Sign in to follow this  
-ghost-tf

RESOLVED Picking up/dropping items

Question

Hi,

Are there any plans to improve the current system of picking up and dropping items?

At the moment its pretty annoying to manually pick up each individual item off the ground, Im talking about items that drop in large amounts like clay, stone, iron, sand and dirt (especially dirt). After a couple minutes of digging there is loads of *insert itemname*  lying all over the place, usually half of the items are floating in the sky because you dug the ground they were lying on away. It is then very difficult to find the right angle to pick up the floating items. Maybe some magnetic system that lets you pick up items after you walk over them like some other games have?

After doing alot of digging work (for example in my case a trench) you have lots of dirt lying all over the place and as far as I know the only way to get rid of them is to pick them up, and the iventory lets you stack dirt up to 999 in one stack. So when your iventory is full and you want to get rid of useless items like dirt (havent found a use for dirt yet) you have to drop them all 1 at a time, in my case that is 3 stacks of 999 and 1 stack of 300 xD, so my question now is there a faster way to do this? 

After dropping 300 dirt on the same spot (to free iventory space) I found myself stuck between the items, unable to move in any direction, eventually I managed to free myself after digging a tunnel downwards to china :) 

KDcjBgH.png

BVLaqnS.png

Just my 2 cents, Thanks for reading :) 

9 replies to this bug / suggestion

Hi,

thanks a lot for the feedback. We agree that it indeed is annoying - this is caused mostly by one bug but obviously some existing features need to be improved as well. 

-ghost-tf : items that are created by actions like digging should be added into the inventory automatically even now - is it possible that the pieces of dirt we see in the scene were created there instead of inside the inventory because your inventory was already full? Otherwise it would be a bug...

This is what will be fixed/changed in the next update (which will be released in about two weeks) 

* if, for any reason, the items can't be placed inside the inventory, they will be created in the scene in stacks (if there is a stack of that item type nearby, the newly created item will be added to it instead of placing it next to you) - this feature has already been implemented but some bug prevents it from being executed

* you will be able to destroy even items like dirt that you have in your inventory by going into the item detail view - where now you see the Break button (which is greyed out for basic "essences" like dirt), for this type of items you will see Destroy

* for every action you do with items you will be able to hold Shift, which will open a window allowing you to easily select how many items out of the stack you want to perform the action with

Thanks again for helping us with the development!

Ales

Have to Agree the current item pick-up system is a little frustrating and when working on large projects like yours above is a great example of it. Maybe something like in '7 Days to Die' were you can hold a key down and it'll pull in a small radius around you what it can into your inventory.

-ghost-tf : items that are created by actions like digging should be added into the inventory automatically even now - is it possible that the pieces of dirt we see in the scene were created there instead of inside the inventory because your inventory was already full? Otherwise it would be a bug...

Flattening terrain with a shovel does indeed add dirt to the iventory automaticly now, was this added in the recent update 0.03? Because all the dirt in the scene was from about 2 weeks ago, created by flattening terrain with a shovel (and I did have free iventory space, but still had to manually pick up all the dirt).

This is what will be fixed/changed in the next update (which will be released in about two weeks) 

* if, for any reason, the items can't be placed inside the inventory, they will be created in the scene in stacks (if there is a stack of that item type nearby, the newly created item will be added to it instead of placing it next to you) - this feature has already been implemented but some bug prevents it from being executed

* you will be able to destroy even items like dirt that you have in your inventory by going into the item detail view - where now you see the Break button (which is greyed out for basic "essences" like dirt), for this type of items you will see Destroy

* for every action you do with items you will be able to hold Shift, which will open a window allowing you to easily select how many items out of the stack you want to perform the action with

Thanks again for helping us with the development!

Thanks, this will improve things alot :) 

Edited by -ghost-tf

This should be improved as of yesterday's update :)

Another related thing. Dunno if it's just me, but sometimes I have to double click right button to pick up item. Game is kinda laggy for me, but still, I should be able to pick up things instantly. Are you doing any input inside FixedUpdate()? Fell into that hole myself. The thing is that FixedUpdate is executed only once each frame, which means that if framerate is low it may not pick up when you press a key. You should use Update(), instead which is called as fast as it can be. If there's input-dependent code in FixedUpdate(), I'd suggest polling for input inside Update(), setting private bool and checking if that bool is true inside FixedUpdate, instead of polling input system.

Hi,

our solution should  be able to register input events even at low fps. Just to make sure though - can you tell us (approximately ) what your fps is when you feel some of the input events are ignored? Thanks!