These questions come from a new player that has played the 1-hour tutorial yesterday and then bought the game.  I now have about 4 hours of gameplay in a survival series.

Questions/Bugs:

I know we can dig, but how can we terraform and flatten the land?

What is the best home building method?  I am currently making a log house, and it is taking forever.

How do I make a chest?  I do not have anywhere to store my items; they are just laying all over the ground.

I have died 2x while chopping down trees.  It seems if you jump on the tree as it is falling the game kills you saying that you fell to your death.  It is an annoying way to die.  Is this a known issue?

Why can I not recover my items from my corps after I respawn?

You can take a lit torch walk up to a stick on the ground and light the stick with the torch to make a campfire.  Is this intentional?

I have made a few standing torches, the ones on my foundation "vanished" and the one on the ground did not.

Is there any way I can drop a whole stack of items instead of dropping them individually?

If we cannot have chests, bags, boxes, etc. for storage, PLEASE increase the stack count of items.  My camp is starting to look like a hoarder lives there lol!

Here is a video series of my progress so far.  Please if anyone has any tips or suggestions fell free to share.

• Upvote 1

Hi Gracekain!

Let me help you explore the world of Ylands ;)

I know we can dig, but how can we terraform and flatten the land?

Different tools perform different operations with terrain - try using pickaxe, shovel or spade and see which one suits your needs. Terrain can be also be easily adjusted (added, removed, painter over etc.) by item called Terraformer - if you don't mind "cheating" a bit in your survival game you can add it by "/additem terraformer" in game console (opened by ~ key) or by opening your scene in the Editor (Main menu/Edit/Open file).

What is the best home building method?  I am currently making a log house, and it is taking forever.

Building in survival mode is indeed more challenging than in the Editor. If you want build something fast, you may want to give the Editor a try (it can, as posted above, open and save your existing game). Or, if you find some aspect of the base building too difficult, let us know about what seems to be the biggest issue and we'll take a look at that! :) 

How do I make a chest?  I do not have anywhere to store my items; they are just laying all over the ground.

Most of the chest require wooden planks, hammer and nails (made from iron ingots which require smelting furnace).

I have died 2x while chopping down trees.  It seems if you jump on the tree as it is falling the game kills you saying that you fell to your death.  It is an annoying way to die.  Is this a known issue?

This sounds like a bug - we will check it out. Thanks!

Why can I not recover my items from my corps after I respawn?

Respawning (and possible consequences) is still something we are working on and will probably change at some point.

You can take a lit torch walk up to a stick on the ground and light the stick with the torch to make a campfire.  Is this intentional?

Yes, it is a quick way of creating a simple campfire.

I have made a few standing torches, the ones on my foundation "vanished" and the one on the ground did not.

That sounds like a bug. We'll discuss this and get back to you.

Is there any way I can drop a whole stack of items instead of dropping them individually?

Yes, whenever you are performing an operation with a stack of items (dragging and dropping them over to the scene to remove them etc.) hold Left Ctrl (by default) while clicking. Before the operation takes place you will be asked about the number of items affected.

If we cannot have chests, bags, boxes, etc. for storage, PLEASE increase the stack count of items.  My camp is starting to look like a hoarder lives there lol!

You should be able to create your own chest (see answer above) - but it is true we should add some that are really easy to create - thanks for the feedback, we'll definitely do something about this real soon! :)

If you encounter any additional issues or have more questions or comments just let us know!

Thanks a lot for the advice.  Yea, I figured out how to drop stacks.  As for the building, I wanted to make sure I was building the optimal way.  I know you can make blocks so I wasn't sure if I should be building another way.  Some type of leather bags for beginner storage would be nice.  It isn't too hard to get leather.  I didn't record footage of me falling off the tree to my death, nor did I get footage of my torch vanishing but I will keep an eye on them.  As for terraforming, I will do the best I can with the craftable tools.  I guess I may be able to make the terraformer later in game?

Edited by Gracekain

I recommend you to use clay bricks to build a home. :) It looks nice and its really cheap. You can get hundreds of clay(s) from one vein. Its much quicker than wooden houses. Or you can collect lot of grass and break it to get forage. And make your shelter out of that. But that doesnt look so nice... :P

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MichalMynář said:

I recommend you to use clay bricks to build a home. :) It looks nice and its really cheap. You can get hundreds of clay(s) from one vein. Its much quicker than wooden houses. Or you can collect lot of grass and break it to get forage. And make your shelter out of that. But that doesnt look so nice... :P

Awesome idea!  I took your advice and i was able to find some clay!  It took me an entire episode to find it but i got it done lol.  Keep an eye out for episode 4 lol.

6 hours ago, MichalMynář said:

I really enjoyed your video by the way. :D

Glad you enjoyed the video.  I am doing a series and the first 2 videos are uploaded and the 3rd and 4th videos are in editing so stay tuned. ;) 

3 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Yes, I second that - your video is really nice :) Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment!  I am enjoying the game a lot and I hope my video series can bring at least a few more people to the game.

Edited by Gracekain
  • Upvote 1