Sign in to follow this  
Eriugam

A Few Questions..

Hi all,

I have been playing Ylands for a little while and have a few questions about the game, is anyone able to answer the below questions?

1. Do dropped & harvested items despawn?
In-game I cut a lot of trees down, items such as the sticks, bark and seeds appear to remain on the ground. I think this is the cause of a slight FPS drop when I walk towards these particular areas.

2. Is there anyway to flatten uneven ground?
I want to create a flat, even area for crowing crops (I know you can plant crops on uneven land)

3. Does the game have procedurally generated worlds?
The two seperate saves I am currently playing through seem very familiar..

4. How do I hotkey specific tools such as the axe?

5. Can you die from not keeping your character fed?

Any and all assistance is much appreciated, thank you in advance!

Edited by Eriugam
Grammar

@Eriugam ... Gather the seeds , and  replant them!  1 tree will drop 3 seeds. Use your  axe to destroy  stumps to allow  room for  them to grow. I  like to gateher up stuff like that and  store it in a specific  area   as i am sure it  becomes  necessary in crafting  future items  ( ie   resin for   crossbow  bolts...   wood pieces to  feed  forges  and smelters  etc.)

Flatten ground  with an iron shovel ...  the  spade  digs holes, and a shovel will flatten the ground if there's more  than 2  level areas around it.

To hotkey an item   ie   axe  weapon or food, select it in inventory, and equip then use   mouse  button. There's probably other ways  but that's the way I do it

You can die  from starvation, freezing, drowning, excessive high temperatures from forges - if too close,  falling, and  becoming the  food for  predators. Also  you  can  kill yourself  with explosions... such as hitting a powder keg with an  axe! 

As to worlds ..  i have   found  islands that are similar  looking...but  different!  The  game i am in at the moment   has no  caves on my  first  island...,  yet one nearby is like  Swiss cheese with  caverns....some  extending  out under the sea..

The  enjoyment of the game is  finding  things ..and  solving  issues  ...using   creativity ..  As to where to get things , or  how to craft,  that's  the learning  experience of the  game and part of the fun. We do not want to give away spoilers, but there are some issues..linked to  bugs  etc  that help is  needed/offered,  such as with the problematic  sharks that's currently  being  looked at by the  developers.

Explore and  enjoy!

• Upvote 1

@kimbuck Thank you for your detailed answers, much appreciated.

That's what I am enjoying about the game, discovering new and interesting things. Just earlier I discovered that you can use dirt and or sand to create new land.

• Upvote 1

Another trick ...build a stonemasons thing  next to where you extract stone/marble. When it  gets to become an ugly scar on the land and too deep,  make a  lot of  decorative  stone panels ... use them  to  cover the pit,  and place on top a reasonable layer of  dirt,  which you flatten and  turn into a plantation for  flax/cotton/grains/corn :D  

Also use  excess dirt to  extent  land and  make a  "U " shaped harbor  with a deep sea entry   opening... place  decorative   stone  block just above sea level to line the  docks  and make the opening wide  enough to  back your  ship  into . Place  2  towers  with lanterns at  entry to  aid in location/navigation.   Decorate  around the area with  flora...and   you have a  shark/free place  for    boarding..exiting your  ship.  If your  ship has a "security"  curtain around it,  make it  one  thickness higher than the dock  so its  easy to get in and out and  the  ship not getting  fouled.

Use the sand  for glass windows on ships/building ..also to craft a  torch ...  then you can  make a  mining helmet

I carry  a lot of  stone panels  in boxes on my ship ...so  when i find a new island to explore  i can build a ramp from  shore to the ship to avoid  sharks  etc

You will discover  more   each time you  play  xD

I am currently  getting  screen freezes ..i wonder if its got anything to do with  those  Chinese posters trying to spam the forums  or  BI  servers? - or  doing a  DDOS attack ?

• Upvote 1

@kimbuck I like to build a basic shelter/home and farm before exploring. Currently working on completing my current base, as you can see from the picture below, I still have a long way to go..

Ylands_171029_202445.png