Ane

Sneak Peek #15

Heyo!

Another week, another sneak peek! Since a lot of you have been asking, I'll start with the most important thing - the upcoming Boats & Buccaneers update will be available to play at the beginning of the next week! In case you've missed it, here's a recap of the things we've already mentioned that you can expect: large and customizable ships, cannons, underwater random encounters and a pirate-style scenario. And of course a bunch of fixes and tweaks as usual :P 

Ylands_161201_111430.png

It's not "Mêlée Island" but it has its charm as well, right? :P 

So now it's time to already start thinking about the next update! This time we want to focus on fixing the most pressing issues and giving some love to those features we think could be improved. We've created a list of our own, but we need your help as well! Tell us in the comments below this post what issues you think are more annoying or generally what things you'd like to see in the game. Of course, you can also count on having some presents to open (it'll be Christmas time, after all!)

And that is all for now! Looking forward to seeing the ships you come up with :)

Ane

• Upvote 2

I hope you guys don't take all my critique personal, so far I really enjoyed playing this game and the potential it has is huge. I can't wait to see where this is going!

Top priority:

-Indeed I'd like to play larger scenario's with my friends. There is very little fun in doing this game solo. Being able to play with friends will get many more players into this game.

0.19:

-I'd like to have modular boat hulls, so you can have multiple bows, sterns and middle sections. It would be nice if we could choose the amount of middle sections, up to a maximum ofcourse, so we can choose multiple length/width combinations. Also we could have both more modern and more classic bows and sterns.

-The ability to build below decks/below the waterline: I hope building below deck will be in upon release, since I feel this is one of the key features to make building a boat enjoyable as it gives way more options to build realistic looking boats. Building below decks is easy/possible with the current state of the game I believe, building below the waterline requires some changes to the way water behaves. Currently water goes through the bottom of the small boat as well.

-Sail performance: It would be nice to have the sailing performance based on the actual ship/sails. For example square rigged ships sail faster with the wind coming from behind while lateen and bermuda rigged ships perform better with crosswinds. This concept could be further improved by taking the ships weight and hull type (for example the modular hulls I talked about) into consideration. 

More block options:

-Currently I miss inverted triangle blocks, both in normal slopes and the flat slopes. Also more sloped options would be nice.

-More options for different block types: the flat slope corners are only available in sandstone and regular stone. It would be nice to have those on other materials as well.

-More colored variants of blocks: maybe have more wood types and all the blocks available. For example the oriental wood has 6 long beams at the moment while regular wood doesn't.

-A paint system: the option to paint for example wood, so we can have more colorful boats and houses. Currently many materials don't blend together well due to the color palettes used.

-More options for glass: Angled/sloped glass panes, uneven and even width glass panes etc.

-Double doors: Currently the doors are not exactly in the middle of a block, and they will swing in opposite directions, therefor making double doors isn't possible right now. Flipping one of the doors upside down is possible with a few of the doors at the moment, but the doorhandle will be slightly lower/higher.

General things that don't work 100% well, mainly visually:

-Textures/block sizes: the current block sizes and their textures make it quite hard to make good looking houses: for example, the bricks are only in 2x2, so you can't make uneven width/length houses. If you instead choose to only use small 1x1 cubes the textures start to look repeating in a weird way.

Things to consider:

-Currently there is a limited amount of islands per map, and therefor a limited amount of space resources, mainly in the form of stone. It would be nice if the world would be "infinite" like for example on Minecraft, where new islands would generate when exploring. If you were to have a server with a large group of players the islands would soon be packed and there would be a fight over resources and free land.

Have more options in the world generator:

-Have the explore scenario editable via the world generator.

-Currently the size difference among the islands is too small. It would be nice to have some really big islands and some really small ones, placed on variable distances. In case of the "infinite" world you could have island groups/formations.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope it helps improve the game even further!

Adrie

Edited by WijkagentAdrie
  • Upvote 2

Dropping items from height and not have them fall through the floor ;)  If drop an item from any height (not placed) in your home, it will fall through the floor to the ground.

I can see this being an issue with ships.  Drop an item on deck and it pass through the ship to the ocean bottom.

• Upvote 2

For me the biggest problem now is water physic. It's quite impossible to work with watter in any way. For example, try to do a little pool of water with terraformer... :S And maybe terraforming of ground with shovel and spade could be improved. It took me some time to learn how to use them in a way that I want. And even now there are some triangles, pyramides, little flowing pieces of dirt and other absolutely weird shapes that I can't succesfuly terraform or flatten them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

NPC's! Also a weather system would be awesome too. I mean like huge storms out in the deeper ocean to replicate what it could be like for ships and to provide a challenge. There could also be natural disasters like tornados or hurricanes. i would also love to sea more sea stuff like maybe a big kracken deep in the ocean that comes and attacks your ship every once in a while.

Edited by CoolPrius
  • Upvote 1

Thank you so much for all your suggestions! You guys are the best :x

I'll make sure the teams knows about them when we decide the content of the next update. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ane said:

Thank you so much for all your suggestions! You guys are the best :x

I'll make sure the teams knows about them when we decide the content of the next update. 

To add to that: active feedback from one of the community managers like you and even the developers really makes it far more satisfying to report bugs and come up with great suggestions! It gives the feeling of being heard and that the time invested by the community is being appreciated. It could be as little as the post you just made, the sneak peeks or responses to the bug/feedback topics :) 

Adrie

• Upvote 3

Hello,

For me priority are :

1.  multiplayer servers
  2.  improved survival difficulty :
  • more life on evil creatures and more aggresivity by them
  • be starving (and thristy ?) more often and impact your sanity when you are (oh and please add vomit if you eat too much like dayz ^^ )
  • add more componements for craft tools and weapons (like bow, hatchet...) and for buildables like furnace because he need only few bascis materials
  • add more islands per map, more biomes, and more evil creatures (like zombies at night on some islands or dragons on a volcanic island or yeti in cold island, why not ?)
  • maybe add island level difficulty (basic islands are the easyier but for find rare items and materiels you will need to go on difficult islands like volcanic island or freezy island)

Oh and its a cool idea to add RPG/exploration style with PNJ's, thematic villages (westerrn, egyptian, indian ect...) donjons and quests ?

Thank you for your consideration.

• Upvote 3

Let me join Ane in thanking everyone for all this feedback! :)

If you ever feel like adding anything more, don't hesitate to put it here, create a new suggestion post or simply send a line or two via the ingame feedback form - your feedback is welcome anytime.

Sometime around the end of this year we plan to tell you what Q1 2017 has in store for you, but even now I can already tell you that among your suggestions (we also got some from our social channels and ingame feedback form) there's actually a lot of features that we've already planned for that time so you probably won't be disappointed. I can also see some newly proposed features, that are not difficult to implement and that we will be definitely adding to the game soon enough as well. In general I think it is safe to say that you will get to see some really interesting and cool features being implemented over the the next 3-4 months (which is now even easier since Ylands team has grown in size somewhat). 

So let me thank you, ylanders, one more time for being with us, staying classy... and, of course, for helping us improve the game! :)

• Upvote 2

What kind of ships will we able to build in the Boats & Buccaneers update?

I mean there will be only a model of boat or there will be Caravel, Frigate, Schooner, Cutter... etc. ?

25 minutes ago, Black Marx said:

What kind of ships will we able to build in the Boats & Buccaneers update?

I mean there will be only a model of boat or there will be Caravel, Frigate, Schooner, Cutter... etc. ?

I would love to have a destroyer too lol

21 minutes ago, TrueThat said:

I would love to have a destroyer too lol

Destroyer? Destroyer begun with the steam age, not the sail age x)

That depends on what you can come up with :D 

Ships.png

• Upvote 2

WTF are those... Is that the dev team who built those boats? ROFL

They can't be serious

Edited by Black Marx

27 minutes ago, Ane said:

That depends on what you can come up with :D 

Ships.png

Now I see why are you looking forward for ours ships. xD

EDIT: Is that a ladder? That means we are going to have functional ladders? :D 

Edited by MichalMynář
  • Downvote 1

We can get a bit weird sometimes, I guess :D I hope you guys will be able to build even more creative ships, otherwise I will be disappointed! :P 

Nice catch, Michal! Yes, that is a ladder, and yes, it will be functional to a certain degree - only if it's placed at a certain height (it's a rather short ladder :D)

• Upvote 1

Im curious to know if any of the ships will have a below deck area because that was what I was looking forward to the most. It would be awesome to be able to have like a captains quarters or a cargo hold down below.

17 minutes ago, CoolPrius said:

Im curious to know if any of the ships will have a below deck area because that was what I was looking forward to the most. It would be awesome to be able to have like a captains quarters or a cargo hold down below.

yeah that would be awesome if you could edit the hull

Right now we will provide you with pre-made ship hulls that are not hollow but you can, for example, create a house-like structure at ship's rear where your captain can get some rest (or, if you plan to live on the boat, you can turn it into a houseboat :)).  

Although we know (because we tried :)) that you will be able to come up a lot of interesting (and funny) creations as it is, please note that we don't, by any means, consider ships a closed chapter. Through this update we actually learned a lot and sometime in near future we will definitely return to ships to further improve them. And yes, among the features we definitely want to look into is having hollow hulls.

• Upvote 2

I would like to see more variation with the banners and sails, more colors and perhaps different patterns on them to choose from ( black sails with a pirate skull on them would be pretty cool :) ).

• Upvote 1