Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #20

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

If everything goes right, you’re about one week from getting your hands on the very large, highly anticipated update 0.6 Countless Colors. A lot of effort went into it and we are really looking forward to getting as much feedback from you as possible. But now I’d like to take this opportunity to address something else. I want to talk about what we have in store for you, who have helped us evolve into what we feel can now be shared with the general public on Steam.

Those of you who have been with us for a longer time have already noticed that for us talking to our community is very important. But just talking wouldn’t be worth much if we weren’t acting based on what you tell us - and because a great number of features and tweaks added to the game were both directly or indirectly based on your feedback I believe we’re doing this right.

We’re not right every single time, though. We’ve made our share of mistakes and, to be honest, I think we’re very likely to do some in the future as well. But I truly believe that as long as we’re owning up to them, make sure not to repeat those we already made and stay honest with the community, those mistakes are simply a part of the creative process and in the end will help us make the game better.

We’ve said several times already that the best is still to come, that we’re basically just starting. Soon we’ll enter Steam Early Access and later next year we'll get to Ylands 1.0, which for us means a solid, polished version, as bug-free as possible, that will be a foundation for many great updates to come.

Getting to this moment wasn’t always easy but together we made it through and we want you to know that we are very grateful for that. We, however, believe you deserve more than simple thanks. We want to give you something to make you understand what your support -  in times where the game was nothing like it is now - meant to us.

You probably know that in this update we’re introducing the Ylands store, a place where you’ll be able to buy things with our in-game currency, the “coyns.” Right now it’s still in a sort of experimental state, with only a specific, small amount of content available - we plan on testing it intensively and to listen to your feedback. I’m mentioning this because the introduction of coyns has also given us yet another option to reward players and so we’ve decided to use this as one way of showing our appreciation of your loyalty. 

Every one of you who has bought Ylands up until this moment will, when we get to Steam, get coyns worth roughly 45 USD. You can spend them now or keep them for later - it's obviously up to you.

armoredvan.png
Speaking of money... we just have to show you this twin-engine security van beauty :)

But we don’t want to show our gratitude with just money - honestly we believe that there are more important things than that and so in the future you will also receive a certain pet that no one else will ever be able to obtain, and that will forever mark you as the ones who helped us getting this game started.

Also, on our forums, you will get a special badge so that even there everyone recognizes you as the one that belongs to a rather small and elite group of Ylands players - a true pioneer ylander.

We sincerely hope you’ll like this and that you’ll stay with us so that together we can keep improving Ylands for many years to come. If you feel like helping us a bit more, you might want to post a review on Steam once we get released there - letting potential players know what to expect will be very important at that point.

Thank you again and as always... you stay classy, ylanders!

• Upvote 7

You are indeed a passionate team.
I hope everything goes well so that we can get our hands on it.

I especially liked having the pet! I thought several times about it, if I could have my dog in the game! I love dogs, indeed!

You have attitude! Thank you!

• Thanks 2

I just would like to clarify a one really important thing: we want to continue developing the game for many years to come and grow the scope of the game significantly as well without having to introduce any paywall. We think the best way to achieve is to include optional in-game purchases of cosmetic items and other extras that have no impact on the gameplay and do not limit the game world in any way. We believe it is much better than for example releasing paid extra DLCs with more content, or future expansion packs etc. I would like to refer again to 

so that you all know what to expect. Thank you for reading.

• Upvote 2

Don't worry about "making mistakes" ...  my father told me   someone who doesn't  make mistakes   is obviously  not  doing anything!

A;though i am not a  com outer type person,  i have worked in areas where large databases were developed, and seen the  time,  effort,  frustration and rewards that go  with  writing programs, and then fixing them!

Ylands is a great game, and is developing. it can be frustrating sometimes when a certain  bug  appears, bt we know that behind the scenes you all are working  on fixing  things,  and also  bringing in  new things.

Looking forward  to the  update (s)

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Guess as "Bohemia Interactive veteran" I already should know that you guys will try to keep this game going on for a long time(in my eyes 1 of the things what makes BI stick out above the other development studios), and looking at what you have done in the past 2 years  it seems to me we still got a big future ahead with Ylands and a lot of things to look fowerd to as "veteran players" but also the new players who will be join the ranks with the steam launch. 

I really like the "compensation" for the veteran players who have been with the Ylands team for a longer time now :)

Even though the ylands team still got a big road ahead all I can say is the Ylands team really did a outstanding job so far and the people who will join the ranks in December with the steam launch will be suprised how far the game has gotten since the E3 presentation :)

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

I'm really glad I can be at the development of this great game. It has been wonderful two years full of fun.

This was the first screenshot of Ylands I saw back in November 2015. Not long after that, I knew that this will be one of my Christmas wishes. It took me just a few days to find, read and watch every single thing published about this game on the internet. I was sure that this was the game I was looking for when discovering sandbox&survival games. I was not wrong. :)

ylands-750x355.jpg.b0def78c04ffbd46371eba32a626620a.jpg 

You are truly great team and I knew it from the beginning. Thank you.

Edited by Miguel Preguisa
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fantastic stuff, appreciate the kind gesture!

I don't actually recall how I came across Ylands but after playing the demo I knew it had potential.

Looking forward to this update, keep up the excellent work dev team!

• Upvote 1