Question

Ships, despite being one of the most essential aspects of Ylands Adventure Mode, are seriously lacking, even after the amount of updates they have gone through. This post contains some of the suggestions I have for making sailing better in Ylands.

( 1 : More sails )

I know that there are already tons of different sail options, but there could still be more. The sails would most likely be cosmetic and wouldn't attribute much outside of what any other sail would provide, but the cooler the ship, the happier the sailor. I recommend adding Jib, Spinnaker, Genoa, Gennake, Code zero, and  Windseeker sail variants.

( 2 : Steam Ship Animations )

Currently, the Steam Ship Hull is unanimated apart from the rudder. The propellers don't spin even when using the Steam Engines and it looks weird. I'd like to see this changed about the Steam Ship Hull.

( 3 : Boarding Planks )

Boarding Planks would be either a placeable article, or something that's already attached to the hull by default, or both. The Boarding Plank would extend/retract when the player interacts with it, providing decent means to disembark without falling between the ship and whatever solid body you're parked against.

( 4 : HUD Improvements )

Currently, the Ship Devices aren't displayed on the HUD, making them difficult to work with when piloting a ship. It would be helpful if the values of the Ship Devices that've been placed were displayed on the HUD when piloting the Helm.

( 5 : Increase Maximum Sailing Speed With Engines )

Of course, when using sails, the ship is bound to be slow, but it's the same speed when using Engines. Engines currently offer the convenience of propelling any one's ship up to the maximum current sailing speed cap without the need for full sail, but I believe they should offer a greater speed cap when being used. It'd make Engine's even more worth it to have on a ship.

( 6 : Fuel Reserves )

Currently, Engines can only hold a very limited amount of fuel, and must be refueled individually. I recommend adding some sort of placeable building that Engines automatically draw fuel from without the express need for the player to manually refuel the engines.

( 7 : Ship Hull Additions )

We already have respectable variants of ship afts and fores, but I want something that I can place that will match the exterior of the ship whilst reserving space in the middle. I would like to see some sort of Hull Extension that allows for the player to raise the walls, aft, and fore of a ship, allowing for a simple way to add multiple decks without ruining the generic aesthetic of a ship. There could even be variants with portholes in them.

( 8 : Centered Helm variants )

Currently, every Helm variant is an odd number of tiles wide while every Ship Hull variant is an even number of tiles wide. I would like to see Helm variants that are evenly wide, enabling them to be easily centered on any ship.

( 9 Hull Reinforcement )

I would like to see some way for a Ship Hull to be upgraded in order to increase its maximum integrity.

( 10 : Engine Cosmetic Parts )

I would like a block that reacts to the Engines on a ship being on, specifically an exhaust port so that I can make working exhaust stacks and be cool.

These are all of the recomendations I have for now. I'll surely return soon with more weird ideas.

Edited by Hunter-Over-Fire
  • Upvote 2

1 reply to this bug / suggestion

I like your suggestions, having additional "cosmetic" sail and aft/fore options would be cool, they could just be variants of the existing ones and use the same recipes and when you go to place the sail down you could just press K/L to cycle through the variants or just select it from the crafting menu.

In regards to #5 and engine speeds, I'm not sure if you realise but max speed for ships is actually reached with sails when you have the wind at your back so it's advantageous to use sails over engines at that point. You will also go faster with engines if you are heading into the wind which I think makes perfect sense. The fact that the wind can change direction at any time means having a combination of sails/engines is very strategic now. Most ships max speeds were increased in this update as well. Now that we can travel to other maps/regions without needing to be at the border of the current map also helps.