better type of pickaxe.
  • Improved fishing
    • Fishing is now more interesting - not only is the actual action more fun but there's a lot you can catch (as well as new recipes related to that). What depth you fish at, time of the day or even if it's raining affects what you get.
  • Improved Radial menu
    • The radial menu now controls more intuitively. And since we found that a lot of new players have no idea there even is one, we've added a hard-to-miss radial menu hotkey hint (which you can disable in Game settings).
  • Mythical animals
    • You can now run into some very specific Random Encounters that let you acquire one of the very unique animal companions. Those are sort of a puzzle, but if you manage to solve them, the result is surely worth all the work.
  • Notice Board
    • Now you will never miss anything important because of the cool new Notice board! Look for the owl button in the Main Menu.
  • Editor improvements
    • Creators will find some pretty handy improvements in Editor - like Visual Scripting multi selection and better object placing tools.
  • All this and much, much more.

What's missing:

1.10 will bring a big update to Blueprints but that is not yet present in this Experimental branch. It will, however, be present in the full release later.

For information on how to access the Experimental branch please visit our forum here. Please note, that you will have to play as a new character and any progress you make in the Experimental branch will be eventually wiped. Playing the Experimental branch has no effect on your regular game character or progress.

We look forward to hearing what you like and don't like, please let us know! 

Stay classy, Ylanders!

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Nikki Severin said:

Oh, and the name of the update also helps a bit with the correct pronunciation of the name of the game ;)

Wait now i'm confused... I knew you guys didn't pronounce it as why-lands but...From what i can gather here is that it should be pronounced ee-lands??? That's just weird 😆

59 minutes ago, Yo HasLEGO said:

Wait now i'm confused... I knew you guys didn't pronounce it as why-lands but...From what i can gather here is that it should be pronounced ee-lands??? That's just weird 😆

Fair, that's fair :D

But yeah, we still get lots of people pronouncing it as WHYlands 😭

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Nikki Severin said:

But yeah, we still get lots of people pronouncing it as WHYlands 

😭

Ehm, guilty! 

But I'm trying to learn the i-slands way 😅 In my defense, I remember seeing a video of I think Aleš, talking about the name as my-lands :D

Edited by Miguel Preguisa

ee lands?   grrr!     what about   "she-lands "  ?  ( waves   stilettoes.. and  puma  resistant  girdle   :)  )

I love this, not had a real chance to play properly yet but I love the fps cam :DDD I just wish that we could stay in first person when sitting down in chairs and such lol be cool to sit and look out the window on a rainy day but it forces you into third person so kind of breaks the immersion ..can't wait for the update to drop tho so I can actually go explore :DDD

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1