Aleš Ulm

Dedicated Server FAQ

Hi i was just wondering if there is anyway that my friends and i could get a copy of the dedicated server to continue our world current it doesn't let us join anymore!

On 12/8/2017 at 6:17 PM, WijkagentAdrie said:

This idea has got my attention as well, I never used linux but all I know is I pay quite a few € a month now just to have windows, so if Linux is cheaper/free then that would be more than welcome!

Linux is open source. It can be free but some distributions charge. It is much more efficient and reliable than Windows servers, thus the reason most servers use it, probably 80% or more of the Internet runs on it. Most dedicated server hosts charge less for a Linux-based server because it costs them less.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, FrogTerra said:

Hi i was just wondering if there is anyway that my friends and i could get a copy of the dedicated server to continue our world current it doesn't let us join anymore!

Perhaps you (Bohemia) should start a dedicated server alpha testing group. You appear to have a lot of interested parties here. You could sign up testers and supply a private link with server builds before releasing a buggy build to the general public. I know this sounds a bit crazy, but... :)

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, TE5LA said:

Perhaps you (Bohemia) should start a dedicated server alpha testing group. You appear to have a lot of interested parties here. You could sign up testers and supply a private link with server builds before releasing a buggy build to the general public. I know this sounds a bit crazy, but... :)

That's what we're doing right now :)

I have a gaming community with around 300 people, a bunch of us have fallen in love with this game.

We have a dedicated server in Germany I'd love to host this game on.

Can I get the needed information to get the server up and running?

Thank you.

-Rawdee

On 1/2/2018 at 5:06 AM, Ane said:

That's what we're doing right now :)

Since I was one of the first to inquire, where's the info?

I posted my request in the wrong spot before I think.   

I would like to join the dedicated server beta please.

Cheers.

Hello would it still be possible for us to test out the dedicated server files? I'd love to try them out thanks in advance! :)

I have a group of friends and am capable of hosting a dedicated server as well. Willing to send diagnostic info or whatever may be needed to help with testing!

Я хотел бы получить информацию о DS и принять участие в ее тестировании.

I too would like to try the dedicate server beta. I have a group of work friends who want to have a dedicated server for family and friends. I would love you forever for a beta invite.

Edited by -Textra-

I to would like to test the dedicated server, I have set up and run servers for most of the games I play with friends and family from Ark to Tarraria

I, started playing this game and so far I have bought 4 copies of the game for friends and family so we can play together!

We are a pretty tech-competent and would like to beta test the DS!

I would also like to test the dedicated server. I work in IT and got a small group of friends that I play Ylands with regularly.

Hopefully this works.  It was posting with the wrong account somehow.

Hey there - 

I just wanted to chime in here.  

I'm a very experienced game server admin, ex-gamedev, programmer and professional sr. linux admin and private server administrator for a dozen games.

Three  things right off - 

- make your dedicated server use a different steam appID and don't require a steam login to d/l and run it.  
- when it runs, have it change the executable description so that it doesn't collide with steam's 'already running app' detection
- have the commandline for your dedicated server accept a base dir for the gamesave that includes the server config file 

take care of those three things and you're eliminated 80% of the problems that people making dedi servers using steamplay api and unity create for themselves.

A linux executable would be highly appreciated.  I can generate all of your necessary update and run scripts and publish them to support you.

All that said, I want in on the dedi server beta.  I'm very useful and can find my way around VS / unity debugger.  Give me your symbol table for builds and I'll help debug if you're so motivated.

As a side note, If you're thinking of paying for hosting, I would stay from Nitrado, I have had nothing but problems from them since day 1. Simply put, the hosting that I paid for has never worked, their customer service line is a busy signal 90% of the time and the 10% of the time there is an answer, its a recording to call back during business hours, even though all my calls have been within business hours (6 hours before their close). Out of the 5 tickets that I've submitted, Nitrado hasn't responded to a single one and one of them was closed without a reply. I've used hosting services in the past for other games and have never experienced anything as bad as Nitrado. Literally, no one at Nitrado has ever done anything to reply or address my issues, it has been a waste of time and money.

Edited by Whane The Whip

21 hours ago, Whane The Whip said:

As a side note, If you're thinking of paying for hosting, I would stay from Nitrado, I have had nothing but problems from them since day 1. Simply put, the hosting that I paid for has never worked, their customer service line is a busy signal 90% of the time and the 10% of the time there is an answer, its a recording to call back during business hours, even though all my calls have been within business hours (6 hours before their close). Out of the 5 tickets that I've submitted, Nitrado hasn't responded to a single one and one of them was closed without a reply. I've used hosting services in the past for other games and have never experienced anything as bad as Nitrado. Literally, no one at Nitrado has ever done anything to reply or address my issues, it has been a waste of time and money.

NFO Servers is a good hosting company. Tech support is 24/7 and usually have response within minutes.

10 minutes ago, TE5LA said:

NFO Servers is a good hosting company. Tech support is 24/7 and usually have response within minutes.

Thanks for that. I did end up with another host and so far I've had no issues with them. I did however find the site for NFO and I book marked them as a reference to check out should I encounter issues with my new host. Nitrado contacted me today (took them 5 days) and they offered me a few days for free lol, and this was in reply to my last ticket telling them that I want a refund... a few days free for a host that does not work, that's rich. What a ripoff. And they didn't even address any of the issues that I reported, they didn't offer to fix anything, all they did was copy and paste the same message they send to everyone which can be summarized as:

"So so sorry, we're keeping your money, we'll give you 7 days for free, but we won't fix anything so you get 7 more days of a broken server."

They said that they couldn't reply earlier because they were busy with customers... yeah, everyone is complaining and they just keep taking money.

Edited by Whane The Whip

5 hours ago, Whane The Whip said:

Thanks for that. I did end up with another host and so far I've had no issues with them. I did however find the site for NFO and I book marked them as a reference to check out should I encounter issues with my new host. Nitrado contacted me today (took them 5 days) and they offered me a few days for free lol, and this was in reply to my last ticket telling them that I want a refund... a few days free for a host that does not work, that's rich. What a ripoff. And they didn't even address any of the issues that I reported, they didn't offer to fix anything, all they did was copy and paste the same message they send to everyone which can be summarized as:

"So so sorry, we're keeping your money, we'll give you 7 days for free, but we won't fix anything so you get 7 more days of a broken server."

They said that they couldn't reply earlier because they were busy with customers... yeah, everyone is complaining and they just keep taking money.

Yes, I've used them a lot for game hosting. They also give you a free Mumble server and website space with a game server. I won't be doing a Ylands server because the server won't even run for me. I have no problem with dozens of other servers.

• Downvote 1