Frank16Gr

RESOLVED Stuck controls after using boat/raft, can't eat/use items, can't open wicker basket.

Question

Hello guys, sorry i couldn't expain the issue better in the title, here is a decription of what happend:

Everything started after i was in my ship with my horse and i got stuck (probably because of land underneath me, or because of the horse hitting the ship as this guy said here). I left the wheel and tried to see what's happening, some sharks were attacking the boat (with the jittery animation) i tried to use the wheel again to unstuck the ship but i noticed that as the ship was moving the horse was "floating" above the deck and moving to the opposite direction of the ship, like it wasn't attached to the ground anymore (before that happend i was traveling with the horse standing on the ship without this issue), when i moved my ship enough the horse was floating in the air above the water, i went back to "pick it up", i mounted it and moved a bit but i couldn't use the ship anymore because the horse would always be "floating" and moving outside of it.

I tried to mount it again and i fell into the water with the horse, then i insta died from the sharks (5-6 of them). I made a raft and went there to rescue my items but when i clicked release control the raft controls were stuck on the left of the screen and i couldn't see my hotbar. Shark killed me, built a new raft, grinded for new armor and items but the same happend again, as soon as i reached the area and released the raft controls. Built a new raft and this time i went to main menu and back to the game, now i could use my inventory items i tried to kill the shark and then i jumped to find my items, new shark appears, instadead. New raft, new gear, back to the same area, main menu and back to the game and this time i used the ladder to go up to the ship i used the wheel and the controls bug happend again i couldnt release the ship. Back to main menu, back to the game and i tried to sleep, i was hungry i tried to eat but only the eat animation happend, i opened the inventory and i had less berries in there than the hotbar. I tried to open a whicker basket but only the sound of it was happening, i couldn't open it, i couldn't eat, i couldn't sleep, i couldn't use the wheel. Closing the game completely and coming back everything is the same and if i use the wheel the controls keep getting stuck and need the main menu and back to be able to release them but everything else is now always stuck (eating, using the baskets etc) and i can't do anything. Is there any hope to fix the save file or its doomed and i have to start over? 

Here is a 4 minute video i recorded to show you what is happening: https://youtu.be/YpKFpQIefVg

Down below are the output files, dxdiag and screenshot with the horse issue that i think caused this bug. In the first screenshot the horse is "left behind" floating in the air as you can see in the second screenshot that i "picked it up" by moving the boat to where it was. The next screenshot shows the stuck controls on the raft and the last one the food issue with the unmatching numbers between the hotbar and the inventory. The output files are from the last time i closed the game to try everything again and record the video, if you want the previous output files from the previous time i closed the game i have kept those as well.

20171206194911_1.jpg

20171206195039_1.jpg

20171206195808_1.jpg

20171206203623_1.jpg

20171206220837_1.jpg

6 replies to this bug / suggestion

By going back to main menu and back to the game i managed to take the ship (when i took the ship and tried to move it, the water near me disappeared, screenshot below) and go back to my yland, as soon as i left that area of the ocean everything worked fine. I went back to that area (the water was fine now) to retrieve my items from all the deaths and i noticed that i couldn't interact with my horse anymore and that when i tried to move the rafts i left there the same bug with the controls happend. Same is happening with the ship everytime i am in that area but after i leave that "chunk"/ocean area, everything works fine again.

20171206220837_1.thumb.jpg.80cb07222518b71fdadba0262690df7d.jpg

14 minutes ago, Frank16Gr said:

By going back to main menu and back to the game i managed to take the ship (when i took the ship and tried to move it, the water near me disappeared, screenshot below) and go back to my yland, as soon as i left that area of the ocean everything worked fine. I went back to that area (the water was fine now) to retrieve my items from all the deaths and i noticed that i couldn't interact with my horse anymore and that when i tried to move the rafts i left there the same bug with the controls happend. Same is happening with the ship everytime i am in that area but after i leave that "chunk"/ocean area, everything works fine again.

20171206220837_1.thumb.jpg.80cb07222518b71fdadba0262690df7d.jpg

Something has gone wrong between your horse, it's allocated island (one horse per island, can't summon a horse from one island, on another island), and / or the water, horse not being able to swim, having programming that likely makes it avoid water etc.

Some possible workarounds could include killing your beloved horse (rip) or maybe the raft, though more likely the horse :( (or somehow returning your horse to its island alive :S)

Edited by John - NEXFER

You might be right, i indeed found it on an other island and wanted to bring it back to my island that had no horses, i didn't know how to bring it with me so i tried to summon it when i was on the ship a couple times, it came as close as it could and then i just mounted it and jumped. The strange thing is that i thought everything worked fine, it was just standing there with the "eating grass" animation as i was salining back to my place for what i thought a long time and then everything broke as soon as i could see my island in the distance. 

I can't figure out how to edit and save the first post so i'll add this here so the devs can see it in case they are looking into it: 

The broken controls bug from this area is fixed now, as John - NEXFER said all i had to do was to kill the horse. I've done other things in the meantime (over 45 hours in game so far) hoping for the horse to get unstuck magically but it didn't, so i did what i had to do. Something strange: when that bug happened i could see the horse name and the friendly tag instead for tamed, now that i came back for it nothing was showing and i couldn't move the horse by bumping into it or mount it or something. As soon as it got killed the controls bug fixed instantly. 

In the mean time i noticed that when i "press E to open" the seed basket, the wooden box, to unpack the sleeping pad or anything that needs "Press [E] to... " it's stuck to the "emotes/ do nothing/ summon horse menu" instead for the menu option that i could interact with the items. I hoped killing the horse would fix that too but it didn't, if there is any idea how to fix this too i would appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Frank16Gr said:

In the mean time i noticed that when i "press E to open" the seed basket, the wooden box, to unpack the sleeping pad or anything that needs "Press [E] to... " it's stuck to the "emotes/ do nothing/ summon horse menu" instead for the menu option that i could interact with the items. I hoped killing the horse would fix that too but it didn't, if there is any idea how to fix this too i would appreciate it.

Are you playing in 1st person view? If so, that's a known bug. Playing in 3rd person view should show the proper hints.

37 minutes ago, Ane said:

Are you playing in 1st person view? If so, that's a known bug. Playing in 3rd person view should show the proper hints.

Oh yes, thank you! It worked in 3rd person, i was afraid it was a side effect of the horse bug and that i could never use those items again.

• Upvote 1