Klay_76

Clay virtually nonexistant

It seems that on all the servers I've joined thus far, there may be only one or two clay deposits on the starter island. Usually early players have stripped these few mines dry by the time later ones join. Either that or I am seriously bad at finding the stuff. Is there anyone else who may have tips for finding it or is having the same trouble finding it?

Heya! Have you had a good look around the coast? I usually find loads of them! Sometimes they even look like sand or dirt, just try to dig them :) If the spawn island is indeed empty be sure to move to another island! I recommend this anyway as griefers rarely take the time to go there. The easiest way to go there is to make a wooden or a bamboo raft (some logs or pieces of bamboo + ropes) and take some food for your trip!

Adrie

On the topic of finding stuff, are the deposits always visible at ground level or is there a chance to find more stuff further down under the dirt?

Depends :P ..i spotted just one 'square" of  copper  but  after digging  found an extensive   vein of   copper  under it   ..and  iron ore  along side.    Sometime a  vein of  ore  goes a long  way underground,  sometimes its  just a surface layer

Edited by kimbuck
grammar clarification
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Klay_76 said:

It seems that on all the servers I've joined thus far, there may be only one or two clay deposits on the starter island. Usually early players have stripped these few mines dry by the time later ones join. Either that or I am seriously bad at finding the stuff. Is there anyone else who may have tips for finding it or is having the same trouble finding it?

Look on your map. It shows you were the deposits are. Each deposit has it's own color. Like Iron is dark gray and clay is the darkest of the tans. I think there is a couple tan color deposits. 

I play singleplayer mostly, and I run around for a while to find clay as well. Then I kinda forget the shade and get excited when I see copper, mistaking it for clay :P

lmao, I think every biome kinda have slightly different color pallet (or my eyes get error after 6 hours playing), I found clay in rainforest biome it looks like white pink-ish, but in tundra biome it looks like pale tan. xD

11 hours ago, Velocifer said:

lmao, I think every biome kinda have slightly different color pallet (or my eyes get error after 6 hours playing), I found clay in rainforest biome it looks like white pink-ish, but in tundra biome it looks like pale tan. xD

I think it is the contrast of colors around the ore that cast it to have a pinkish hue. Mine onthe rainforest biome has a pinkish hue as well.

I'm on a desert island and there is no clay.  Anywhere.  I have been around the whole thing several times and nada.  I also can't find iron.  I spawned there after I died on another island and it's frustrating cause all my stuff is somewhere else.  Thoughts?

clay deposit could be slightly different color, keep take sample for each deposit you found. And also check the cave, it might have iron deposit in it. Don't lose the spirit, as long as you still have the map and remember where you died. :)