anna_svecova

Dev Diary #241 That One Recipe You're Missing

Hey there, fellow Ylanders!

Some time ago, we discussed the improvements to the crafting UI which should make the crafting easier and more user-friendly. Crafting, however, is not only about the interface, but also the actual recipes. And that's what we would like to talk about today.

For quite some time, all the recipes, both "core" and "extra" (let's call them "aesthetic"), have been available to players to open right from the start of the game. You picked a few objects, and BOOM, you could suddenly craft a hundred objects more.  Not only was this massively overwhelming, but also getting those aesthetic recipes without any effort made them feel cheap and took away the joy of having those. So what we did was remove those from the commonly accessible recipes and players were able to learn those by exploring various Random Encounters.

In hindsight, we think that making the aesthetic recipes harder to get was a good decision, however, from the feedback we received, it is obvious that this system doesn't work well for those who are looking to find a specific recipe (or more of them).

Today, we would like to share with you an idea that we're currently discussing. We're thinking about introducing trainers, which would offer to teach you various aesthetic recipes in exchange for Exploration Points. Not only will players get the Points from discovering Random Encounters but, newly, also by completing dungeons (which are coming soon).  In general, we believe this will make the system more intuitive, predictable and rewarding.  

DD241.png

So, what do you think? Would you like to have an option to get recipes you need in exchange for something you gather by exploration or fighting?

That's it for today and we'll talk to you again in a week. Until then ... stay classy, Ylanders!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

CZ

Bude možné si koupit body průzkumu za coiny? Jakožto dlouhodobý hráč který chce získat speciální suroviny na mýtická zvířata na mystery ostrovech, musím zažívat nudu při získávání průzkumných bodů u náhodných setkání která již znám abych se dostal na mystery ostovy které mám také všechny několikrát dohrané. 

EN

Will it be possible to buy exploration points with coins? As a long-time player who wants to get special materials for mythical beasts on mystery islands, I have to experience the boredom of getting exploration points from random encounters that I already know to get to mystery islands that I have also completed several times.

I think this is a great idea!  Very classy putting the medieval windows on their table in the screenshot 😛

6 hours ago, anna_svecova said:

Would you like to have an option to get recipes you need in exchange for something you gather by exploration or fighting?

Would this mean clearing out caves might also give exploration points, or is this just in reference to the dungeons?

I'm curious to hear more about what the team comes up with!  Thanks and awesome work ❤️

• Like 2

This sounds like an outstanding idea. I’ve got a ton of accumulated exploration points that are pretty much worthless once unlocking islands.

By using them to purchase recipies would introduce a ‘progression loop’ which would keep players interested. I am opposed to the earlier suggestion to monetise Exploration points however as it would set a dangerous example. Good job guys! 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 11:17 AM, Jarda said:

CZ

Bude možné si koupit body průzkumu za coiny? Jakožto dlouhodobý hráč který chce získat speciální suroviny na mýtická zvířata na mystery ostrovech, musím zažívat nudu při získávání průzkumných bodů u náhodných setkání která již znám abych se dostal na mystery ostovy které mám také všechny několikrát dohrané. 

EN

Will it be possible to buy exploration points with coins? As a long-time player who wants to get special materials for mythical beasts on mystery islands, I have to experience the boredom of getting exploration points from random encounters that I already know to get to mystery islands that I have also completed several times.

Ahoj,

Proberu to s tymem, diky :)

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 5:15 PM, BinarySemaphore said:

I think this is a great idea!  Very classy putting the medieval windows on their table in the screenshot 😛

Would this mean clearing out caves might also give exploration points, or is this just in reference to the dungeons?

I'm curious to hear more about what the team comes up with!  Thanks and awesome work ❤️

Hi,
No this means that the trainers would sell them. :) Plus dungeons would generate Exploration Points, not caves.