Sign in to follow this  
Rudy.cz

Crafting overhaul explained

Hi guys.

As you have probably noticed, in recent update (0.6 - Countless colors) we made some changes to crafting recipes and workstations. Lot of you are confused why certain workstations are not working any more, why some recipes are no longer available and why some workstations require new items. I am going to explain all the changes and the motivation behind this overhaul without going too specific, so I will not rob you of chance figure it out yourself :) 

As you all know, Ylands is about crafting items. Most of the items unlock recipes for new items, which unlock more new items, thus advancing the player trough the game to ultimate prosperity and happiness :) -  lets call this concept "tech tree". After extensive analysis of current tech tree, we came to few conclusions.

Removed workstations

First, we found out there are workstations which are either too over specialized, have only handful of recipes or could be merged together. So if possible, we removed those and reintegrate their recipes in already existing workstations. This is the case of Glass forming stand, which was removed and all its recipes moved to Charcoal kiln, which is now named just Kiln. By this we made Kiln an important workstation crucial for your development trough all the game.

Also by looking at Woodworking bench and Stonemason stand, we found out that there are wooden/stone building block crafted on these stations and few not requiring them at all. We decided to unify this disparity by simply removing those workstations from game. This will also speed up the production of building blocks, because now you will not have to wait 60s for them to finish at the station. On other hand, we took pottery and clay blocks and assigned them to require Kiln, because we found it more realistic and logical.

New workstations and items

Second, we found out that there is a inequality in a way how new recipes get unlocked - at certain point most of advanced recipes become unlocked at once, rendering lot of items useless. This was caused by fact, that Foundry was unlocked at the same time as Blacksmith station, thus making medieval weapons, flintlock firearms and advanced firearms available at same time. In this situation the only barrier to obtain these weapons was resource cost (iron) and availability of saltpeter and sulfur (for gun powder).

To address this problem, we have introduced new basic resource and several new items required to craft advanced workstations. By this we ensured that new workstations (and tiers) are getting unlocked one after another. These special items (we call them components) usually need some extra materials obtainable trough additional exploration. Prime example of this are newly introduced rubber items (drive belt and tires). Rubber can be harvested only from rubber trees, which are present on tropical islands, so if you find yourself in temperate area, some seafaring is required.

Also we have dropped steel ingots and have replaced them with various steel parts, whose can be assembled in to more advanced items on corresponding workstation, but that is something for you to figure out :)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

So that was it, rubber trees. Where I was playing didn't have these trees, hence it is impossible to make the Drivel Belt.

Thank you :)

Great that Kiln is now useful! xD On the other hand, I have to say bye-bye to my starter clay houses. It looks like now it's better to start with wood. Which is actually more realistic so I can't complain. :D

• Haha 1

I am already  on a  tropical  Yland...will the  rubber trees   "start to grow there" ...  or  on undiscovered  ylands?

Will they  appear on existing Ylands?   

kimbuck, you use your knife in trees like this. If you don't have these trees you have to explore other islands.

Ylands 2017-11-20 23-59-50-32.png

Edited by BigBoss87
  • Thanks 1

thanks .;). then they   just  wont appear on my  yland ..i have already  explored  2 other yands with tropical  biome   and  also  several other   ylands ...will the trees start to appear there?  or do i have to abandon this game and   start all over af again..  ?  ( I hope not!)

2 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

thanks .;). then they   just  wont appear on my  yland ..i have already  explored  2 other yands with tropical  biome   and  also  several other   ylands ...will the trees start to appear there?  or do i have to abandon this game and   start all over af again..  ?  ( I hope not!)

I'm really enjoying starting a new game after the update.
At first it gives that feeling of putting a lot of effort behind, but when you see your creations come to life, and with the experience you have now, it will be much easier.
Islands are bigger, have better places to build, and have plenty of life :) 

• Thanks 1

Thats a positive point!  :P Guess i will spend the time  up to the update   looking around and  experimenting  with  building etc

Starting  again on Dec 7 with  more  knowledge  and as you say,  more to look forward to

What i must do  now is post a few screenshots of the  current  game buildings  etc  as a momento.

• Upvote 1

my game updated today and the kiln is still called  Charcoal kiln not just kiln as you explained it to be and it does not work that even a new game start   have been loving this game for a while know keep up the great work 

There is one important information you mentioned - the new rubber trees are generated only on newly created ylands (= inside a newly created game). We understand that some of you may have put already a lot of effort into their current game worlds so if it is the case we could in the upcoming patch let you get some rubber tree seeds via specific console command. Would you find this helpful?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Aww   ty  for the  thought... but   as there's  other benefits  ie   bigger  ylands  area etc ,  i   am prepared to  take  the plunge   again from the  start on a new game...  that way i can   avoid the mistakes  i  made  this one   and    also  avoid the tombstones that  i keep tripping over, reminding  me of  my past  blunders :$

I am all for the  adventure  ...   and  i  will make a  better   sharkproof   ship!    Tomorrow ( oops .. dec  6 )  i conquer   Ylands ! ... next year ...  the  world!:D

Meanwhile i can  spend the next  week or  so   looking for  things to  help ,   working out  what all those  energy  things do   and those   strange  structures  ...  and    reading  up  on  my   Dictatorship  manuals !;) 

• Haha 2

Been working on the new workstations, must say it requires a lot more work/resources/practice, the first part of starting up on a new Ylands is just the same but once you got your foundry it feels like the game is new again. 

And the rubber: that is just great really like how the animation is and actually how I wanted it to look like, great work on how the trees look after extraction of the rubber. 

• Upvote 1