Migelthesloth

RESOLVED Crash on launch / Game doesn't start (Steam=

Question

Just bought and downloaded the game on release, launching it instantly gives me an error message explaining there has been a crash and a crash report has been saved. I tried the usual steps, restarting PC, running as admin, verifying game files.

I am hesitant to refresh my Graphics card drivers (Just did that a few days ago, download takes too long due to slow internet and I don't have time for it right now).

I was told to disable Rivaturner, EVGA PrecisionX or MSI Afterburner. I don't know what these are, and my task manager is showing no such thing.

Attached, the output_log file from Ylands_Data (as requested by a dev on Steam forums),  WinRAR compressed crash folder.

Note: I was also asked to include an "output_log_clean", but there is no such thing in my game files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

31 replies to this bug / suggestion

From we can see, it crashes on creating gfx device, so at this point we can only suggest trying to update drivers :/

30 minutes ago, Migelthesloth said:

Just bought and downloaded the game on release, launching it instantly gives me an error message explaining there has been a crash and a crash report has been saved. I tried the usual steps, restarting PC, running as admin, verifying game files.

I am hesitant to refresh my Graphics card drivers (Just did that a few days ago, download takes too long due to slow internet and I don't have time for it right now).

I was told to disable Rivaturner, EVGA PrecisionX or MSI Afterburner. I don't know what these are, and my task manager is showing no such thing.

Attached, the output_log file from Ylands_Data (as requested by a dev on Steam forums),  WinRAR compressed crash folder.

Note: I was also asked to include an "output_log_clean", but there is no such thing in my game files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

output_log.txt

2017-12-06_193826.rar

Could you please run a DXDiag and post the results?

Do you know your PC system specs?

In Windows, select Start  and enter dxdiag into the search box on the taskbar. Select dxdiag from the results.
In the tool, select Save All Information for an easily shared format.

Edited by John - NEXFER
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Ane said:

From we can see, it crashes on creating gfx device, so at this point we can only suggest trying to update drivers :/

Not great news but very helpful. Sounds like it might work, so I'll run the driver update overnight. Thanks a lot.

John, my PC Specs are the following:

GTX 760 1.5GB

Intel Core i7 4770

With 12GB DDR3.

1TB HDD, Running Win 8.0, plenty of free space remaining.

Attached: DXDiag as .txt

DxDiag.txt

Thanks again, I'll post on updates tomorrow.

P.S.: Should I expect a Day-One patch tonight?

33 minutes ago, Migelthesloth said:

Not great news but very helpful. Sounds like it might work, so I'll run the driver update overnight. Thanks a lot.

John, my PC Specs are the following:

GTX 760 1.5GB

Intel Core i7 4770

With 12GB DDR3.

1TB HDD, Running Win 8.0, plenty of free space remaining.

Attached: DXDiag as .txt

DxDiag.txt

Thanks again, I'll post on updates tomorrow.

P.S.: Should I expect a Day-One patch tonight?

Your PC spec seems like there should be no issue, I would have to concur with the driver updates, failing that, any supporting software or technology that your card or operating system (windows 8) might require (windows updates or game ready technology).

I hate to sound like a sales-person as well! But you can get your hands on a free upgrade to windows 10, if you were interested in doing such a thing (expires at the end of this month) - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

It seems likely that windows 10 may resolve any issues that windows 8 might face.

Edited by John - NEXFER

Hi again,

so I ran the download overnight and installed the new GPU driver today, then restarted my system.

I am still getting the same error, the game still isn't playable.

I'm out of ideas at this point. Need help...

So... Can't figure out what's going on. It's been nearly a day now, and I've tried just about anything. Here's what I tried:

-Verifying Game Files using Steam

-Restarting Steam and Restarting PC

-Launching .exe as admin and launching Steam as admin

-Shutting down Firewall

-Getting newest Graphics card drivers

-Fully uninstalling and doing a fresh re-download of Ylands

-Closing all antivirus and and antimalware applications before launching.

-Setting .exe as always launch as admin, then starting trough Steam (Guy on the Steam forums said it fixed it)

Edit:

-Changed launch options per Steam, concerning Startup Settings and Direct X versions.

-> None of these steps solved or changed the problem in any way. My hardware above, I went over it a few times and I'm convinced it meets the minimum reqs for playing.

Currently also have a Steam thread running, dev response told me to ask here.

Edited by Migelthesloth

To be honest with you, we haven't seen such a crash in the game before, we're investigating it.

30 minutes ago, Migelthesloth said:

So... Can't figure out what's going on. It's been nearly a day now, and I've tried just about anything. Here's what I tried:

-Verifying Game Files using Steam

-Restarting Steam and Restarting PC

-Launching .exe as admin and launching Steam as admin

-Shutting down Firewall

-Getting newest Graphics card drivers

-Fully uninstalling and doing a fresh re-download of Ylands

-Closing all antivirus and and antimalware applications before launching.

-Setting .exe as always launch as admin, then starting trough Steam (Guy on the Steam forums said it fixed it)

Edit:

-Changed launch options per Steam, concerning Startup Settings and Direct X versions.

-> None of these steps solved or changed the problem in any way. My hardware above, I went over it a few times and I'm convinced it meets the minimum reqs for playing.

Currently also have a Steam thread running, dev response told me to ask here.

3rd party solution maybe? - Driver Booster, get a free pro key from one of the hundreds of YouTube giveaway's (just search for driver booster 5 key).

It should resolve any system / driver / game component issues that you might face.

Moreover, when you say it's giving an error -

Is there any 'more information' button presented?

Is it Windows, or Steam or Ylands that is providing this error (Windows will usually handle a crashed program, but Steam and Ylands are also capable of providing errors on startup!)?

If it's Windows, there should be a more info button, and it should provide some form of error code, that could help us narrow down the cause.

Edited by John - NEXFER

Thank you. It seems to me from your dxdiag like your drivers are somehow bonked. Could you please download and install these: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/388.43/388.43-desktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe

In the installer select custom installation and check the box saying something along the lines of "perform a clean installation."

11 minutes ago, John - NEXFER said:

t issues that you might face.

Moreover, when you say it's giving an error -

Is there any 'more information' button presented?

Is it Windows, or Steam or Ylands that is providing this error (Windows will usually handle a crashed program, but Steam and Ylands are also capable of providing errors on startup!)

If it's Windows, there should be a more info button, and it should provide some form of error code, that could help us narrow down the cause.

I can't really tell, though I think Windows is doing it - using the Ylands logo in the taskbar. As you see, all I can do it "Ok" or "X" out.

Messing around with Compatibility Option earlier prompted Windows to ask wether the program was run correctly, upon saying "no" it just offered other compatibility settings - Tried all of those, no change.

Attached: screenshot of error message.

eb0852fdf4525a3d6aa926d734e11f83.png

11 minutes ago, Berzeger said:

Thank you. It seems to me from your dxdiag like your drivers are somehow bonked. Could you please download and install these: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/388.43/388.43-desktop-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql.exe

In the installer select custom installation and check the box saying something along the lines of "perform a clean installation."

Thank you, sounds good. I'll start downloading now, might take the entire afternoon due to slow internet. Happy to do it if there's a chance it helps.

Also, I noticed something special about  the Ylands installation that's different from the usual Steam installation process:
After downloading, upon first launching the application, normally I would get a Steam window popup, saying its installing VCRedist and I believe DirectX too, before launching the game itself. This hasn't happened on any of the installs I tried to run for Ylands. Is this normal behaviour?

Yes, that's perfectly normal - Ylands does not need VC Redist (thus does not install it) and DirectX is usually already installed in Windows, so we don't install that either.

I hope these drivers will help, please let us know when you know something! If it still doesn't run, post us another dxdiag along with another rar file that you sent in your first post and we'll try to figure it out.

Hey again,

downloaded the Driver package from provided link, then did a manual istall, first having the installer uninstall everything and do a clean install.

Then restarted PC and downloaded today's 10MB patch for Ylands. Ran as admin and normally, in both cases, same error message as before.

DxDiag after driver wipe and reinstall:

DxDiag.txt

New Crash folder, generated after driver updates:

Bummer.

Also have a question: I just saw there's an option to create a support ticket. Should I do that? I already have this forum thread running on it, so would it be any good?

So from what you recommended... This apparently is a driver problem. Now, we've established that these new drivers don't really seem to fix this particular problem. There's a new one out today, I'll try that later... but not  getting my hopes up.

What about the other direction though? Could a driver rollback get me there?

Day 3... really getting hyped again, watched some YouTube videos now, looks fun.

Hey Migelthesloth,

I have the same problem with crashing on game launch, it just does not respond and exits everytime. A temporary fix that I found was creating a brand new user account on my Windows 10 and launching Ylands from there. I do not know why this is the case. I have looked at my main user account and new user account files, and I cannot find out what the problem is.

Anyways, hopefully this works as a temporary fix for you as well. I still want to find out what the problem is so I don't have to keep switching user accounts every time I want to switch from any game to Ylands and vice versa.

If this new user account fixes the problem for anyone, and they find out the specific problem, please update me so I don't have to keep switching user accounts.

Best regards.

Edit: Sorry if this fix does not work for anyone, and maybe it is a unique problem for me. At least it was something different to try though. :) 

Edited by yood

yood...   are you using the trial version...which  has been discontinued... or  the  paid  for steam version?

Its possible  you might be   using the  wrong  shortcut linked to an older version instead of the latest one.

I had  similar issues... so looked through my program files,   found the older trial version was still there and  deleted it..    I now  only  access the game through  steam to ensure i  am using the latest   updated  version

Hi Kimbuck,

I'm using the steam version. I bought Ylands for the first time 2 days ago, and only access it through steam.

Thank you for the possible solution though! :)

Hey Yood,

First of all, thanks for suggesting a solution. I might try that later today. That's a really, really weird solution though. Maybe some problem with different authorization states? I mean I'm sure you have admin rights but... huh. Did you get the error message though?

kimbuck,

can I still get a trial version somewhere? I'd like to try it out in one way or another. Also wonder if a crack might work. Is it still illegal to crack a game if I paid the creators for it? I mean, that's a base question I have, would other  versions of the game work.

Hey again,

I had been laying low, waiting for a patch to fix it or for a response on my support ticket. I got one today. I doubt they read it. I was told to report the problem here  and attach both output_log and dxdiag, both of which I detailed having already done in the sent report.

So instead of making a new topic here I'm just gonna keep going here.

The issue stays the same. Have not found a fix yet. Have tried everything listed before. Have not tried creating another account on my OS, as I do not see why that would ever work.

Here again, the requested files.

2017-12-12_161456.rar

DxDiag.txt

I'll also mention again (Just as in the support request I sent) that the "output_log_clean" file I was asked repeadetly to include does not exist in the specified location.

Still hoping for a possible solution, thanks in advance,

Migel