Hi guys, I've had quite the time trying to not only find islands (sometimes up to or exceeding an hour), but then caves on them and sulfur in those caves. I've started a bunch of different maps, and I've played on a few of the servers. Today I found probably the best starting island to date; it has deep caves with multiple entrances, gold and sulfur veins (first that I've seen of either) almost near the surface, the brick building with cannonballs and flintlocks (as seen in the picture, I believe the gold/copper vein can be seen in the distance), every type of tree imaginable, etc. Is there a way I can find the seed that generated this map, and then share it with the community? I've only had Ylands for a few days so I'm not sure it is even possible to enter in a specific seed.

Ylands_171211_051317.png

I believe the seed is the name you give to your save / yland when you start the game.

At least in my experience, giving it the same name will put you in the same map, tho not necessarily the same initial spawn point.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, vforventura said:

I believe the seed is the name you give to your save / yland when you start the game.

At least in my experience, giving it the same name will put you in the same map, tho not necessarily the same initial spawn point.

Had no idea about this!  Thank you

Had this pop up as my starter island, then killed by a bear and repeatedly killed by the other bear at the spawn over and over.

Ylands_4x_171211_114636.png

• Like 2

On 12/11/2017 at 4:33 AM, vforventura said:

I tried making two saves with the same island names and I got two different biomes.  Didn't work for me but I am quite pleased with my I would say 7th save. I then just erased the progress on a couple of them and it gave me the full maps as the continue picture instead of my character. Was nice to see how many islands the save has and where they are all at.  

3 hours ago, Dustin Michael said:

I tried making two saves with the same island names and I got two different biomes.  Didn't work for me but I am quite pleased with my I would say 7th save. I then just erased the progress on a couple of them and it gave me the full maps as the continue picture instead of my character. Was nice to see how many islands the save has and where they are all at.  

I didn't test this like, A LOT, but since I play on self-imposed permadeath, I probably restart more often than most people. What I noticed, in one of my games that I deleted after a death, was that when I made a new game with the same name, I spawned on a different starter island, but after progressing and sailing around a bit, I ended up finding the exact same island that I had spawned at in my previous game, with the same points of interest / prefabs in the same spots and such.

I don't know if this works every time, but it did work for me at least once. The main thing to keep in mind, like I said, is that when you delete and remake that world, your first island might happen to be a different one (different spawn point) but if what happened to me is the 'intended' behavior for map seeds and not some rare oddity, it should still be the same overall world map, even if it takes a while to find your island from a previous game again.

7 hours ago, Biytor said:

Had this pop up as my starter island, then killed by a bear and repeatedly killed by the other bear at the spawn over and over.

I love finding those giant cave entrances, tho it rarely happens to me on starter islands.

If that first room is clear of hostiles, it looks like it would be a wonderful place for your first camp, since you get a free roof to keep your forges / smelters / kilns running even thru storms. Saves the trouble of having to either build a roof or dig out a hidey hole for your temporary camp if you decide that your main base is not going to be on your starting island :D

If you get in trouble with wildlife early in the game, I find that a good way to make 'em stop chasing you is to jump into the ocean and swim out for a bit until they stop chasing, then make an U turn and go back to shore a little ways away, out of aggro range of the bears / kitties / whatever. Just gotta keep an eye out for sharks, but since you dont have to swim out very far for them to stop chasing, that's usually not a problem.

Edited by vforventura