Sign in to follow this  
Aleš Ulm

Sneak Peek #41

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

Let’s talk about what happened this week at our offices.

Firstly we created a thread that we would like to use to inform you about the current state of the Dedicated Server support (DS), our progress and where we can discuss its development. Since the time when we focus primarily on DS is still some weeks away, it contains rather general information only about the first steps we intend to take and will be expanded later - your ideas, though, are welcome at any time :). The thread can be found here.

Currently, we’re finalizing several features at once. The padlocks (both lockable with locks and codes or passwords/phrases) are working great and so are the special containers you will be able to craft and carry in your inventory. Specific objects will be placed inside those automatically (or manually), making the inventory more organized and spacious. We believe Herb bags, Keychains, Seed packet boxes, Material containers and others will make dealing with items much more straightforward and fun. So no more going through all your keys to find the right one - just use the keychain on the locked door and it’s done!

GTA.png
Teaser alert! Meet us or your friends on this brand new yland once we're released on Steam!

The painting system is almost finished - now we’re mostly figuring out how to make the controls and feedback as user-friendly as possible while doing some balancing as well (basically where can you get pigments from, how many you need etc.). 

New character controls are almost ready as well and controlling the avatar now feels way better than before.

The radial menu is coming along quite nicely - right now we’re doing tests about how effective it would be to control terraformer options through it and the results are quite promising :).

There are also two or three more features that are pretty much finished as well but I’ll tell you more about those in the next Sneak Peek! Until then you have a great time and stay classy!

• Upvote 3

The "containters" we will be able to craft will get a spot in the backpack slot? :) that wold be awesome so you can keep your special personal items safe. Will it also be possible to link 1 of the items from that container to a fast switch button? Like a lantern? 

The padlock system will make a lot of the MP servers much more fun to play on as you can "keep your personal items safe" untill you return, and not coming back to find out that your hidden chest has been emptied by a other player ;)

• Upvote 1

@A3_Melle Each of those will take up one inventory slot (you can have more than one of those) - what you mean is that "equipping" one of them would keep it separate from other things in the inventory and prevent you from accidentally dropping those? If that is your concern I can see how we could make some critical objects (like a keychain) popup a confirmation window whenever you try to remove it from your inventory.

In (probably 0.7) we're planning on improving the concept of those bags even further - for example by letting players quickly access objects from the bags they have in hotbar without actually having to enter inventory etc. We're also experimenting with accessing most commonly used item from the newly introduced radial menu (not sure if this radial menu feature will make it to 0.6).

Yes, we are very happy with how padlocks work at this moment but we're looking forward to feedback we get when players actually start using them :).

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Aleš Ulm looking fowerd to is and yes it is my fear to "lose" the object wenn it will be in my regular inventory, so a little warning on that "container" wenn you are about to drop it would be great :-) either way I am sure the @Ylands Team will find a great way to make it work perfectly and safe so we won't lose a key from our inventory :-) 

Played some DayZ last week and this got me thinking: if you have such a object in your inventory (container with a personal key as example) and I "kill" the other player, all his gear will drop on the ground and makes me able to pick up that container and take out the special key, and if I have his key I will have access to his chest/locked object.

Good point! Actually, I will be talking about this (along with other things) in this week's Sneak Peek so stay tuned! :)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, A3_Melle said:

Played some DayZ last week and this got me thinking: if you have such a object in your inventory (container with a personal key as example) and I "kill" the other player, all his gear will drop on the ground and makes me able to pick up that container and take out the special key, and if I have his key I will have access to his chest/locked object.

I'm guessing "non droppable" or "non transferrable" items would fix this, but I honestly believe the best way to fix this is by using code locks on your house :) There's no fun in adventuring if there's no risk right?

In case code locks are far more expensive than normal locks you could always put your key pouch inside a single code lock protected chest, this way you could store your keys quite cheap and safe.

Adrie

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

I'm guessing "non droppable" or "non transferrable" items would fix this, but I honestly believe the best way to fix this is by using code locks on your house :) There's no fun in adventuring if there's no risk right?

In case code locks are far more expensive than normal locks you could always put your key pouch inside a single code lock protected chest, this way you could store your keys quite cheap and safe.

Adrie

True there has to be a "risk" level in a survival game.

1 hour ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

Adrie

I completely agree but I think for now the team is afraid of alienating more casual users and I think it is not so big deal.

7 minutes ago, Myrik Greene said:

I completely agree but I think for now the team is afraid of alienating more casual users and I think it is not so big deal.

Fair enough as well, I'm looking forward to the next sneak peek to see what's gonna happen with it :)