Sign in to follow this  
Amber Icon

Formula Based Position Editing

It would be nice, and convenient if the ability to use simple math in position editing/movement steps were added.

For example, it would be nice if I wanted to move a structure precisely to just in a coordinate or angle selection type +/- .475 or 13 degrees. Especially when trying to make things symmetrical.

Or for example I could take the base movement step and add times 10 or divided by 2, 3 or 4.

I think it's not a crazy request, and I don't think it would be incredibly difficult to implement.

I don't know if I understand correctly what you mean, but it seems to me that everything you mention here can be done in the editor

11 minutes ago, Mello1223 said:

I don't know if I understand correctly what you mean, but it seems to me that everything you mention here can be done in the editor

It appears that you are partially correct. However, while it seems that this does work with integers for position and angle, it does not work for decimals, so you can perform X+-5, but not X+-.5 which isn't as helpful since you likely aren't using as complex numbers as when dealing with decimals.

Additionally the Custom Constraints setting while allowing for multiplication/division, doesn't seem to actually correlate with the world grid. That is to say that a .5 m Move step does not move a block .5 m, but rather .66 m

it also works with decimal numbers, but you have to write a dot instead of a comma. and the basic setting of the grid is 0.375, this means that if you want to move something by one basic building block,( in grid= global mode )  you have to move it by 0.375m. it is set to avatar size. avatar is the size of 5 basic building blocks, which means it is 1,875 m high,like +/- real person

image.png.2d49c5869ccd9437e9f9dd9a63e9f40d.png
This is default movement. 1 movement step 1m = 1 basic block side.

image.png.c585d5ff8a29512c97f6b757f5c3fae6.png
This is a custome movement with 1 movement step set to 1/2 or .5 m. It clearly does not let you move an object 1/2 of a block side.

only 4 decimal places after the number are displayed, but if you use the number in a variable, it counts more decimal places

1 minute ago, Amber Icon said:

move it with step number set to 0.1875 which mean 1/2 basic building block

Edited by Mello1223

2 minutes ago, Mello1223 said:

move it with step number set to 0.1875 which mean 1/2 basic building block

That did work, but I am not able to just type in a decimal, only an integer. If I want a decimal I can only put in a formula, so in this case 1/5.333333 to give me .1875.

The thing that confuses me now, is why then is 1 the base movement? Why does 2 double it? 10 m is 10 base block sides. so 3.75, but that isn't what it is displayed as. :/

it would be much faster if you visited the official discord, there I can show you through the stream how you can set it up, or I'll watch your stream and find out why you can't write decimal numbers 
https://discord.gg/ylands

Edited by Mello1223

3 minutes ago, Mello1223 said:

it would be much faster if you visited the official discord, there I can show you through the stream how you can set it up, or I'll watch your stream and find out why you can't write decimal numbers

Maybe another time, I gotta start work.

steps.PNG

Hi, predefined sizes are in "grid size" (multiplications of 0.375 m). Mostly you want to use those.

Custom size is set in meters because otherwise it would be a really difficult to have movement step equal to 1 meter.

52 minutes ago, Houp said:

Dobrý deň, preddefinované veľkosti sú v "veľkosti mriežky" (násobenia 0,375 m). Väčšinou ich chcete použiť.

Vlastná veľkosť je nastavená v metroch, pretože inak by bolo naozaj ťažké mať krok pohybu rovný 1 metru.

I already explained it to him on discord :) the problem was that he wrote decimal numbers without a leading zero like :  " .1875"  but it must be " 0.1875"