Daniel Lohne

Buying or hosting a dedicated private server? & 2 more questions

Me and my 3 friends want to play on a private server that is always online.

Is it possible to rent/host a passworded dedicated server that doesn't require that whoever hosts the server has to be online in order for it to work? How?

Also, is it possible to recycle or delete items? They create lag after a while.

Any fix for the invisibility bug where you need to relog in order to see the Things/trees you just placed or chopped Down, and buildings you just built? We need to relog quite often to fix it.

I don't think dedicated servers are currently in a usable state, if at all.. This, as well as the bugs you mentioned, are being worked on by the devs as we speak, from what i've read... :) 

Not sure what the plans are for clean up of items though. I generally tidy up after myself when harvesting to reduce any performance issues caused by litter.

Apparently the dedicated server software isn't working since steam release.   

We got past this by setting up a new steam account,  buying another copy of the game and running it on a spare PC.  we use this account to host the game and leave it running 24/7.  The host character dies from starvation but this doesn't matter as its just for hosting the game.  This way anyone can log in whenever they want.

Not the best solution but it works for now

14 minutes ago, lmcvann said:

Apparently the dedicated server software isn't working since steam release.   

We got past this by setting up a new steam account,  buying another copy of the game and running it on a spare PC.  we use this account to host the game and leave it running 24/7.  The host character dies from starvation but this doesn't matter as its just for hosting the game.  This way anyone can log in whenever they want.

Not the best solution but it works for now

Not a bad idea at all.... *starts rebuilding his spare computer*

How do you find building ships etc when joining the game? Does it still bug out (invisible objects etc)?

Edited by -Shojiki-

The ships can be an issue, all land building seems fine.  we do get a few strange bugs,  one i have right now is that i starve to death when i log out but the others dont so unsure why that is.  we managed a good stretch with the ships working well so got most of the main one built during that time

find it best to reboot the main host a few times a day too to clear the memory but as the host is dead and at spawn spot it seems to run quite well

hope they hurry with the dedi server software  i think its the most important thing they can put out there to keep the initial interest of the game high

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lmcvann said:

The ships can be an issue, all land building seems fine.  we do get a few strange bugs,  one i have right now is that i starve to death when i log out but the others dont so unsure why that is.  we managed a good stretch with the ships working well so got most of the main one built during that time

find it best to reboot the main host a few times a day too to clear the memory but as the host is dead and at spawn spot it seems to run quite well

hope they hurry with the dedi server software  i think its the most important thing they can put out there to keep the initial interest of the game high

Your character stays online when you log out, so unless the server shuts down you ll die of starvation. It works like Rust if you know that game, except there your food dont tick Down in Rust when you are offline.

Edited by Daniel Lohne

Dedicated server renting cannot be a thing atm since maps corrupt after about 50 hours of playtime (all user data combined). The host would need to reset the servers often. 

Just saw in the update they have the dedicated server software working again with steam so ill try and give it a go

17 hours ago, Daniel Lohne said:

Your character stays online when you log out, so unless the server shuts down you ll die of starvation. It works like Rust if you know that game, except there your food dont tick Down in Rust when you are offline.

Where did you learn this? Seems a bit of a strange design decision if true... Specifically the starvation part i mean..

Edited by -Shojiki-
Specifics

12 hours ago, lmcvann said:

Just saw in the update they have the dedicated server software working again with steam so ill try and give it a go

What do you mean? We can create private dedicated servers, now? Or at least passworded servers that dont require the host to be online?