Sign in to follow this  
TENTACLE_BOSS

Trying to emulate the Ylands art style + When is model importation coming out?

326DIKH.png

So this is a toy gun asset I've been working on. It's fairly low poly, with a moving trigger, magazine and pump. I made it to try and match the Ylands art style as much as possible, and I would like your feedback on how well I have achieved that as I  I would like to eventually import this into the editor for use in a custom game mode that I want to develop. However at the moment I notice that it is not possible to import your own custom model assets. Instead every game mode that can currently exist is reliant on a small list of preset assets which is extremely limiting, especially for anybody who wants to make something unique.

I would like to know when this will change, as one of the things I am most excited for with this game is the possibility to truly make custom content to share with others, but right now for aforementioned reasons, I can't help but feel like everyone  will in essence be sharing the exact same things over and over again as far as items and aesthetics go. If a release date on model importation cannot be given, I would really like a rough ETA because I don't want to spend a ton of time developing a custom game mode only to have to wait years for something as basic as model importation.

Thanks for reading.

I wouldn't want to speak for the devs here but i'd be surprised if actual custom models would be allowed into the editor.. I can imagine the computational requirements for thousands of unique models being quite high... Maybe in the future if and when modding support is added, we'll see that type of thing?

13 minutes ago, Paul Husiw said:

I wouldn't want to speak for the devs here but i'd be surprised if actual custom models would be allowed into the editor.. I can imagine the computational requirements for thousands of unique models being quite high... Maybe in the future if and when modding support is added, we'll see that type of thing?

They could be downloaded on a case by case basis a bit like workshop. When people join a session with custom content they'd simply download the custom content in that session.

6 minutes ago, Paul Husiw said:

Yeah that's a good point... It would be great if custom models are allowed in the future!

Id go as far as calling it necessary. Imagine what creative games like Minecraft and Gmod would be like if everyone was forced to rely on base assets and nothing else, with the exception of a few g rated basic micro-transactions. The experience would be harshly limited.

If there is 1 thing Bohemia Interactive is known for it is the modding community! From early operation flashpoint to ARMA3 (and even DayZ will be getting modding tools next year). Ylands will also be using mods in the near future, in 2018 @Aleš Ulm will be telling more about it in his dev-diary's, this was already told a while ago ;)

Yeah agreed, although isn't this only possible in minecraft because of mods? Not sure if the base game supports importing models natively?

Just now, A3_Melle said:

If there is 1 thing Bohemia Interactive is known for it is the modding community! From early operation flashpoint to ARMA3 (and even DayZ will be getting modding tools next year). Ylands will also be using mods in the near future, in 2018 @Aleš Ulm will be telling more about it in his dev-diary's, this was already told a while ago ;)

Awesome! This is going to make Ylands the definitive survival/explorer game in my opinion! *Waits patiently for a space exploration mod*

1 hour ago, A3_Melle said:

That's very reassuring. I was getting worried, so thank you.

• Like 1

ylandgun2.PNG.a1fde6bba31ee0c96cfdd914e1ee5c1b.PNG

Working on the next stages. I want to create a variety of these guns, using different attachable components on a singular pistol base to achieve different effects. The end goal is to (when possible) use them in a game-mode where players can basically combine the parts they want, and then use their combined toy gun of choice in a casual arena setting.