InvictusESP

[Suggestion] Build inside the ships (make ships hollow)

Question

Just what the title says. It would be very nice to build inside the big ships (as currently they are a "solid" block of wood). It would add so much depth to the ships, and very cool gameplay elements. Got caught in the middle of the sea by a storm during the night? Take shelter inside! And without having to make supersized structures on the ship.

Thanks!

Edited by InvictusESP
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 26

19 replies to this bug / suggestion

It would definitely be great if the ships were hollowed out, however you guys may find this to be an interesting work around for the time being: 

Found this on reddit earlier and it's really creative.

• Upvote 2

In case those reading this thread isn't aware, there is a simple technique that I discovered that will allow you to utilize that "blank" space inside the ship hull.  By using free placement mode, you can have items clipped inside the hull, and as long as you can still see part of the item outside you can still access it.  As you see here, I used the trick to create a sort of "Hold" in my ship by inserting several chests and cabinets into the hull and leaving the tops visible for access. (the chests on the masts were placed before I discovered the trick):

20171229071347_1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Adding to this maybe just give us the outside bottom shape on which we build the deck and make our own interior in this area ?

• Upvote 4

I totally agree to this.  Given the amount of resources you put into them, they should also do your dishes and wash your clothes, too!

Other ideas:

1. Having windowed ports on the side of the hull would allow for cannons.  Broadsides!
  2. Small ship should allow 1 large room or 2 small rooms in the hold.  Large ships should double that allowance.
  3. Allow climbing up to the crow's nest in the large mast.
  4. Small rooms for storage, beds, and the precious loot and booty you pillage from them there ylands, yarr!
  5. Parrots you can tame and put on your shoulder.
  6. Hook hand, eye patch, and/or peg leg.
  7. Better support for poop decks.
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Magnarhd said:

It would definitely be great if the ships were hollowed out, however you guys may find this to be an interesting work around for the time being: 

Found this on reddit earlier and it's really creative.

Do you know how he got the masts to connect to something other than the boat? Looks like he build up then connected masts to the top, I tried to do that last night but it would only let me attach the masts directly to the boat

• Like 1

I'm afraid I don't know, here is the reddit thread if you want to ask the creator: 

Yeah, hollow hulls is a must, because we cannot built our own round pieces... Building our own ships is now big part of the game.

He made that ship in Creative Mode. Maybe just remove the limits from Exploration mode? Honestly, we just need to be able to place Masts on objects.

I'm sure the devs have something in mind for the ships. This is probably the best "Early Access" game I've played in a while.

Edited by Captain Monki
  • Upvote 1

On 2017-12-13 at 4:01 PM, blfonsworth said:

Do you know how he got the masts to connect to something other than the boat? Looks like he build up then connected masts to the top, I tried to do that last night but it would only let me attach the masts directly to the boat

Hey! I'm the creator of that ship and it was posted on this forum too :) 

I built the hull of the ship in the editor and the interior+paint in creative. I did some experimenting in the editor and found that you can place the base of the mast anywhere within the bounds of the ship. The mast itself can exceed the limits of the bound. I'm not sure if this is the intent of the creators or just a bug, but I really hope they keep it for creative purposes. Again this is just in the editor, I haven't done any testing in creative or exploration mode.

At the moment I don't care very much for building ships in explore/creative because the editor allows a few techniques you can't do otherwise and also it's a total pain in the ass to delete stuff in explore which is a complete deal-breaker for me. I just like to build nice stuff :P

Edited by zarwil
  • Upvote 2

you can also move the anchor leaver where you like in editor mode, and put blocks into each other to fix the problem of say no 1,2 or 3 square blocks that some items don't have like logs only come in 4 squares, with the editor you can move them into each other easy, is why i was saying i wish we had the editors build mode in play mode, of course needing the items to build the stuff in play mode, but the view and the things the editor building can do is far better than play mode, which adds to the question why would you go through the nightmare of building a big structure or ship in playmode, when you can do it so much easier with free camera angles ect in editor mode.

also i must say it is hard to build symmetry with a 3 squared door, please give us 4 squared doors, and the ability to cut down logs,beams into 1 square 2 square and 3 square.logs/beams with the saw 

workstation, workbench?

workstation.jpg

Edited by Designated Drinker
  • Upvote 1

it's nice but i think most people actually want a hull and don't like the vanilla flooring so they put down beams, i kinda want just the base of the ship and some half circles to build my own hull, not sure if this style game we can have half circles though, if we could i am sure they would of put them in?

• Upvote 1

Strange, I knew I posted in here this morning, but it dropped.

I'll post it again:  I've learned to free-place chests and cabinets into the deck of the shop hull, leaving just the top of it visible, allowing access to storage, but not taking up any precious living space on the topside.

I'll post a picture of it when I get back home later.

Or creating yours ship from blocks and add something like floatting block (crafted from sponge or something ) inside that game would know that must to float on water, then i can have real catamaran :-) or modern yacht not only 17th century look like ships

Edited by mac maz

On 12/13/2017 at 8:01 AM, blfonsworth said:

Do you know how he got the masts to connect to something other than the boat?

I Believe that he made the ship in Editor mode. i remember reading in the fourms somewhere, someone said you can place masts on built parts only in editor mode

Just to throw in my opinion.  I definitely want to see hollow ships.  I think the cost of the ship is pretty fair and wouldn't need to be changed.  If an inside area was created though, would you prefer it to be bare bones or would you care to see a bit of pre fab work done?  Like a simple floor and ceiling that looks like it belongs on a ship?  Personally I want totally empty so I could have a sort of hidden treasure passage or something like that.