Polk

A helpful building guide.

So a big and fun part of this game is the building aspect. My personal favourite structural material when building is bamboo as it is cheap, easy to harvest and is is greater numbers than wood. Some blocks made from these is the wood log sized block, a 4 times as long block, 1/3 of the wood long and then my favourite the slab, which is very neat for floors and roofs. (There was no wiki for the rest of the different blocks, but crafting is the pretty much the same)

Handy Tools:

a very great tool to use when building is the shovel, difference between a shovel and a spade is that instead of digging a huge hole, it makes the area completely flat, perfect for hut building! (Not advisable to use the in ocean)

next is the hammer, it is great for removing rocks and other things scattered around the world that might block a path, and destroying things that you regret placing much faster.

the saw is great for a lot of things. Tired of hitting an oak log or a couple bamboo sticks with an axe by accident and breaking them? Well if you use a saw, it will only target the tree, and that previous problem will not happen again.

Rotating:

very simple, it is possible to rotate any object on the X and Y axis by simpl y using the keys J, K or L. While aslo being able to go 360 degrees.

thing is, unless one use free placing mode, all items will snap to a grid, so it is impossible to rotate in example 45 degrees while it has a grid. And there is no current way of removing that, using free placing on chests or sails will not work.

getting it in the correct position on the grid is easy, just hold down CTRL and use WASD to move it around, SIMPLE!

this building helping Guide is NOT done. Simple draft and i will add more things later, these are the basics.

Edited by Polk
  • Upvote 1

Build with wood it only take 7 hits per plank/block to remove compared to stone if you like me like making lots of mistakes or constantly changing your mind.. O.o

8 hours ago, Polk said:

rotate any object on the X and Y axis by simpl y using the keys J, K or L.

Is this documented anywhere?  I've been looking all over for how to do this.

Just now, cfrox said:

Is this documented anywhere?  I've been looking all over for how to do this.

Not as i know, a friend of mine was button mashing and found it, thought id share since i did not see this anywhere else.

This would be a nice central topic on building in general :) I've made a short guide on examples how to use freeplace mode which can be useful as well:

I didn't know about the ctrl+WASD yet, sounds like it's very useful!

Adrie

thanks to everyone for the tips but I am still having problems when finishing a roof to meet up nicely with other objects I use free place but it looks crappy its either up to far or not in the right spot

On 12.12.2017 at 8:39 AM, Polk said:

Rotating:

very simple, it is possible to rotate any object on the X and Y axis by simpl y using the keys J, K or L. While aslo being able to go 360 degrees.

thing is, unless one use free placing mode, all items will snap to a grid, so it is impossible to rotate in example 45 degrees while it has a grid. And there is no current way of removing that, using free placing on chests or sails will not work.

getting it in the correct position on the grid is easy, just hold down CTRL and use WASD to move it around, SIMPLE!

The easiest way to place things, I know. Thank you a lot!

Edited by ovring

Is there a way to free place? I found a house, but accidentally broke some of the windows. When I try to replace them, its snapped to the grid, and is not level with the other windows.

19 hours ago, JAZZ27 said:

Is there a way to free place? I found a house, but accidentally broke some of the windows. When I try to replace them, its snapped to the grid, and is not level with the other windows.

I'm guessing the house was part of a random encounter? If so, you cannot modify it.