Ericraft

Object Locking/Unlocking

Question

Is it possible to get object locking or unlocking? I've been playing Ylands now for about 30 hours and counting now and I keep making the same mistake.  I put a carpet in front of the door in my house and sometimes I misclick and pick up the carpet.  And of course, I could prevent all of this by not putting objects near other objects with operations, but that would not fit my creative freedom. :P It would be great if you could lock it in place so you don't accidentally pick up something by mistake.  It can be tedious placing objects just in the right place to only have them picked up when you are trying to operate something else.  I probably placed and picked up that carpet 10-15 times trying to open my front door.  A locking/unlocking mechanism would be a good solution to my reoccurring problem. :) 

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I'm new to the forum.

• Upvote 5

5 replies to this bug / suggestion

5 hours ago, Ericraft said:

Is it possible to get object locking or unlocking? I've been playing Ylands now for about 30 hours and counting now and I keep making the same mistake.  I put a carpet in front of the door in my house and sometimes I misclick and pick up the carpet.  And of course, I could prevent all of this by not putting objects near other objects with operations, but that would not fit my creative freedom. :P It would be great if you could lock it in place so you don't accidentally pick up something by mistake.  It can be tedious placing objects just in the right place to only have them picked up when you are trying to operate something else.  I probably placed and picked up that carpet 10-15 times trying to open my front door.  A locking/unlocking mechanism would be a good solution to my reoccurring problem. :) 

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I'm new to the forum.

I completely agree with this. I feel like maybe when placing items you can pick up such as a carpet you should hold e and click "Pick up Decor" or something. This is a topic i am interested in and hope the devs can find a solution.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

As I was placing some walls I thought about how handy this would be. My ideal solution would be to add something like a paintbrush/sponge/rag (I'm going to call it an "applicator") that can apply a "varnish" made from either resin, or boiled wood stuff. Use the applicator on your wall or rug or whatever, using up some varnish, and the item is locked. The only way to unlock it is to have an applicator in your hand to "wipe it clean".

And I'm not talking about locking it so no one can remove it. I want other players to be able to remove my varnished objects. I can already place it normally to protect it fully.

This is something that I have seen a need for as well.  I just started decorating my house and I was doing the same thing.  It was late last night when I put down the bear rug and then I went to bed so i'm not sure if after 2 minutes the "stuff" you place locks down like the walls or floors do.  It would still be nice to have a "remove decorations" button in your structures.  I have seen some of your builds and they are "heavy" on the décor.  I can just see me moving around and randomly picking up stuff by accident.

That's a great idea!  Also guys if you like someones idea make sure to upvote them so the devs see how many like it. it is the upvote right before the posters title for the thread, not the persons comment.

Edited by Dustin Michael

I get frustrated at this too!

Another thing I have problems with is with the seed boxes and the other new containers and even the sleeping mats. Usually I would want to just quickly access their inventory, or lay down and sleep, but instead have to go through the process of hitting the E button and then choosing the correct option. Can be a bit slow and tedious and then I always have the problem of accidentally picking the containers or mats up with right click when I go to access them as I would with chests. I feel like this should be reversed so that you have to go through the new radial menu to pick the item up. If I’ve placed my container or mat on the ground I am probably going to want to use it/enter its inventory and am unlikely to want to pick it straight back up again.

Edited by handofthesly