Quimerse

Ship Health Points are way too low, and cannons need tweaking

Question

Ship hulls are pretty weak, i know, they are "relatively cheap" to build, but they can have pretty high amount of built stuff and cargo on them.
The cannons do really high amount of damage on single blocks, but it lacks any kind of aoe, which should be tweaked a bit. A 1x1x1 plank block wall is more durable, than a wooden beam wall,  even if the beams are actually more costy to build, and they are the same materials, etc.
It needs 2 cannon shots to sink a ship, which is pretty fast, if you spot a ship on the horizon, you sink it as fast, that you can't even get close to each other. The seawaves also don't affect the aiming that much that it would make it risky to shoot from far away risking the extra wasted ammo. 
This removes any kind of tactics in naval combat, there are no boarding, no way to kill a crew, then overtake their ship, etc. You can't even siege a port properly, since ships are easily sniped down from a cannon tower before they can do anything.
It would be more fun to have a high health ship body, and involve some kind of "skillplay"... aiming for cannons in closer range, to reduce its dps, or aim onboard crew to prepare an overtake, destroy masts to hinder movement, etc. Widening the time window by raising ship hull hp, would open up opportunity to have some "tactics" in the combat, rather than two shot sniping.
Also, if i remember correctly, you can't destroy a ship's mast. Hindering the enemies movement for boarding would be a fun addition.

Edited by Quimerse

4 replies to this bug / suggestion

I see a lot of post saying the ship is too weak but in my 100 or so hours of play I never even seen a crack on my ship. is this because of some kind of pvp stuff damaging your ship? How would I even go about damaging a ship under normal use? 

It's about you can sink a ship with two cannon shots in multiplayer, from miles away. Which takes like 3 second.
Naval combat is way too fast and limited to sniping with a cannon from distance, to two shot anybody.
It wastes a lot of fun opportunity for boarding, sniping down cannons for disarming, etc. Approaching somebody with that intentions, would just end up sinking yourself due to dieing in two shots.

Edited by Quimerse

35 minutes ago, Quimerse said:

It's about you can sink a ship with two cannon shots in multiplayer, from miles away. Which takes like 3 second.
Naval combat is way too fast and limited to sniping with a cannon from distance, to two shot anybody.
It wastes a lot of fun opportunity for boarding, sniping down cannons for disarming, etc. Approaching somebody with that intentions, would just end up sinking yourself due to dieing in two shots.

Can't you just armor the ship? 

@Jacob Ellinger I could, but it makes ship even more costier and time consuming to build. I mean, building a ship for days with plating, just to have a 5-10 minute fight where i have 50% chance to lose it, makes it kind of overpriced. Maybe there could be some prefabs, like the ship hull front, and back for plating.