hallie

My first attempt at a house - with a viking inspired touch

Hi all :D

Well, this game sure inspires building... I'm loving it! :D

My very first attempt is a wooden house inspired by viking longhouses - half buried in the ground for insulation ;) 

And my first big obstacle was the finishing on top of the roof. I couldn't really find something that would fit what I had in my mind, so I am grateful for free placing things - that is an amazing feature :D

But, like all other times I've thrown myself into projects, it turned out to take a little more work than anticipated :P So... it will probably be a little while before I free place some 200 poles again xD

Ylands_171209_194206.png

Ylands_171209_194223.png

Ylands_171209_194309.png

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Thank you so much :) 

Interior is still empty... Spent so much time on those damned poles that I needed to take a break :D Will get back with picture when it's decorated :) 

18 hours ago, hallie said:

Thank you so much :) 

Interior is still empty... Spent so much time on those damned poles that I needed to take a break :D Will get back with picture when it's decorated :) 

Sweet, can't wait! Also be sure to share some more exterior pictures, the door area looks interesting but I can't really see it now. And some pictures a little bit further away to get a good global view is always nice as well :D 

Aight so interior is almost done. Still need a little more stuff for the kitchen but I need to go exploring some more to find that ;) 

So here's the house from the outside - with some of the surrounding hills. The whole camp is in a small valley completely surrounded by hills on all sides :D

Ylands_171212_171218.png

Close up of the entrance

Ylands_171212_171311.png

More details on the entrance

Ylands_171212_171326.png

Living room area

Ylands_171212_171441.png

I had some trouble figuring out how to make the big couch that I wanted. But eventually figured out that if I used log stools for "legs" they would also make it possible to sit down on the couch. The sitting area is made with free placed planks ;) 

Ylands_171212_171528.png

Dining area and kitchen in the back

Ylands_171212_171550.png

Kitchen - which still needs some touches here and there. Under the kitchen table are sacks - to fill in the space and to use for storage (which you can never get too much of in this game :P )

Ylands_171212_171619.png

Behind the walls is a storage pantry

Ylands_171212_171644.png

This is still quite empty. I plan on filling up the shelves with things that I find on my future explorations ;) 

Ylands_171212_171658.png

Ylands_171212_171737.png

Upstairs is the sleeping area

Ylands_171212_171801.png

Ylands_171212_171850.png

Couch area with fire place (and when I feel like it I will change the back in the fireplace with stone... not too safe with a wooden background there :D )

Ylands_171212_171935.png

Crafting area. Just a little open structure (and yes, with a bed - I've been sleeping there while building the main house :D )

Ylands_171212_172130.png

Ylands_171212_172214.png

Edited by hallie
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I love it!! that's a lot of work... lots of terraforming and deforestation happening there :)  What kind of roof is that? I don't think I have that yet... I just have wood and stone so far.  Also I love the "sunken" in design... Did you carve into the mountain first?  I'm totally going to "borrow" this design for inspiration

6 hours ago, Lupowop said:

I love it!! that's a lot of work... lots of terraforming and deforestation happening there :)  What kind of roof is that? I don't think I have that yet... I just have wood and stone so far.  Also I love the "sunken" in design... Did you carve into the mountain first?  I'm totally going to "borrow" this design for inspiration

Yeah it has been a lot of work so far :D And thanks for your kind words :) 

It is just called wooden roof. There are two different types of these triangular roof blocks - one has a little structure and the other is this one with more structure. Maybe you need the saw to make them - not sure... they just popped up in my crafting at some point? ;) 

I did the terraforming first, yes. Digging with a spade and flattening with a shovel :) 

About the deforestation, I have a line of Tall Oak Trees around 2/3 of the base, and whenever I cut one down I make sure to plant a new one so that I always have a supply of wood right next to me, and the Tall trees yield twice as much as the regular ones so that makes it a lot easier ;) 

Edited by hallie
  • Upvote 1

Your house looks pretty neat. Very well done!

One little thing I would have changed personally is reducing the frequency of the poles on the roofing and instead of using poles I would have used logs, myself. 

But even so, still looks pretty good.

1 hour ago, Cardew_ said:

Your house looks pretty neat. Very well done!

One little thing I would have changed personally is reducing the frequency of the poles on the roofing and instead of using poles I would have used logs, myself. 

But even so, still looks pretty good.

I tried with logs first but they were just too big - and especially the endings of them alongside the roof, I couldn't get to look decent. So instead I went for the poles which gave the same effect when I placed them pretty close together. I did space them out a bit more at first but then it just looked random and weird because they are so thin :) 

Thanks for your kind words - and all suggestions are always more than welcome!! Still learning which materials to use for what :D 

• Like 1

@hallie I'm trying to emulate some of your design elements in my build.  My problem is I keep "squirreling".... "oh look what is that"....  So have you found that chopping down tall trees with a saw yields more logs than with an axe?  I was trying to test that last night but its so hard to replicate.  I also discovered the J, K, and L keys... they have become my friends... as is "freeplacing".  I too replant trees... have you found that they need to be a certain space apart for maximum growth?  I'm trying to make a tree farm nearby my base but my tall trees don't seem to grow as tall as they were originally... maybe i gotta wait more?

Just now, Lupowop said:

@hallie I'm trying to emulate some of your design elements in my build.  My problem is I keep "squirreling".... "oh look what is that"....  So have you found that chopping down tall trees with a saw yields more logs than with an axe?  I was trying to test that last night but its so hard to replicate.  I also discovered the J, K, and L keys... they have become my friends... as is "freeplacing".  I too replant trees... have you found that they need to be a certain space apart for maximum growth?  I'm trying to make a tree farm nearby my base but my tall trees don't seem to grow as tall as they were originally... maybe i gotta wait more?

Not sure about the axe/saw thing - I just know that it's quicker to saw down ;) A tall oak tree yields 16 logs when it's fully grown - no matter the size on your screen (some do look bigger than others, I think that's just random and to give variation). When it is fully grown it is labeled Tall Oak Tree - up until that point it will be called "Young Tall Oak" - so that is how you can see if they're fully grown and ready to give the maximum amount. So far it doesn't matter how close I place them. I haven't tried planting them right on top of each other so I wouldn't know about that, but I've had mine very very close together with no issues at all (except of course all the floating debris from landing in the surrounding trees :P).

I guess J, K and L do the same thing as I accomplish with G and then changing axis with RMB? :) And yes, that is a builder's best friend ;) 

2 minutes ago, hallie said:

I guess J, K and L do the same thing as I accomplish with G and then changing axis with RMB? :) And yes, that is a builder's best friend ;) 

Ohhh I need to try G and RMB... Thanks!!  JKL flip and rotate so you can place the wedge blocks upside down... takes building to a whole new level

Just now, Lupowop said:

Ohhh I need to try G and RMB... Thanks!!  JKL flip and rotate so you can place the wedge blocks upside down... takes building to a whole new level

Oh then it's probably not the same. G gives you the option to move the piece one place to each side with mouse movement on the axis you're on (switch axis with RMB). It's a little sensitive to my mouse movement but once you get a hang of it, it is really really helpful :D

@hallie, L, K, and J flip and rotate (not sure which ones do which atm) so ya you can flip logs vertical, you can rotate, flip, mirror all the pieces.  It was an "aha!" moment for me... I have been building with the "littlest" pieces and you can get pretty darn intricate details with those.  Still learning though so... not gunna post anything until I have something comparable to your place :)

Just now, Lupowop said:

@hallie, L, K, and J flip and rotate (not sure which ones do which atm) so ya you can flip logs vertical, you can rotate, flip, mirror all the pieces.  It was an "aha!" moment for me... I have been building with the "littlest" pieces and you can get pretty darn intricate details with those.  Still learning though so... not gunna post anything until I have something comparable to your place :)

I guess that is what I have been doing with H and mousemovent - that also rotates and flips in all directions :)

Looking forward to see your creations :) 

Very impressive.  I love the long house.  The use of the poles looks like it worked out really well for what you had in mind.  Can't wait to see what else you have in store for us all.  Keep up the good buildingB|

The poles on the ridge look really good. I know it took forever to free place them.