Sign in to follow this  
Aleš Ulm

Sneak Peek #39

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

Before we get to discuss cool features that you can expect to see in the game in the future, let me first touch two specific topics.

Initially, we planned to release the game at the end of November but it will actually happen in early December. This is more of a marketing decision (you‘ll understand why when we get there) and it has nothing to do with the current state of the game. Also, don‘t mistake this with the release of the Countless Colors update, which will happen in November. So, if you own the game already this doesn‘t really affect you - just don‘t be surprised if you see that the Steam release date changed to December :) 

Also, some time ago we talked about Dedicated servers and what we planned for them. We didn‘t put it aside and forgot about it - next week we‘re going to tell you more about what we‘re going to do, how is the public beta going to work and how, if you feel like it, you will be able to help us with that.

Now let‘s get to game features. For some time now we have been going over our „tech tree“, analyzed what it lacks, which workstations work, which feel unnecessary and which we are missing. We revised ways of creating certain objects, particular ingredients, and their necessity. Based on that we did some changes to the tech tree, which you will experience in the upcoming update. While many changes won‘t be visible right away, we believe we managed to improve the overall crafting experience. The formulas have also been divided into several tiers (or „eras“), which will allow for a better filtering and easier orientation. What we feel still needs to be done in order for the crafting to be really good is to rework workstation GUIs that are still more of placeholders than a real thing and do some adjustments to the crafting panel.

House.png
Once the energy barrier generator is added to the game, your cozy rooms will be safe from griefers. Courtesy of Adrie

We proceed with designing the energy barrier generator that you will be able to use to protect your house etc. Currently, in Explore we see it working in the following way - you will start with a portable type of this generator which, unfortunately, got damaged as your ship crashed. The energy bits are intact but you‘ll need to fix some mechanical parts. For that you will have to create some iron parts, meaning that you will have to play for some time in order to make it work. Once it‘s fixed, you will be able to place it and turn it on. From that moment other players won‘t be able to destroy, build, terraform or paint inside of the created barrier (its exact size still needs to be decided). However, there will be a way to overcome these limits for those you consider worthy. Please note that the barrier won‘t protect you from being attacked, your items from being stolen etc.
If at some point you create a better house at a different location, you‘ll simply shut the generator down and take it with you wherever it‘s needed. Later in the game, you will be able to create generators like this (and even more powerful), but be warned that creating those will be anything but easy.

And speaking of securing your things - we can now confirm that in addition to the usual padlock, in the upcoming update even those that use codes or passwords will be available.

And that‘s about it for now. We‘ll be looking forward to talking to you in a week - until then you have a great time and stay classy, ylanders!

• Upvote 3

Very nice idea for the energy barrier! Some suggestions/questions:

Make the non build, paint and terraform area larger than the non destroy area. This way people won't build all the way on the edges of the barrier and get built in right outside the barrier,

Will there be a way to grant rights to friends/groups of players?

Please make the initial broken generator non lootable/droppable and also not respawnable if you die, otherwise it's more worthwhile to farm players for generators, either voluntarily or involuntarily. The player made ones could be droppable ofcourse :) 

Adrie

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

Will there be a way to grant rights to friends/groups of players?

1 hour ago, Aleš Ulm said:

However, there will be a way to overcome these limits for those you consider worthy.

Or you meant something else? :)

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ane said:

Or you meant something else? :)

Ah, I thought you meant that with enough force you could still raid people :D But sounds good! Enjoy your weekends!

Adrie

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

Please make the initial broken generator non lootable/droppable and also not respawnable if you die, otherwise it's more worthwhile to farm players for generators, either voluntarily or involuntarily. The player made ones could be droppable ofcourse :)

You are right. Our idea is to have only one portable generator for each player, usable only by its original owner (and potential heirs that may follow in the game session, ie spawns of the same player account) in any game so this really should not be a problem.

• Upvote 3

I've been thinking about one more thing: How about cars/boats? Are they standard equipped with protection or is there gonna be a way to protect them? If we can get larger doors we can store our cars safe inside, but ships would need a mobile generator I believe. What would happen if 2 generators overlap, say you sail your ship right next to someones house on the coast? Etc. :) 

Adrie

You made a very good point with cars - we've already discussed that we're gonna some need large doors so that players can build garages and you're also right about the ships being a bit trickier to protect. The easiest way of protecting your ship that comes to mind is building your house next to a pier where your ship would be stationed so that they are both in the zone covered by the generator. That is something that will definitely be possible - but it is obviously problematic in several aspects. You'd have to make sure that you returned your ship there every single time before logging off etc. Placing the generator on the ship itself would solve that but having mobile generators brings up other issues - especially the problem with two (or more generators) overlapping which, if not handled properly, could lead to it becoming exploits. One of the possible ways of solving most of those issues that comes to mind would be to say that while a generator placed on a solid surface creates a zone, the one placed on a vehicle affects only the vehicle itself (all the blocks and items connected in any way to hull/chassis but not the space around it). That being said we still have to look into mobile generators more.

On the question of marking, of course I understand. Ylands is a game that should reach many people!

The generator looks very good to me (better after the debate) This guarantees us something more by the effort!

A subject that always tells me a lot in every game, is the interface. Would you like to know if you are planning changes for something like balloons? I worry about excess balloons in the game menus. (I use the windows magnifier at 600% otherwise I can not read anything). The way it is structured today allows me to keep track of everything. The program follows the focus of the cursor, the balloons will always be impossible to read.

Anyway, all the good coming around.