Froggy5

How to find ylands (guide/tut.)

First off hello ^.^

This guide/tut. will be about how to find/how to know where to find neighbouring ylands.

TLDR: The birds that fly really really high up are not actually birds. all they do is fly from 1 yland to another and back again FOREVER! So just follow them to find ylands really easy.

So you've got your ship, map and all your gear and you're ready to set sail to explore the other ylands. In hopes for treasure perhaps, or maybe you just want new plants to look at and take back home with you, whatever you're plan is there's 1 problem, you can't seem to see any ylands on the horizon so how do you know where to go? most people would simply think "oh i'll just sail in 1 direction until i find land that'll surely work". well you may be right that "could" work but there is a much more reliable way to find ylands, and its really easy too.

First off. Look up! and around a little chances are you will spot high flying birds. (standing on a mountain peak might help too) now these birds are different from the other ones you might spot like seagulls or vultures. these birds are really really high up and they seem to only ever flying in a straight line. once you spot 1 or more of these you might notice if you follow it with your eyes once it gets to the centre point of your yland it immediately makes a 180 and flys away. but what you might not have known (unless you watched it for a while) is it will make an immediate 180 again once it has reached the centre point of a neighbouring yland, and fly right back again (it will do this for ever so you don't have to keep watching it)

alright cool we found our guidance bird now for the next step. Follow it!

. . .

Thats it. these birds will lead you directly to another yland and once you find a neighbouring yland repeat this process to find ylands that link to your newly found yland and so on.

Some ylands have multiple guidance birds flying in all sorts of directions (i call these hub ylands, as they can have up to 3 or 4 ylands close by)

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, My yland just have 1 neighbor yland. Maybe I should migrate myself to another yland hub.

On 12/18/2017 at 12:28 AM, bb cakes said:

I can never seem to see them. :(

I'm at work right now i will post some images (if i can work out where to host them) when i get home, on what they look like and a comparison to the vultures and seagulls.

does my head in watching players sail aimlessly without understanding how the birds path. lol ^.^

On 12/18/2017 at 3:21 PM, iPoohz said:

Unfortunately, My yland just have 1 neighbor yland. Maybe I should migrate myself to another yland hub.

yeah luck of the draw my starting yland has atleast 3 that i've noticed.

ive only sailed to the desert yland though because my main yland has almost every plant.

will be sailing off to see if i can find a cold biome for some conifers. (maybe just in time for Christmas haha)

If you think you are heading to no where. well This is the first time i've had this happen but you get a warning if you are going to Davy Jone's Locker....

Ylands_171219_204351.thumb.png.f6d806a33b366e56dd7acd5e93f1a1d7.png

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, OmegaParticl said:

I've underlined the birds. This is what you are looking for.

This is why its best to scout for birds BEFORE setting sail. as you can see these birds are going in various directions.

standing on top of my main yland's highest peak i immediately spotted a few. attached here is the birds i saw: as well as a screen shot of the map.

i coloured (yes it has a "u" because i'm Aussie :P) the circles so i could explain what is happening.

ORANGE: The bird that links my yland to the other.

YELLOW: The bird that links this yland to the other located almost directly north

GREEN/PURPLE: Birds that link it to currently un-discovered ylands. (i would have to go to the SE yland to work out their direct locations ^.^

so by simple observing these birds before setting sail i am able to determine which bird to follow (ORANGE) as the other 3 would force me to change direction and lead me to ylands that are farther away.

i hope this explains what i'm trying to say ^.^

EDIT: Just noticed you cant actually see the yellow or purple (i swear they were there when i took the shot/edited it ^.^)

birds.png

Ylands_171220_195432.png

Edited by Froggy5
Removed Quote image to shorten post ^.^

6 hours ago, OmegaParticl said:

If you think you are heading to no where. well This is the first time i've had this happen but you get a warning if you are going to Davy Jone's Locker....

Nice find. i've never found this notice as i always follow direct routes ^.^

Thought i would add this which shows 2 birds meeting at my yland's center before banking 180 and returning their flight (this peak is the centre point of my ylandYlands_171220_204019.thumb.png.8983b05a0627ccc1da6d8da7ef16f0c4.png

Edited by Froggy5

The notification is something they added in the last update. Very useful for new players until you learn the secret of the birds as mentioned above.

I don't know if it helps but I have found more islands just looking at the colour of the ocean on the map than actually following birds, there appears to be shallows between islands so by following the gradients you can often just sail right to the next one! Early on I sailed across a LOT of deep blue and then turned around and went home thinking I was getting nowhere but the map showed some shallow water right where I'd turned - I had missed the island by a whisker!

So Birds for definite but also keep an eye on that map ;)

21 hours ago, Gracekain said:

Nice vid Gracekain. pretty much covers what i was saying. but also a good thing for people to note (like in my previous post) not all birds you see are flying to your current yland. the birds you mention that are phasing in, in the distance are what i talked about in my previous post with the coloured circles.

@ around 1:05 you see a seagull a low altitude. this is a great shot to show which birds you should follow.

Thanks again for the input ^.^

side note i'm not 100% you can even kill the navigational birds (i tried on an old patch but haven't in the current version.) they also changed how the birds turn around, now they seem to bank and turn 180 before returning but in an older version they use to just instantly spin 180 on the spot.