Magnarhd

Lighting/Lights

Hey,

I've played quite a bit and me and a few friends have started creating our own town, the only difficulty is keeping the place lit up at night. Lanterns don't really do the trick and bonfires look a little out of place.

Are there any other lights/lamps? I've created light bulbs (accidentally) though I'm not sure if they're for vehicles?

Any advice would be appreciated. 

1 minute ago, Magnarhd said:

Hey,

I've played quite a bit and me and a few friends have started creating our own town, the only difficulty is keeping the place lit up at night. Lanterns don't really do the trick and bonfires look a little out of place.

Are there any other lights/lamps? I've created light bulbs (accidentally) though I'm not sure if they're for vehicles?

Hi there,

Once you unlock some devices that can generate energy (electricity), then there is a range of powered lights and lamps that can be created, complete with on/off switches! 

Until those things are unlocked however, it's cave-man style!

• Upvote 1

there is a brazier, this lights area up a bit more, it goes out tho, like everything else seems to, def goes out in the rain

• Upvote 1

Keep those light bulbs and make a flashlight. With that flashlight make a miners helmet. I wear that at all times at night cause it illumes everything you are looking at and can't imagine going into mines without it. Unlike a lantern you don't have to have it in your hand for it to work

Edited by Dustin Michael
  • Upvote 1

Yep I had the miners helmet and it's awesome, there is also an awesome variant available though I wont spoil it.

I finally got lights/street lamps up I just need to do something a little more creative with the energy streams as the bright green light connecting them is a little unattractive.

46 minutes ago, Magnarhd said:

I finally got lights/street lamps up I just need to do something a little more creative with the energy streams as the bright green light connecting them is a little unattractive.

It would be nice if you could make the energy streams invisible, or at least only visible when your character is holding the Energy Linker.

6 minutes ago, Marshall Myers said:

It would be nice if you could make the energy streams invisible, or at least only visible when your character is holding the Energy Linker.

Agreed, I feel like it really ruins the aesthetic at the moment. We're currently using crystal shards and a ton of lanterns for lighting and have powered off our energy until we can hide the streams somehow.

E.g: 

hqWOChf.png

Is now 

86djlym3qo301.png

We use a lot of crystals and mushrooms from caves. They glow like a lantern. They're not as bright but you can find them in large quantity in the caves. We have them on corners of railings, on tables, lining the stairs, all sorts of places you need light.

The catch to using them is how the game treats different light sources. It seems that player made light sources (torches, lanterns, etc) can be seen from a further distance away than the natural light sources (crystals, mushrooms). The crystals are also brighter than the mushrooms. The mushrooms are more like walkway lights, they remind me of those cheap solar power lights you get at the hardware store to put up your driveway or sidewalk outside your house.

On 11/12/2017 at 3:21 PM, Magnarhd said:

Hey,

lanterns? lightbulbs? miner's helmet? energy stream thingies? wow lots more to discover, know nothing about these things.  i expect glass might be the next thing to make, need it for house anyway. will certainly be going cave mining also :)

1 hour ago, Vonnie406 said:

lanterns? lightbulbs? miner's helmet? energy stream thingies? wow lots more to discover, know nothing about these things.  i expect glass might be the next thing to make, need it for house anyway. will certainly be going cave mining also :)

When you go in the caves, collect the crystals and mushrooms. They glow naturally, the crystals are very bright. You can pick them up then place them down at your base, on your raft/boat, wherever for free light