Ikaarus

Set Respawn Point On Bed

Do You Agree?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Question

With the time i have playing Ylands so far, I have made a list in my mind of changes i believe could improve the game. One of the greater things i thought of would be to be able to lay down in a bed and set spawn (without sleeping so in multiplayer you can still do it). I feel that this change would so greatly effect this game in a positive way. There have been numeruos occasions where i am traveling on my ship, find a Yland and die, when this happens i am stranded back on the spawn island without my ship of anything i have. I really look forward to changes in this game for the better, thank you.

8 replies to this bug / suggestion

They wrote that, it would take away the difficulty on game, and I agree. I only can accept reboundable revive if it has some kind of extremely high cost on it (not cooldown). For example, a high tech Ylandium Cloning Tube, which require an amount of Ylandium to be in it, to allow revival on it. Other than that, if they make you able to claim an island (1 owner, or one guild) rebinding respawn on your own island to a bed(not on vehicle) sounds reasonable.
Reason:
Bed respawn would make pvp raiding easy. Imagine a base, that has booby traps in it, it's useless if players can respawn 10 times to die in every trap once, and learn all its secrets in no time. Or a naval combat, where killing off the crew to plunder their ship is impossible due to their non-stop respawning.
However, if the cost is overwhelmingly high, you are still able to have some "spare" life on your ship to respawn, but you can't zerg a base down brainlessly.
Imagine it something like "If you keep flooding a base with naked respawns, you burn up more resources than you can acquire even from the richest place" kind of approach. That's ok to me. But free bed spawnpoint is not.
Dieing should be costy. And under no circumstances would it be good if someone can profit from it in this game.

Edited by Rongyos
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Rongyos said:

They wrote that, it would take away the difficulty on game, and I agree. I only can accept reboundable revive if it has some kind of extremely high cost on it (not cooldown). For example, a high tech Ylandium Cloning Tube, which require an amount of Ylandium to be in it, to allow revival on it. Other than that, if they make you able to claim an island (1 owner, or one guild) rebinding respawn on your own island to a bed(not on vehicle) sounds reasonable.
Reason:
Bed respawn would make pvp raiding easy. Imagine a base, that has booby traps in it, it's useless if players can respawn 10 times to die in every trap once, and learn all its secrets in no time. Or a naval combat, where killing off the crew to plunder their ship is impossible due to their non-stop respawning.
However, if the cost is overwhelmingly high, you are still able to have some "spare" life on your ship to respawn, but you can't zerg a base down brainlessly.
Imagine it something like "If you keep flooding a base with naked respawns, you burn up more resources than you can acquire even from the richest place" kind of approach. That's ok to me. But free bed spawnpoint is not.
Dieing should be costy. And under no circumstances would it be good if someone can profit from it in this game.

Thanks for the response, I totally agree with this. I will admit i was not really thinking about the raiding and pvp part of this decision, I feel like possible there should be multiple multiplayer modes such as:

Peaceful - No pvp, can set spawns in bed

PvP - Cant spawn in beds, instead do your idea

I feel like this addition to the game could allow personal servers with few people who are not interested in pvp to remove a difficult part of the game but still let large public servers or a group of friends who want to pvp have a more fair way of raiding and such. Thanks for the response again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rongyos said:

Reason:

Those are very fair points from a PVP / mutiplayer perspective, but there's also a good argument, I think, to be made for having the current 'no respawn' method in a single player (or multiplayer with no pvp) game.

The game, as it stands, is not terribly difficult after a few hours spent learning how the various systems work, and once you do, after tech-ing up a little bit you're pretty much golden. Caves for example are very doable in full iron with some strategy, and once you find a good cave you're set with guardian gear and a propeller pack. In my latest game, that took about three to four in-game days to accomplish, and I play on self-imposed permadeath mode (as I do on every single player survival game, because if repeated deaths are a viable strategy, its not a survival game).

The main balancing point for single player difficulty lies precisely in how costly a death is. Technically, you 'respawn' as an entirely new character (as is the case with some rogue-lite games, like Sunless Sea and Rogue Legacy) that inherits some of the previous characters belongings. This is an interesting choice for a survival and exploration type game, and its a pretty original one to boot, which is nice as the market already has quite a few straight up minecraft clones. It fits nicely with my playstyle, tho I still maintain my self-imposed 'delete save on death' policy (and I hope they add permadeath as an actual option to save me the trouble of doing it manually at some point down the line), but I understand that this is not in line with most players expectations, so I'm not opposed to having easier options as well with infinite respawns for people that want a more relaxed experience that falls somewhere between the normal exploration mode and creative.

I think that a possible compromise, borrowed from Don't Starve, would be to have a few random prefabs scattered around the islands with an object that you can activate to act as a single use respawn point. This should only work once per person per prefab, of course. It would encourage exploration, provide a bit of a 'get out of jail free' card as a reward, but still keep the risk of death and the inconvenience of having to go find your corpse, but potentially put you closer to where you died and offer the opportunity for a bit of strategy (like stashing some spare armor, weapons, food and materials for a raft next to the prefab). Alternately, to differentiate it from the system already in place, those prefabs might allow you to come back to life with your armor and the contents of your hotbar, and you would only lose the contents of your inventory.

Personally I'd find that a more interesting solution than something that you can build, because, first, ylandium is a sufficiently finite resource in the current state of the game (since as far as I can tell, cave-dwelling mobs never respawn) and we don't need yet another ylandium sink, at least not with the current 12-max-islands system, and second, because the 'extra lives' would also be a very finite resource and so, couldn't be spammed even if you did have unlimited resources.

I have yet to try multiplayer, but I imagine that with 5+ people on the same map, the entire supply of ylandium might be depleted well before all of them could even get to craft all the desirable ylandium-based items (generators aren't really necessary since you have alternatives that don't need ylandium at all, like wind turbines and steam engines), so I don't know if some sort of ylandium cloning chamber would be a desirable solution even for multiplayer.

Edited by vforventura
  • Upvote 2

@vforventura Yeah. I kind of thought about respawning cave dwellers/mobs, so you could harvest some ylandium dust with combat from time to time. Respawning on hostile mobs supposed to be in the game if consistent multiplayer game servers are in mind, and POI resets, or the world empty out in no time. Also, if NPCs come, such as traders, there could be some conversion from renewable resources->gold coins, gold coins->ylandium dust. If it won't be in game, once the editor allows it and i gather some experience in editing, i will make it possible and share it on workshop.
*EDIT*
I agree on the idea of respawns would take some preparation to do. The prefabs are nice idea, i also played don't starve, but in a multiplayer scenario, those prefabs would be used up in no time. My Cloning Tube suggestion wouldn't break the hardcoreness, or the "you can lose everything if you play bad" approach in multiplayer, since if you upload a cloning chamber with 7 respawn worth of ylandium, and it get destroyed, and looted, you lose more, than if you don't invest that much on one ship, thus there will be still situations when giving up a ship would be a better decision, than having 10-20 respawn ticket worth of stuff on it. I'm pretty sure there will be carrier ships just for wandering respawn spots for "clans", but those ship would be loot pinatas, so building one would end up taking a huge toll on its sinking, which maintains the balance. The Ylandium would be lootable until it's not consumed, so you can have some loot from respawn bounded ships if you mess it up before the ylandium is used up (encourage boarding/ sneaking on board).

Edited by Rongyos

On one hand, I can see the arguments against this from a multiplayer/pvp perspective, but there are a few things to consider:

1. With only a single respawn point on an island, this could easily be walled/locked by dickish pvp players, thus ruining the respawn mechanic entirely.

2.The current implementation doesn't really make it any more difficult. If I'm exploring a cave and I die, all my stuff drops on the ground in the cave and I spawn at the respawn point on the island. If I have a boat or a base on the island, I simply have to run to it to craft/grab a backup set of gear to get back to my corpse. All this really does is add a bit of tedium, since I'd otherwise just be spawning at my boat/base. 

3. With multiplayer modes able to be created in the editor, this could easily be a setting that is settable based on the mode you're wanting to play.

4. In Exploration mode, especially multiplayer, having a way to spawn at your base vs on the island you're on could be really valuable, and since there is a respawn point at most islands (except the ice islands from what I've seen), you're likely not going to be too far from your stuff in any event.

• Upvote 1

I have not played MP on this yet but I see both sides of the argument... Perhaps making it a Server side option?  In other words... when you start a New game and/or when you host a server... there is an "option" for bed respawn on/off... Simple as that (in theory) now implementing is another thing :)

• Upvote 1

+1 for making such an option server configurable, as with most other features where different play styles and communities require different settings. One size does not fit all. Carebear servers for kids with foam padded trees, or Rust re-enactment with naval warfare and admin trolling? Both should be possible.

• Thanks 1

Fully agree as an option .

This feature is as old as Mine Craft the Godfather off survival so imho this shows their is no real excuse not to implement it .

Not everyone is a flagellant , to me death is already embarrassing enough .

I do respect if people like to punish them selves but i would also ask for respect for those who just wanna have fun

An option would only make this game more appealing for more people that would benefit us and the company !