zarwil

Concerns about the editor

Question

Hey I'd like to share some bugs and general concerns about the editor. I have played around with it for maybe 20 hours+ and have encountered some annoying bugs and lack of necessary features that would make the editor a complete tool.

* First of all the copy and paste function is broken. When copying several items, like different slopes, they often don't keep their original orientation. Copy and paste needs some aditional functionality as well. Most glaring is the ability to flip/mirror the copied section and perhaps ability to manipulate it in other ways before pasting. There needs to be a way to drag and copy several objects in one mouse movement. At the moment the ctrl+left click is not good enough if you have a larger structure and objects you can't reach. This is pretty critical imo.

* When generating terrain you can't undo the action with ctrl+z and the game saves automatically without telling you. This could potentially result in some very sad accidents. There is no way (as far as I know) to generate an infinite sea or an infinite grass surface (although this is default, there is no way to create it yourself if you have removed all terrain). It would be a great addition. 

* The coloring feature is broken. When you color something and save it, the colors will sometimes not be saved. In fact, for me it rarely has. 

* Something I'd like to see is the possibility to open an exploration or creative save in the editor to be able to place compositions and do other edits. Hopefully you're not concerned with players cheating their singleplayer maps since the only players affected are themselves.

* I have experienced a bug where I would save my creation, exit to menu, then load the save and find several duplicated parts of the build from an earlier save -as if the two latest saves had been merged into one. 

That's it for the moment. There is probably some stuff I missed but that's that. This game has some quirks but it has infinite potential! GL.

9 replies to this bug / suggestion

Hi, thank you for your feedback,

"  * First of all the copy and paste function is broken. When copying several items, like different slopes, they often don't keep their original orientation. "

Behaviour of paste depends on your current settings in editor. If you want to keep orientation of copied objects (you do not want to align them with target terrain) then be sure you have set these to options set:

copypaste-keeporientation.jpg

"* Something I'd like to see is the possibility to open an exploration or creative save in the editor to be able to place compositions and do other edits. Hopefully you're not concerned with players cheating their singleplayer maps since the only players affected are themselves. "

There is already option to edit your save files. Go to File - Open - and switch there to Games:

20171211103538_1.jpg

"At the moment the ctrl+left click is not good enough if you have a larger structure and objects you can't reach. "

I do not understand how you want it to behave? Can you get me in example? (are you able to get wanted result by creating and placing composition?)

" or an infinite grass surface "

File -New. However I feel that you probably did not want to hear this. Changing terrain base (infinite grass/nothing/set of ylands) will always result in fresh new map (there is no clever way how to copy stuff from one type to another). If you want to use part of your level in another level then you have to make and use compositions.

* The coloring feature is broken. When you color something and save it, the colors will sometimes not be saved. In fact, for me it rarely has. 

Are you able to reproduce it with defined set of steps? We did not encountered that kind of problem. Maybe something went wrong in your save file. Can you attach it and write what you were trying to color but the color did not save?

I filled not mentioned issues to our bug trucker. Just there was nothing to ask at the moment. Do not worry. They were not omitted.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, zarwil said:

I don't know how to reply in this forum but I hope you see this anyways xD 

I'll give you an example of what I mean -all in one.

I have this save file (attached) of a ship in the editor. Every block on the ship was painted in different shades of brown when I saved the game, however only a few blocks are actually painted if you load the save. I played around with it just now and didn't seem to be able to replicate it which is weird cause it happened twise yesterday. I saved quite often to make sure I didn't lose my progress. Maybe it has to do with painting huge ammounts of blocks at once. It also had cannons before and a few other peices that were "duplicaded" from an earlier save, but I removed those. For example there was 2 sets of cannons, one set from an earlier save placed slightly further back and not painted, and another set from the current save painted black sitting inside the other cannons but very slightly further ahead.

As for the copying; If I now want to mark every block on this ship and save as a composition, I have to mark them all individually with ctrl+left click. You will realize this is not practical if you load the save. You can't reach all blocks without removing others first and there are hundreds of blocks in total. What I suggest is a marking feature like MCEdit had where you click twise to mark two points in space that serve as two opposite edges in a cube/cuboid, thereby selecting every object inside the cuboid. Maybe this exists already but I haven't been able to find it and there is no information about it on the internet or in the game to my knowledge. I suggest you look at MCEdit actually because it's a brilliant tool and you might get a few ideas :)

Thanks for the help :)

SHIP_1.2_COLOR_BASE.rar

Hi there!

So the first point - I've had an issue with painted blocks on my ship saving as well, I painted a ship all one colour, saved it as a composition and loaded it in to an explore mode, only to find that each different map I load it in to, it appears as a different set of colours!

I think they may be aware of this, if not they are now!

On to your second point - there is a kind of trick to this, not sure if they meant for this to be tricky on purpose, but here's how you go about doing it!

First - select the ship's hull object (large green box around everything should show up).

Second - hold Ctrl and click on any block that you have added to your ship.

Third - now that your ship hull and single block are selected, right click on the single block and choose "Save as composition" - it will save all the blocks as one.

Spawn in your composition to test before closing to make sure it works fine (you can click back button to remove it again if all is well).

Edited by John - NEXFER
  • Like 1

I don't know how to reply in this forum but I hope you see this anyways xD 

I'll give you an example of what I mean -all in one.

I have this save file (attached) of a ship in the editor. Every block on the ship was painted in different shades of brown when I saved the game, however only a few blocks are actually painted if you load the save. I played around with it just now and didn't seem to be able to replicate it which is weird cause it happened twise yesterday. I saved quite often to make sure I didn't lose my progress. Maybe it has to do with painting huge ammounts of blocks at once. It also had cannons before and a few other peices that were "duplicaded" from an earlier save, but I removed those. For example there was 2 sets of cannons, one set from an earlier save placed slightly further back and not painted, and another set from the current save painted black sitting inside the other cannons but very slightly further ahead.

As for the copying; If I now want to mark every block on this ship and save as a composition, I have to mark them all individually with ctrl+left click. You will realize this is not practical if you load the save. You can't reach all blocks without removing others first and there are hundreds of blocks in total. What I suggest is a marking feature like MCEdit had where you click twise to mark two points in space that serve as two opposite edges in a cube/cuboid, thereby selecting every object inside the cuboid. Maybe this exists already but I haven't been able to find it and there is no information about it on the internet or in the game to my knowledge. I suggest you look at MCEdit actually because it's a brilliant tool and you might get a few ideas :)

Thanks for the help :)

SHIP_1.2_COLOR_BASE.rar

NEXFER - I'll make sure to try this out! Thanks a lot! Maybe it's best to place the ship in an explore or creative map and paint by hand.

Hi,

I am unable to extract that file (I have tried 7zip + 2 online tools). Can you please just rename suffix of the .yland file to .txt?

Both comments noted. We will look into it. I agree that selecting more items on ships is now really painful. (if you try to select it, it will select whole ship with everything on it) We have think how to make it easier and not break other features.

" So the first point - I've had an issue with painted blocks on my ship saving as well, I painted a ship all one colour, saved it as a composition and loaded it in to an explore mode, only to find that each different map I load it in to, it appears as a different set of colours! "

Yes, we know now. Thank you.

And NEXFER, marking just one block on the hull and saving composition worked great! Thanks a lot :)

On 12/11/2017 at 4:03 AM, zarwil said:

There is no way (as far as I know) to generate an infinite sea

Soon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1