Sign in to follow this  
enchiladas

Gallant Galoot: Small ship built off grid

Hello folks!

I wanted to share with you a smallish ship that I built over the past few days. Building off-grid is significantly more time consuming than building on the grid, but the shapes you can make are basically unrestricted because you can clip blocks into each other and rotate them however you like. While many of you probably already know this, it was something I discovered very recently. Here are some screenshots of the mostly finished ship, which I call the Gallant Galoot.

Ylands_220903_085242.jpg.19143b6ae7a18e3dd912217981814d46.jpg

Ylands_220903_085359.thumb.jpg.4e898e456dff808454ae93ab2c19e848.jpg

The reason I say it is mostly finished is because I do not yet have the painting tool, so I cannot paint the ship in the way I would like. Other than that, the downsides to building off grid are, like I said earlier, that it takes quite a while to get everything to be rotated and moved just right, and even when you put the time in, you will still end up with lots of creases and lines as you can probably see. The other is that getting things to be symmetrical is almost impossible. I settled for "good enough from a distance" but even so, it took quite a while and I also used blocks on the grid as a sort of level to get curves and angles to line up, then deleted the "grid" blocks once I was satisfied. All in all, this is going to be how I build ships from now on. The last downside is that I dont think you can blueprint builds built off grid, so unless I am mistaken, the only way you'll get to sail on the Gallant Galoot is if I sail her to you.

Anyways, I be wishin' you a fair wind on your voyages,

Enchiladas!

• Like 5

Great build! I saw this on discord earlier and wish you good luck completing furnishing her and happy sailing!

You can blueprint off-grid builds in adventure/exploration mode.  More so, if you're feeling in the sharing-mood then you can make a Creator Blueprint of anything from the editor and publish to the Ylands workshop.

These used to show up in create.ylands.com like this (https://create.ylands.com/asset_detail/16586) but right now the browsing feature doesn't work online in a browser.  Fear not though, from the editor under "blueprints > downloaded" there is a "get creator blueprints" option which still allows players to browse/search for published Creator Blueprints.  From there, players can make a copy Game Blueprints and build in adventure/exploration mode.

Awesome build :D love the curvy shapes! I've considered using tilted sails before but decided against it, it looks pretty cool I have to say.

Edit: Also, @Nikki Severin @anna_svecova, why did you change the name of the "Community Creations" topic to "Community News"? It makes no sense, and has clearly resulted in this user posting their creation in "General Discussion", since it's not clear where it should be posted :P It just seems like a really unneccessary change that makes the forum more confusing. If you wan't more engagement in the "Community News" section, consider not placing it at the bottom of the forum page. 

Edited by zarwil