Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #2

Hi there, fellow ylanders!

Things have been little bit hectic in the last couple of days. We have returned from Unite '16 held in Los Angeles where for the first time ever we have presented the game to the general public after it has been announced (under the Bohemia Incubator brand). At first players were not sure what to actually expect from such a sophisticated game but once we found a proper and fun way to demonstrate how it's both a game and a platform for making one's own adventures, they became hooked, tried various scenarios and features (or tested the game to see how many animals you are allowed to spawn into the level - since we do not enforce any limits for this it is quite a lot, as you can see in one of the pictures :)). 

ylands_presentation.png

We had some business meetings there as well - although it is a bit early to talk about what these will mean for you, the players, I think it's safe to say that at least some will definitely result in Ylands become even better place.

While we were gone the rest of the team kept working on... yes, you guessed it - big customizable ships and I can tell you that we are definitely on the right track and the time for you to become the next Jack Sparrow is getting closer with each passing week. 

Do I hear you say "That sounds cool! But that's just the surface of the sea? What about the bottom? Will there be something interesting for us to explore, cool things to find?"

No, I don't, no one seems to be asking that at this moment... but I will answer that anyway because that is another feature we are excited about :) - yes, we are making sure that diving to those blue depths will become more meaningful and interesting. We will release more details soon.

And that's it for this week - looking forward to seeing you the next one and in the meantime, you stay classy, ylanders!

Edited by Aleš Ulm
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Aleš Ulm said:

big customizable ships

Oh...just awesome ! 

Apart from that, good news for the game, cool !

Hello I am very excited about the next update! Any ETA for a sneak peak in the future for it? Also will you guys ever make the water physics based? As in have the water move when you dig the land near it or have it move out of the way when a boat moves through it?

1 hour ago, CoolPrius said:

Any ETA for a sneak peak in the future for it? Also will you guys ever make the water physics based?

I'm pretty sure we will be able to show you something before the end of the next week.

As for the water - we're definitely not done with it but since there's probably not a single feature in the game that we wouldn't have some cool plans for so it will have to wait a bit. :) I think you should be able to see some additional water improvements sometime in the early 2017.

Keep up the great work. The Idea of being able to find "treasure" in the open seas sounds like an excellent idea.  I forget to mention that I enjoy finding the little surprises hidden in the sands and dirt in the exploration game.  So far I have found a truffle, few horseshoes, and a rusty can.  It adds a lot to the game, and it is fun to find those little treasures.

• Upvote 1

So is there a soft ballpark guesstimation on 0.19? really looking forward to it! Mostly because i'm a hoarder and leaving stuff behind when i leave the island makes me cry.

Well, if you put a chest or two on your new ship in 0.19 you won't, indeed, have to leave anything behind anymore :)

Our rough ETA for 0.19 is somewhere around the end of the next week - couple days later if some unexpected issues appear during the QA phase. 

I've bought the game a few days ago and it has been a really awesome experience so far, I'm happy to see the high pace of development and the current state.

Regarding the boats: I'm curious about both the physics behind them (wind direction, centre of weight) and whether there will be a possibility to build a cargohold below the waterline.

Also, can we have modular boat hulls like Lego used to have? So you can have a bow, stern and a player defined amount of middle pieces, to create different size boats?

Adrie

5 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Well, if you put a chest or two on your new ship in 0.19 you won't, indeed, have to leave anything behind anymore :)

Our rough ETA for 0.19 is somewhere around the end of the next week - couple days later if some unexpected issues appear during the QA phase. 

Oh happy days i wasn't expectingit that soon! looks good .19 will be out in time for my birthday! Thanks