PostMorris

DEV ANSWER [YLD-8084] Host Unreachable

Question

Me and my 2 friends have been finding it incredibly hard to actually join a game together without it saying 'Host Unreachable'. We have spent a good hour or so retrying and retrying and my friend has gotten lucky so it seems and has connected however i'm still stuck, any suggestions?

P.s.

I am from EU region and they are both from NA. 

34 replies to this bug / suggestion

I've been having the same problem for the past few days. Trying to join our server but I get the notification every time, and we're both in the US.

Same issue. My friend and I created a map and started building. We played for a couple hours and now he can no longer join that game. His character is also still there regardless if I have it in single player mode or multi. When he tries to connect my game starts to lag and glitch and that's the only indication that he is trying. Shortly after he gets the "host unreachable" and kicks him back. We have tried him and I hosting multiple maps and it does it on every map now. We can no longer play at all together. Kinda disheartening.

3 hours ago, RuneAwakening said:

Same issue. My friend and I created a map and started building. We played for a couple hours and now he can no longer join that game. His character is also still there regardless if I have it in single player mode or multi. When he tries to connect my game starts to lag and glitch and that's the only indication that he is trying. Shortly after he gets the "host unreachable" and kicks him back. We have tried him and I hosting multiple maps and it does it on every map now. We can no longer play at all together. Kinda disheartening.

Seems all related, mind if we merge the threads for the devs?

• Thanks 1

Whenever this happens, please send us the following files: output_log and output_log_clean, you can find them in the directory \Program Files(86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ylands\Ylands_Data

• Upvote 1

I'm having the same problem, was able to play normally ONCE with a friend for about 30 minutes, then my character got stuck, I wasn't able to look around (it constantly reset my point of view to the previous position before getting stuck), I couldn't move with WASD either, but I could see the game was still "running", as animations were playing, but nothing moved. I quit to main menu (Menus in game worked fine), and when I tried to join back in again I got the Host Unreachable message every single time I tried. Here are the logs.

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

• Thanks 1

I have the same problem. Host unreachable on two servers my friend has hosted. I can connect first time but trying to connect the second time I get the error. Which means we have to start a new server everytime we want to play together. Hope this gets sorted soon...

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

Edited by Pandydo

Already done everything in that link. Full reinstall of windows, steam and the game. Had the chaps over at the server host work all day trying to fix it from their end and help me fix what might be wrong on my end. Still getting this error message. 

We get this message whenever we try to join someones elses game. My son and I can join eachothers localy hosted multiplayer games, but not join games of friends in other countries. Also we have rented a dedicated server now, and we keep getting the same error message.

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

Alright, we'll look into it and let you know. We appreciate your patience.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 28/12/2017 at 8:53 AM, Ane said:

Alright, we'll look into it and let you know. We appreciate your patience.

How long does it take to work? I can not wait to play in multi with my friends :'(

And Happy New Year Ylands Team :) 

Edited by Gary Bruey
  • Upvote 1

From the latest Dev Diary:

* Host Unreachable
This is a rather unfortunate issue. If you're among those experiencing it, first take a look here http://steamcommunity.com/app/298610/discussions/2/1620599015865077154/. The thing is that the absolute majority of possible causes resulting in this issue have nothing to do with Ylands itself (we're using Steam networking). The sad truth is that with pretty much every MP game there are some players who are experiencing this behavior because it may be caused by anything from an antivirus or firewall setting, their network topology or it can be related to their provider and as much as we would love for everyone to be able to play Ylands, these issues are something we can do nothing about. That being said we are still looking into this to make sure that there's absolutely nothing on our side which could be a reason for this as well. 

17 minutes ago, Ane said:

From the latest Dev Diary:

* Host Unreachable
This is a rather unfortunate issue. If you're among those experiencing it, first take a look here http://steamcommunity.com/app/298610/discussions/2/1620599015865077154/. The thing is that the absolute majority of possible causes resulting in this issue have nothing to do with Ylands itself (we're using Steam networking). The sad truth is that with pretty much every MP game there are some players who are experiencing this behavior because it may be caused by anything from an antivirus or firewall setting, their network topology or it can be related to their provider and as much as we would love for everyone to be able to play Ylands, these issues are something we can do nothing about. That being said we are still looking into this to make sure that there's absolutely nothing on our side which could be a reason for this as well. 

This "solution" don't work :(

i think not that problem come of steam, me and my friend played together two or three hours before this problem and in her reconnexion, message : host Unreachable.
I think this problem come from you unfortunately :/ 

This is NOT an issue with your firewall, ISP, or ports.

If any of my friends or I move a certain distance away from our island, we get sent to the main menu with Host Unreachable error and cannot rejoin often for 20+ minutes.

The same thing happens if we get too close to another players base on this same island. Crash to menu, Host Unreachable. 

This is very much an issue related to the world becoming bloated after extensive amounts of building and exploration.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/5/2018 at 5:30 AM, Ane said:

The sad truth is that with pretty much every MP game there are some players who are experiencing this behavior because it may be caused by anything from an antivirus or firewall setting, their network topology or it can be related to their provider

It hard to accept that when the issue is intermittent. I've connected to my DS daily for the last 9 days, tonight I'm experiencing the error of this topic. I can see that others are logged in. I was logged in just an hour ago, suddenly I'm met with this message. My AV and my Firewall has not changed, and my ISP is the same. So, why now? If this had been an issue since the beginning then it would be easier to accept an error in my setup, but that is not the case.

On the steam forum this was posted: > "Steam networking will be able to establish connection without issues, but sometimes firewall or specific configuration of network environment of the client or server may affect it."

Again, this can be the issue for some, but this cannot be the reason for all because some of us have lots of Steam games. I do not experience this issue with any other game, including other early access games. So again it's hard for me to accept that it's a steam issue, when I'm only experiencing this with Ylands. Just to be sure, I just now logged into two other Early access games, no problem at all. If there was ever a time prior to Ylands that I saw "host unreachable" for any Steam game I own, I don't recall it. And again, nothing has changed on my system, my firewall and configuration is the same all week, and tonight I'm getting this error.

On 1/5/2018 at 5:30 AM, Ane said:

...as much as we would love for everyone to be able to play Ylands, these issues are something we can do nothing about.

That being said we are still looking into this to make sure that there's absolutely nothing on our side which could be a reason for this... 

Not to be argumentative, but those two statements in bold seem to conflict, that tells me that at the very least, it might be too early to entertain absolutes with regard to any issues, especially during early access. 

[EDIT] I can join other servers, not mine. I can join other servers that use the same host that I'm using, yet I'm still getting the error for mine, even though I could join it earlier today (and all week). It seems there is an issue with some game sessions, and not others... that would bring the issue back to the Ylands.

Edited by Whane The Whip

That's why we are still looking into it :)

• Thanks 1