Sign in to follow this  
SandyT

Tech Issue - Ylands purchased from Microsoft doesn't save

Question

I purchased Ylands Dec. 2017 when early access opened and I've played over 7500 hours on my main account. I wanted to see how hard it would be to play now without all of the resources that I've collected. So I created a new email account and purchased the Windows version with the new email address. I purchased the exploration pack for the new account also and played through the starter island and had sailed to a new island or two. I probably made a mistake to download it on the same computer that I have my main account, but now when I try to start the Windows version, it is asking me to create a name and essentially start over. Since I've purchased it again, I really don't want to do that. Do you know how I can locate the actual .exe file for the Windows Ylands version? Thanks for any assistance you can give me on this. Thanks!

Sandy

4 replies to this bug / suggestion

Not sure if this fully applies to Ylands from the Windows store, as I've only played it through Steam, but I know from other Windows store apps the EXE and related files are usually located here:
"C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Packages\<company.appname_id>"

The folder is restricted to only Trusted Installer so you'll have to change the advanced security settings to give yourself permission to read/write in Packages.
I'd imagine Ylands might save somewhere else other than the install folder, but again I'm not particularly sure in this case.

Hope this helps a bit.  Maybe at a dev of community manager for better details than what I can guess.

• Like 2

Thank you, BinarySemaphore, that is where the Windows app was stored. Unfortunately, it didn't save the progress I had made. I opened the play store and it showed it was installed so I clicked play from there. It brought me to the opening screen to create a new character. It also gave me the option to pin it to the taskbar. I did that and I can now open either the Windows version or the Steam version. This time I just used the trial DLC instead of buying it. It seems to be saving my progress now so I'll buy the DLC again after the trial is over. I appreciate your help on my question - thanks!

2 hours ago, SandyT said:

Thank you, BinarySemaphore, that is where the Windows app was stored. Unfortunately, it didn't save the progress I had made. I opened the play store and it showed it was installed so I clicked play from there. It brought me to the opening screen to create a new character. It also gave me the option to pin it to the taskbar. I did that and I can now open either the Windows version or the Steam version. This time I just used the trial DLC instead of buying it. It seems to be saving my progress now so I'll buy the DLC again after the trial is over. I appreciate your help on my question - thanks!

Hi Sandy,

sorry for reaching out with a delay. 

Do you still need any help? :)

Hi, anna_svecova - I think by adding the Windows version shortcut to the taskbar, it might have solved my problem. If that changes after I repurchase the DLC, I'll let you know. The new Windows character name I'm using is MiniMe2 now but I still have my SandyT Steam account as well. I appreciate you checking on this! Thanks! Sandy

8-26-22 

I discovered that by creating the shortcut in my taskbar, it loads the game from Bohemia instead of Steam. This works! The first time I used the shortcut, it asked me to choose which account to associate to it. It allowed me to choose the SandyTee account (the one I purchased the DLC) so life is good!! The MiniMe2 account is no longer used. I wanted to put this on here in case anyone else was having trouble. I wanted to start a new character so I could start at the beginning to see how the game works with all the improvements and that is working good - but I didn't want to lose my main account that I've worked on for years. Thanks!

Edited by SandyT
New information
  • Like 1