Ane

0.6: Countless Colors (16/11/2017)

CHANGELOG

Countless Colors - 16/11/2017

THE_LINE.png

Please note that this update contains very extensive internal changes to many of the game’s systems - both because of the existing or newly added features and future extendibility. Please help us by reporting any bugs and providing feedback - in the weeks leading to the upcoming public Steam release we’ll be polishing and fixing issues very intensively. Thanks!

Also, with the introduction of coyns we'd like to show our appreciation to you, who have been with us so far, by giving you 9200 coyns to start with (equivalent to over 40 USD). You should see them when you enter the store in the game. In order to claim this you have to link your Steam account with the Bohemia Interactive Account or Facebook (for more information see ylands.com/link-account) - if you haven’t your coyns balance will show 4600.  Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about this process.

THE_LINE.png

HIGHLIGHTS

• Painting. Terrain and flora can’t be painted (flora only gets colored as a whole object before losing the color again - it should be paintable in one of the future updates) but most of the other game objects can be. Every object has defined up to three colorable sections and players can decide which section (all of them by default) they want to paint. Colors can also be “picked” from objects in the world and stored, and any changes can be reverted back to the original state. If you’re close to a paintable object a GUI element will appear to assist you. When painting in the game every color uses some color pigments - you can craft these from various objects in the game with the help of a stone mortar.
  • Special containers. You can now craft things like material containers, herb pouches, key chains, pigment jars and others that can be used to store specific items, thus freeing your inventory space (when picking a suitable item, it gets placed into the appropriate container if available). Key chains can be placed in the hotbar and used just as a normal key with locked objects - the proper key is found and used automatically.
  • Padlocks. One type lockable with a key, the other with a code or password to protect most of the interactive objects in the game. Objects locked with a padlock are more difficult to destroy.
  • Labels. Game scripting just got much more powerful with the introduction of “labels”. You can attach labels to entities and later affect only those. You can use labels to track the progress of your game or certain objects and much more. What can be done is demonstrated by some of the games we are now running on our dedicated servers, and we’ll be covering this in depth in one of the future Dev Diaries.
  • New animations and character controller. Many animations have already been improved, more are coming soon. The character controller allows for a more precise controls. Please note that because of the new system some actions may be temporarily unavailable - most notably jumping in the newly introduced “combat mode”, which will be added shortly in a patch, and also that these changes are 3rd person view only - FPS mode will get improved in one of the future updates as well.
  • New environment audio system. Ambient sounds are now fully 3D and take into account your surroundings so, for example, when it rains you can hear the raindrops hit leaves of a tree near you.
  • Store. New store is accessible via coyn symbol both from the main menu and ingame. It contains first small batch of items, with Decorations to become available (as well as avatars and pets).
  • Radial Menu. First iteration of the radial menu - you can access all emotes available to you via RM and assign seven of them as your favorites. You can conveniently access features like placing mode trigger or horse summoning. We can now design objects in the world to have more possible interactions because all secondary ones are then available via RM. General rule is - all interactions with the objects focused in the world are under the leftmost button, while actions of the item you hold under the rightmost. If instead of a single action the active item has more elaborate settings (like a terraformer or a paintgun) you can conveniently access those directly by keeping the RM open button held a little longer while skipping the root level.
  • Dedicated server testing. We have created some dedicated servers running games for you to play. Give them a try and tell us what you think!
  • Known issues. Some of the newly added features (excluding radial menu - you may need to map its toggle to some button first, though) do not fully support gamepad. That should be fixed before coming to Steam.
  • Tech tree update. We went over existing formulas, ingredient counts and pace how players uncover new ones and made changes to make the experience more enjoyable.
  • Explore mode “respawn”. When character dies in the Explore mode now, they start as a successor, one that gets keys, maps, knowledge, tamed animals and other things from the deceased avatar.

THE_LINE.png

NEW FEATURES

• Attacking is now possible only while holding a weapon or with the bare hands active
  • Map now shows character position and orientation as well as world directions
  • New ingame panel combining News and Changelog
  • New consistent way of loading cannons and catapult
  • New MP Lobby
  • Workstations now follow a new fuel flow (You actually require wood now)
  • Added more nests and feathers on ground (for arrows) on all islands
  • Drop yields from veins increased
  • Islands in Explore mode are bigger now
  • Raft speed increased

THE_LINE.png

NEW ASSETS

• Padlocks
  • New models for workstations (first step to make them whole upgradable in some future update)
  • New emotes

THE_LINE.png

FIXES    

We’ve done some changes to how we worked with issues. Starting with the next update/patch the issues will contain our internal bug tracker IDs so that you can easily find yours or cross-reference them with the ones posted on forums.

• [Editor]: Time Triggers did not work correctly if repeat time was lower than initial time
  • Animals will now run away when getting hit with a firearm from a close range by a player wearing Creator Cube
  • Animals will flee when they spot an arrow landing near them
  • Animals will now flee if the sound they heard sounds dangerous (weapon fire, explosions, drilling, etc.)
  • Animals now take the height of entities into account when planning their path (they only took height of the terrain in account previously)
  • Animals are now afraid of cars with at least one engine on
  • Animals will no longer find invalid paths through fenced areas which they think are valid
  • Fixed an issue where some AI behaviours would stay active even when their parent behaviour ended, resulting in some animals getting stuck in the behaviour for the rest of their lives
  • Fixed character sitting on a latrine
  • Fixed certain workstations not smoking when burning
  • Fixed too many subgroups for mushrooms in Cube
  • Shells do spawn in sea as well now
  • Fixed issues with some panels wrong scaling in some resolutions
  • Disabled some weapons in the game because they were too similar to each other (Superior flintlock pistol, revolver rifle, Snubnosed revolver, sawed-off shotgun, flintlock rifle, X crossbow, x crossbow pistol, Hunting bow)
  • Renamed "Reflex bow" to "Wooden bow" and "Straight bow" to "Iron bow"
  • Fixed charpanel toggle playing generic panel toggle sound instead of specific ones
  • Fixed hotbar slot change and item crafted sound effects not played
  • Center and Close buttons no longer disappear below the map
  • Alchemy Stand now has a scrollbar and it can be scrolled with mouse wheel, too
  • Dyeing Stand now has a scrollbar and it can be scrolled with mouse wheel, too
  • Searching in Cube resets category icon to ALL
  • Game version in main menu now shows also current update name
  • Rudder is animated even after loading a game, where you are controlling a ship
  • Fixed anchor switching
  • Items can be dragged from container to inventory
  • Dragging items from inventory onto another item in container no longer breaks the container
  • Character does not start punching after equipping item via lmb

THE_LINE.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Congrats on this great update Ylands team! 

Already painting a bit in game, switching color and than use that color is not working for me yet, but just the first minutes in the game with the update and my son is in control of my keyboard now ? so I'll test that in a hour or so. 

I really like the new interaction menu! Awesome work on that! Tried to summon the horses and they get teleported to my position :)

Once again, outstanding job! 

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the loads of Coyns! I'm already looking forward to the furniture skins, I'm gonna pack my boat with them! The Ylands dedicated servers seem stable for the few minutes I played, is there an update/fixes for it? If so I'll start it ASAP :) 

Adrie

Whoooopie! ...currently  having my breakfast, but when  finished and  with 2 days of  forecast rainy weather here,  will  be into Ylands  and   not able to be  distracted :D  ...except if  someone  brings me coffee and chocolate  biscuits.....B|

• Haha 2

I haven't seen anything I didn't like so far.
I particularly enjoyed the gameplay, now I can react more effectively to a surprise attack of a wild animal.
I liked the radial menu (you made it perfectly for me too! Thank you!)

Sound is much much better now, where the sound come from is something very important.

You did a great job Thanks!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Here's a few screenshots of my sail yacht Chernogorsk with a fresh new coat of paint :) I've also added a small wooden gate that can block access to the living room and the bedrooms. Also, he/she who came up with the "palette" button is a genius, it makes it so easy to come up with a working palette for large builds and apply it on the go. +rep to you :) 

20171116220845_1.thumb.jpg.06363bb0de2b654b57b0b9cfb3853c84.jpg20171116220921_1.thumb.jpg.3fd3978193dd35e666360c973850b119.jpg20171116221316_1.thumb.jpg.84173a987c90ec3c63cb1186bd3dcd59.jpg20171116221336_1.thumb.jpg.cb6591e59c5be416b2f05f697821a36d.jpg20171116221509_1.thumb.jpg.d110726982ab8ed868efd51260b023a6.jpg20171116221809_1.thumb.jpg.f71ce7283eb9389d3014369c21a94c9b.jpg

Edited by WijkagentAdrie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

it appears  some  workstations are no longer being used    ie  stonemasons...      will we get a list of  redundant work stations we can  remove? 

Now  a chemistry station required for  making  gunpowder?   cannot find   any reference to crafting it  just yet... any hints ?:P

New update has changed the   game  entirely... i now have  lots of redundant  workstations ...cannot find  new ones ,..and  have  difficulty  interacting with  others...      ie    cannot  feed them or  light them.

Is there anywhere where we can  get information about   the  new   crafting procedures? I know there's a new  station feeding  interaction   thing ,  but  where,  how  and ???   currently i cannot light  any  forge/foundry/etc  .. do i have to  destroy the old  redundant stations first?

Are the old saved games  not able to be  ?modernized"  with the new   stuff?

Do we now have to  dump a weeks  work and  exploration ..and start a new  game?

I tried  google  search  and  the  ylands wiki ...  but turn up  nothing helpful..

Edited by kimbuck

12 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

New update has change the   game  entirely... i now have  lots of redundant  workstations ...cannot fine  new ones ,..and   difficulty  interacting with  others...      ie    cannot  feed them or  light them.

Is there anywhere where we can  get information about   the  new   crafting procedures? I know there's a new  station feeding  interaction   thing ,  but  where,  how  and ???   currently i cannot light  any  forge/foundry/etc  .. do i have to  destroy the old  redundant stations first?

Are the old saved games  not able to be  ?modernized"  with the new   stuff?

Do we now have to  dump a weeks  work and  exploration ..and start a new  game?

I tried  google  search  and  the  ylands wiki ...  but turn up  nothing helpful..

They don't work anymore, you can destroy. What you did there you do now in the charcoal.
I know what's needed for one of them. I'll leave it there if it helps.

Ylands 2017-11-17 19-13-01-75.png

Edited by BigBoss87
  • Thanks 1

Thanks...

Tried to light the  charcoal kiln   ...  the  lighter wouldn't   show  any interaction.  tried to feed it ...  zero ..  

Guess i  have to play around   trial  and  error  style  until i  either find out  how .. or  simply  abandon a great game and  start again form  zero ..   which i am reluctant  to do.

We  need more  instructions....:ph34r:

2 hours ago, kimbuck said:

Thanks...

Tried to light the  charcoal kiln   ...  the  lighter wouldn't   show  any interaction.  tried to feed it ...  zero ..  

Guess i  have to play around   trial  and  error  style  until i  either find out  how .. or  simply  abandon a great game and  start again form  zero ..   which i am reluctant  to do.

We  need more  instructions....:ph34r:

You need to fuel workstations with wood first in order to light it now. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Khanecz said:

And we are not punching workstations anymore too:)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigBoss87 said:

And we are not punching workstations anymore too:)

Yes!  what a relief...my   knuckles were getting sorexD

2 hours ago, Khanecz said:

Yes ...i   knew that  .. everything  started to work  properly  after a log out and  re log ...maybe there was something   queued  to update.

Now ...wondering how  to  craft a belt  drive ...tried  leather rope  ..   will  work it out  soon.

But  pleased in my  exploration today i found  one  yland with abundant  saltpeter ..and the next  had a mountain peak of  sulphur! ...  bought  back 800 units ... ( and an shark^_^)  and  now   have enough ingredients to  destroy the  world ... now    wheres that  chemistry station??   (evil  snicker):P

With the  avatar movement   changes...its rather difficult to "aim"  with  the tool you are  using.... if you are not careful with your  axe or hammer, the nearby  walls or  objects  might get accidentally destroyed instead of what you are aiming at.

Also encountered a  small   temporary  glitch when putting things in a  cabinet... if you are not accurate and place the  item  near the border of the compartment, it can glitch ..and  affects  all other items   you try to move in that cabinet. I found  that  by taking everything  out, dropping   them,  then re logging  from main menu fixed it ..  i could then pick the items  up and return them correctly  to the cabinet.

Overall, the  changes on this update are positive    it might be my  imagination but the colors of  objects  seem to be  brighter.

every tome i log in i  find  more  craft-able  items in my inventory...xD

Thanks a lot for all the feedback! On Monday we'll post some more explanations and answer all your questions left unanswered so far. Please keep the feedback coming (for those who haven't found out yet  - Adrie has already started a special thread for that here (thanks!), but reporting anywhere on forum will get the job done as well :) ) - we now have a less than three weeks to polish the game enough to enter the Early Access in as good shape as possible :)

• Upvote 2

Hey guys,

I have a bug were when i lower my screen percentage ( because I have a potato pc) the screens zooms-in and i cant see anything. Now I have to play the game on 100% screen-percentage with a low framerate, can you maybe take a look at that? 

Btw I really like the new update, keep on the great work.

Edited by TerrAttack

Looking forward to Monday :D - The  reasons  why i post here is  i am  reporting "anomalies"  that  might need  "fine  tuning":P. This is a really  enjoyable  game,  and with all changes and upgrades, there's always  something  that  needs a tweak or  two   to  make it work smoothly. What is pleasing  is to   know and see that when something is reported, its  noted for action and a  response  appears.  There are other games  i  used to play, but  not any more  because  just basic things were ignored by those developers and the game became unplayable.

I am actually  starting to like  those sharks ... their  menacing  smile leads me to   think of  ways of  painting  mustaches on themB|  

Let me thank you again for all the feedback (it's more important now than ever before) and give you an update on the current situation  

* we are currently putting all the reported issues into our system (since it's all done in a single thread we won't be changing its name to show the issue number but if you ever needed to know under which number is a certain thing filed ask Ane and she will tell you)

* later today we'll be making a post describing all the changes made to the tech-tree and what it means for you (we'll provide the link in here)

* for Dedicated Server Beta to work properly with this Steam version some things need to be addressed first and it's quite likely that the updated version will be available shortly after the game released on Steam and not before that since now we're focusing mostly on bug fixing

* absolute priority fixes for us currently are:
 - Dedicated servers crashing with players unable to log in
 - Adding ways for players to easily return to servers where they played via MP Lobby
 - MP games getting unplayable as soon as ships come to play

We plan to release a large patch on 29.11. (releasing one sooner would mean a lot of additional time spent on closing it down and putting it to test at the cost of bug fixing)  which should contain these fixes (obviously along with dozens of others - it's time the jumping sharks finally started to behave :) ) - that will basically be a Steam release candidate for us.  Please note that in the upcoming days we will be working extremely hard so the communication from other people than Ane may be rather sparse and you may get some answers with some small delay. If you encounter any additional bugs we will very grateful if you report them to us. 

• Upvote 3

Actually, there's one more issue that needs to be addressed asap - we just became aware that formulas for the newly introduced padlocks may not show in the crafting panel. There will be a small hotfix coming out for this shortly.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Actually, there's one more issue that needs to be addressed asap - we just became aware that formulas for the newly introduced padlocks may not show in the crafting panel. There will be a small hotfix coming out for this shortly.

I was able to do the Vice, it's just Drive Belt to build the Locksmith to do the paintgun.
Drive Belt doesn't appear anywhere to me ... Maybe I'm missing something.

This (any other questions) will be answered in the post I mentioned - it should become available in an hour or two :) I will let you know in here as soon as it's been posted.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigBoss87 said:

I was able to do the Vice, it's just Drive Belt to build the Locksmith to do the paintgun.
Drive Belt doesn't appear anywhere to me ... Maybe I'm missing something.

We have posted a sumary post about crafting changes, you can check it out here :)

Update: 23/11/2017

Version: 0.6.41081

• Switched to a more recent Unity Engine version (fixes several types of ingame crashes)

On 11/21/2017 at 1:57 AM, Aleš Ulm said:

^^ THIS was driving me mad! I thought I must be missing some crucial ingredient or material xD The recipes show after the patch, thanks, now I can update the Wiki