Aleš Ulm

Dedicated Server FAQ

This thread contains information about the Ylands Dedicated Server (DS) - its current state, plans we have for it and progress towards our goals. Any discussion related to DS should ideally take place in here.

What is the current state of DS? Why is it not a part of Ylands Steam distribution?

DS was introduced to Ylands a long time ago in a rather basic (and buggy) form, which we considered something that we would work on and improve. Unfortunately, we didn't find enough time to do so and DS stayed in a rather unsatisfactory state for quite a long time. Since we know that we won't have enough time to improve it substantially before we are released on Steam, we decided to remove it from the Steam distribution altogether and made it available as a "public beta" to those who are sure they want to give it a try / help us improve it before it's good enough. 

When will you focus on DS? Where can we expect the first improvements?

DS improvements (although a more accurate description would be "massive overhaul") will become our priority once the game has been released on Steam and we've taken care of all the critical issues that may arise as a result of the game becoming available to a larger number of players - our estimate is that the works will start in January 2018. Our progress will be communicated through this thread.

How will DS change? What are you planning to implement?

I will separate our plans for this into two areas. The first one is what we plan to do about the Server monitor, running the server and performing administration. The second area will be about our plans specific to dealing with disruptive player behavior - those plans will be discussed here at a later date since they are not yet finalized. In general, we will be providing more exact implementation details to everything as soon as we get to fully focus on it.

The following is what we know at this point (feel free to discuss it below). Please note that we decided to start with the bare minimum and move forward only once we and you are 100% happy with how it works.

* we believe that DS will be, in general, run by tech-savvy users, so instead of putting effort into making visually nice tools we will try to come up with tools that will be visually minimalistic but provide all the functionality needed

* Server monitor will be removed altogether and replaced by a command line. You will be able to run DS from the command line while specifying a config file containing all the required information. Based on that file an appropriate game will be started. The config file will contain other settings as well (like information if the game should auto-restart after given time etc.)

* using the console instead of a visual app also makes sense since Ylands - when running in dedicated server mode - requires no video card as well

* initially all events will be logged to a file that the user will be able to check continuously (tail)

* those with admin rights will be able to perform operations like banning, kicking, forcing restarts etc. either via console or from the game itself (if they log in and are recognized as admins based on info provided in the config file)

Where can I get the current version of DS?

UPDATE: with version 0.6.2 we managed to update DS to work with Steam. In the upcoming days we will be contacting those who have asked us about DS in the past and provide them with instructions on how to get it and use it. If you don't hear from us in a day or two or haven't contacted us at all but still want to give it a try, let us know via PM.

How can I help? Should I take part in this?

Right now the downloadable version contains the (largely unchanged) "old" DS version. You can use it even now but we'll be more interested in your feedback once we start working on the new version and make it available to you. In the meantime, we would be grateful if, in this thread, you'd tell us about features and tools you think you need, ones that you like in other games or share with us anything else you believe should be said :).

Thank you!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, D.Devil said:

How many players will the servers be able to support?

8 players

Edited by BigBoss87

1 hour ago, goas said:

When will the cmdLine based Serverfiles arrive?

They said they would start working on it mid January.

• Upvote 1

Hi guys,

just a quick update. We indeed plan to start working on the cmdLine based server in the second half of January.

Unfortunately, the DS beta that worked pre-Steam isn't working with the current Steam version (long story short - we need to make sure that you will be able to host and play at the same time with a single steam account/key). We want to implement this in that DS Beta so that you have at least something to play with before the shiny new version arrives. We'll try to make this beta work again as soon as possible (unfortunately, right now we're trying to cope with all the new players and focus on critical bugs that prevent them from playing). Hopefully, soon I will be able to give you, here, in this thread, some estimate. Thank you for your patience!

damn! just ordered a extra dedicate machine to host couple ylands for my community :\

any eta when this will be fixed ?

We are working on it and we'd like to have them as soon as possible, can't really give any time estimates at this point, sorry. 

On 7-12-2017 at 5:44 PM, winglessraven said:

Will the current files run on a headless linux environment?

This idea has got my attention as well, I never used linux but all I know is I pay quite a few € a month now just to have windows, so if Linux is cheaper/free then that would be more than welcome!

Will you been able to customize the server’s “mission” like you are able to in Arma 3? What type of customizations will the player have with their own server?

Edited by Swerveio

will you increase players that server support ? like 30 or more? in the future i mean

13 hours ago, vengz said:

will you increase players that server support ? like 30 or more? in the future i mean

We'd like to increase the number, yes. Can't really say a specific number at the moment.

11 hours ago, Clint Baldwin said:

Can I download this anywhere?

Not at the moment, sorry.

and another question for me and my friends , will you work on pvp? like attacking islands and war ships and...

• Like 1

Now that the game has been released, what is the state of the dedicated server? If it has not been fixed and vastly improved, I will not bother hosting one or playing for that matter. This kind of game will not survive without dedicated servers, so this has to be priority.

Edited by TE5LA

As well, will the servers be customizable as the ports, pvp, and map? And are we going to expect a beta with the DS?

Would LOVE an invite as well given the current news!!

Edited by Gavin Heil
New news

I have old Dell server hardware at home (R715, dual AMD 12-core CPU) that does not have Steam installed. I use it to host game servers for other games that I play with friends (Factorio and ARK currently).

I would much prefer if a dedicated server did not require me to use steam, and most importantly, if it does not show me as playing Ylands while only the DS is running (and I'm not playing the Game).

My and my bro play exclusively on our own dedi servers when we can, so we'll definitely be looking into this as soon as it's available.

Hi! Here's a little update you may find interesting.

With the upcoming version 0.6.2 we managed to update DS to work with Steam. In the upcoming days we will be contacting those who have asked us about DS in the past and provide them with instructions on how to get and use it. If you don't hear from us in a day or two after 0.6.2 has been released or haven't contacted us at all but still want to give it a try, let us know via PM.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Hi! Here's a little update you may find interesting.

With the upcoming version 0.6.2 we managed to update DS to work with Steam. In the upcoming days we will be contacting those who have asked us about DS in the past and provide them with instructions on how to get and use it. If you don't hear from us in a day or two after 0.6.2 has been released or haven't contacted us at all but still want to give it a try, let us know via PM.

This is great news, please definitely get in touch with us, we're a community of 30 odd players at the moment and we'd absolutely love a dedi.

image.png.59dd707988355a6fc8826b1875e09c4d.png