Krynoc

UNDER REVIEW [YLD-7955] Avatar in save lost after linking Steam account to BI account

Question

Hello all,

Yesterday I linked my steam account to my Bohemia account so that I may have access to the mod shop. After doing so all of my save games are now requesting that I create a new character when I load them. I'm assuming that my account now has a different UID than when it was a steam only account. At the very least devs should be aware of that one.

Is there any way that I can alter the saves to contain the correct reference for my avatar to the new linked account? Any help there would be magical as I had quite a few items beyond my means on my character that are lost to limbo.

Thank you.

[UPDATE]
While the issue is still a bug/issue that should be considered and resolved I was able to recover my saved games. See second post.

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

5 replies to this bug / suggestion

After some further testing it turns out my UID did indeed change after linking my account. I was able, through some blind testing, to find the UID references in my old save and replace them with the UID from a newly created save to get my new UID. There were 3 or 4 instances of the UID to change. After replacing the UID my save was able to load correctly and I have all my stuff.

For others hoping to fix a save the same way,  you'll need your old save and new save. You will also need some kind of editor with find & replace, I use Notepad++

1. Open the new one, search for the name of your character.
  2. Before your character name there will be an alphanumeric UID in the following format ########-####-####-####-############
  3. Copy that UID and open the old save you wish to recover.
  4. Search for your character name and retrieve the old UID using the same method as the new one.
  5. Using find and replace search for the old one and replace with the new one.

Worked for me but I make no guarantees for anyone else, and I am unsure if this will cause further issues in future. Try at own risk and MAKE A BACKUP!

• Upvote 1

As a further update to this issue, I have noticed that everything in the store was also tied to my old UID and I must repurchase/claim my unlocks. Luckily I did not purchase anything beyond the free items, but this could raise the severity of the issue a little bit as people spending money are likely to be very unhappy when items are lost.

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:33 AM, Krynoc said:

After some further testing it turns out my UID did indeed change after linking my account. I was able, through some blind testing, to find the UID references in my old save and replace them with the UID from a newly created save to get my new UID. There were 3 or 4 instances of the UID to change. After replacing the UID my save was able to load correctly and I have all my stuff.

For others hoping to fix a save the same way,  you'll need your old save and new save. You will also need some kind of editor with find & replace, I use Notepad++

1. Open the new one, search for the name of your character.
  2. Before your character name there will be an alphanumeric UID in the following format ########-####-####-####-############
  3. Copy that UID and open the old save you wish to recover.
  4. Search for your character name and retrieve the old UID using the same method as the new one.
  5. Using find and replace search for the old one and replace with the new one.

Worked for me but I make no guarantees for anyone else, and I am unsure if this will cause further issues in future. Try at own risk and MAKE A BACKUP!

While this didn't work for me...I was able to find my original alive and well (only after the save file editing)...standing where I left him/me so I just took a nearby hammer and killed myself/him for my/his items.

It may be of note I used the files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\(most recently edited folder)\298610\remote\SaveGames

Screenshot (122).png

"Oh, it's another me!" *Grabs hammer*

I'm curious to know why that did not work for you. Were the two UIDs different or the same when editing? Might shed some light on the issue. 

Edit: Those are the correct saves btw

Edited by Krynoc
Clarification

2 hours ago, Krynoc said:

"Oh, it's another me!" *Grabs hammer*

I'm curious to know why that did not work for you. Were the two UIDs different or the same when editing? Might shed some light on the issue. 

Edit: Those are the correct saves btw

The UID alphanumeric were different (but the simple "name" went from Lenny to LennyII).  I've been having severe issues using the crafting menu so that might play a role or another symptom.  Another factor could be the game still recognized each of the characters as separate ID's and recognized the computer's ID like it would a multi-player game (it makes sense in my head {at least that's what the voices tell me}).

I haven't been on a separate server that I've played on previously so it'll be interesting to see how that will play out.