anna_svecova

Dev Diary #246 Listen, Playlands, we need to talk

Hey there, fellow Ylanders! 🌴

Unless you've stayed far away from Ylands for the last two years you know that the whole time we've been focusing on Adventure (aka Exploration). And because of that, we don't have enough time to work on another part of the game that keeps screaming for help - Playlands.

There were several reasons behind the creation of Playlands. Primarily it was meant to become a kind of social hub, where Ylands players would meet and just have some silly fun together in an optimized environment that allowed for a larger number to be present simultaneously. It helped us optimize the multiplayer code and gain a lot of experience while making the minigame in the Editor.

However, right now Playlands are pretty much dead. Partly due to their flawed design which makes it difficult for players to instantly play and enjoy any content, and partly because they're simply a remnant of times when Ylands was leaning more towards Roblox-kind of a platform game and those times are, fortunately, gone. 

Could we make it work better, a more fun, intuitive and rewarding experience with what we learned since we introduced it?
Possibly.

Is it worth it / do we want to?
Not really. We believe that time is better spent improving Adventure and all that's related to it. Also, we have the powerful Editor and feel that making cool small games works better if they're part of the custom games ecosystem, instantly accessible by anyone willing to play them.

DD246.jpg

Long story short - in 1.11 we're removing Playlands. The minigames from it will eventually become available as separate custom games to play for anyone and so the love we put into them won't be wasted.

Playlands, however, are not just minigames. Players can gain points there which they use to select clothes they wear in other custom games. This functionality will be removed from Playlands and, later, made very likely part of the player's profile. In the meantime, we'll keep your avatars dressed as they were before the 1.11 releases.

Please note that if you're playing just the Adventure, the removal of Playlands will not affect you in any way.

Until next time...

Stay classy!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, anna_svecova said:

Remnant of times when Ylands was leaning more towards Roblox-kind of a platform game and those times are, fortunately, gone. 

That's a really nice sentence to read on this Friday day. It was a weird time 😁

• Like 1

So glad, the couple of times I've tried this it was empty, boring and really took away from my opinion I had of the game from before.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 6:50 AM, steam-76561198099811880 said:

Why can't we seize the opportunity to build a game platform similar to ROBLOX?

We already tried that in the past. We didn't like the concept. However that still doesn't mean that you can't create mini games in Editor and share them with friends :). We just won't have Playlands anymore.

17 hours ago, anna_svecova said:

我们过去已经尝试过。我们不喜欢这个概念。但这并不意味着您不能在编辑器中创建小游戏并与朋友分享:)我们只是不再拥有 Playlands。

When can we focus on improving the editor's ability? At present, I feel that there are still many things I can't do. For example, the team logic is not very useful in the actual application of the game. Do you consider resetting or improving such functions