yumikaze

RESOLVED [YLD-8170] Lose Character and Item after logout

Question

hello can any dev help my problem? i lose all my item and i lose my current character after i logout.. when i try to login its required i must create new character and after i made a character i cant find any my item (i was logout in my home building) and in my new character i didnt get letter (usually get one after died)

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

• Upvote 5

65 replies to this bug / suggestion

I had the same problem as these guys over there. It happned to me twice. I was ignoring it and trying to retrieve my progress real quick. Then aftert death I quit the game to get some rest. After deciding to retrive items I can't respawn. Screen is black and I have Creator's Cube for some reason. Here's my save. 

WE1.rar

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Today I played for a while and I saved it. When I come back to start, It tells me to create a new Character (I dindn't die), so I didn't do it because I'm afraid to lose all my progress. 

My File is XEXE.zip

I was not inside the protective barrier because I was sailing.

I created as well a new game and saved it. I'm not able to load it. It gets stuck at 0% loading.

Happy new year

Edited by TitaLopes
adding file and new problem

Hi there, 

I have just had the same or a similar issue. I was playing on my first world and I had the (apparently) known issue where an item in the inventory glitches out of its slot and is no longer selectable, so I exited to the main menu and reloaded my save. The game required me to make a new character on loading which I thought was strange so I exited and tried again and got the same thing again. I went ahead and created a new character - when I loaded in I had no crafting progress, and my former character was nowhere to be found, with no gravestone or items where my body would have been had I died (beside my forge). I have searched in and around my house, on my boats and in the area surrounding those places. The sail and wheel I added to my new ship just moments before reloading the save are still there, so it seems the game saved correctly, at least in respect to physical items in the world. I managed to recover most of my crafting progress by unloading all of my chests into my inventory and then replacing the items into the chests, but it is disappointing to lose an entire inventory of items, including the only cotton/seeds remaining on my yland. Unfortunately there does not appear to be a way to recover these items either through spawing or reverting to an earlier savestate... I'm not even fully certain of what I had, except that it was a full or nearly full inventory. If there is some way to at least find out what my inventory contained at that time, so I know what I need to replace, it would be useful if someone could let me know. 

Thanks in advance for any progress resolving this issue, and for any help recovering inventory or at least letting me know what I lost (if that is something which is possible). 

Here is my Ylands save - FIRST_GO.zip

EDIT: in response to an earlier question, I have repaired my protective barrier but not placed or activated it (I can't understand its usefulness in single-player or even private multiplayer games). 

Edited by joelszabo
response to earlier question
  • Thanks 1

It happened to me again.  I've included the corrupted save game file (BWC006.YLANDSGAME) but this time I've also included the previous save game file that loads correctly (BWC006GOOD.YLANDSGAME).

ylandssavegame123117.zip

For everyone that's experiencing this, my work-around has been to keep copies of my save game files in a "back-up" folder.  I try to play for only an hour or two before saving/exiting so if this occurs, I haven't lost too much time/effort.  After I copy the save game file into my back-up folder, I immediately modify the file name by adding a sequential letter designator at the end.  This way I keep a running set of save game files that I can go back to.  Also, you can tell if this is going to happen by the size of the save game file.  For me, "good" files are approximately 17MB in size while the corrupted ones are only about 10MB.  If I need to revert to an earlier save, I delete the corrupted file from the YLANDS save game folder in the STEAM folder, then open the back-up folder, select the latest good file, change the name back to the original one by removing the letter designator, then copy it back to the YLANDS save game folder.

YLANDS developers - AWESOME game!  However, this issue needs to be priority number 1 for the fix list because it's intolerable!!!

Happy New Year!

• Upvote 1

Hi,

I had the same issue several times. Forced to create new character upon load for no reason - no tombstone - no loot remains.

Now, that I placed and activated the protective barrier, I can't even continue to build my base as it's "in someone elses protective area".

The other guy was my previous me, but obviously the game didn't notice my death either.

Pretty annoying not being able to continue progressing the own base!

Please find it and fix it fast. It's fatal in my opinion!

savedgame attached.

Thanks

ylandssavegame20171231.zip

I have run into an additional issue which may be related, but please advise whether I should make a new thread about it. 

On the same save mentioned above, I took my ship to a new Yland where I haven't been before. Pretty soon thereafter I encountered a bear and died. I got the "oh snap! you died" screen, and clicked 'create a new character' as usual. When I created a new character, instead of loading me in on that new Ylands spawn point, I got a black screen with only the hotbar UI and the hearts in the top right which were completely grayed out as if dead. The screen appeared frozen, although I could bring up the menu overlay (Settings/Codex/Exit to Menu etc). I tried creating a new character over and over again with the same result. I then loaded up the editor to see if there was some way to fix this, and was greeted with about 7 or 8 "new characters" at the original spawn on my original Yland. This leads me to believe that perhaps there is no spawn on the new Yland where I died and so the game is attempting to spawn me at the original spawn, but is failing to complete the re-spawn or something similar. I don't really know. I deleted all of those "new characters" and tried again but got the same result - black 'frozen' screen with hotbar and grey hearts. I'm not sure if this is a known issue or if there is a way to fix it in editor, but I find the editor difficult to use, and I cant see any way to easily find the Yland where I died, except slowly searching the ocean until I find the right one. And if I were to do this i'm not even sure what I'd be able to do when I found my ship and grave anyway... Unfortunately at this point it seems like that save is a lost cause after about 50 hours of playing in it. There is no way that I can find to get back into the save at all, let alone to find my ship and body as I would be able to if I spawned on that new Yland as normal. Its an endless 'create new character' loop. I really don't want to have to start over so soon...

I LOVE the game but this kind of thing is very disheartening. I hope that there is some way to make the save playable again, and that these types of game-breaking issues are solved swiftly in the New Year. 

Here is a copy of my save, after this second issue occurred: FIRST_GO.zip

and output_log.txt

and output_log_clean.txt

Thanks.

19 hours ago, joelszabo said:

I have run into an additional issue which may be related, but please advise whether I should make a new thread about it. 

On the same save mentioned above, I took my ship to a new Yland where I haven't been before. Pretty soon thereafter I encountered a bear and died. I got the "oh snap! you died" screen, and clicked 'create a new character' as usual. When I created a new character, instead of loading me in on that new Ylands spawn point, I got a black screen with only the hotbar UI and the hearts in the top right which were completely grayed out as if dead. The screen appeared frozen, although I could bring up the menu overlay (Settings/Codex/Exit to Menu etc). I tried creating a new character over and over again with the same result.

Yes, this apparently happens every time you die after creating a new character (once you lose your previous one), so the issues seem to be connected, no need to open a new thread. Thanks for the detailed info!

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2018 at 11:56 PM, Ane said:

Yes, this apparently happens every time you die after creating a new character (once you lose your previous one)

Okay good to know! I've cut my losses and started a new save and I am taking Butch1969's advice to back up saves periodically until a fix is found. Its unfortunate but I guess its the risk you take with Early Access. Thanks for your response and being active over the holiday season. Best wishes for the New Year :) 

• Thanks 1

Hello, it happens to me again ..... I have 150 hours of play on this save, I wish I could continue, until you can help us, I wish you a happy new year. (I made a post before this one)

Edited by Ranoul

I have decided ,reluctantly, to stop playing,due to the fact that nothing seems to save properly after I log out.

Inventory contents vanish.Base vanishes,nothing remains.It would be a good game were it not for the fact that hours of playing is not saved.

So far I have been lucky . maybe because i  log out ..take a  break,  i.e. have a  snack, refill coffee cup and avail my  kidneys of a " comfort stop " ... and  re log  .....  every hour...?:|

Unfortunately this happened to me again this evening. Slightly different this time though.

Opened game up this evening and went to continue game, image shows exactly where I was when I logged out the evening before. Game loads up as usual, with no 'new character' option, however, once loaded, I am not where I left off, but I am at a place where I was about half way through my gameplay the evening before, but even stranger, is that my ship has completely vanished, along with all my items that where on it. My inventory and my crafting are all as they were, just no ship? I took a backup of the save file and loaded the game again, image on load screen still shows the correctly as from the evening before, game loads up and I am still at the incorrect location and no ship! I spent about an hour flying around looking for it, using my map to try and retrace some of my travels, but the ship is gone :(

I have attached the relevant files below for you.

Please try and sort this out, there is definitely as issue with saving the game and I think if this starts happening to more people it could be a big issue, especially if 100's of hours have been spent on the game.

Thank you.

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

STU-LANDS_[04-01-18].zip

Sorry, should have mentioned that this was a completely new game that I started about a week ago, probably played maybe 50-60 hours on it. I did not have the protective barrier fixed so was not using it, and I did have the creator cube active.

Edited by Stubee
added additional info
  • Thanks 1

Same problem. No tombstone. No loot remains . I did not log out inside the protective barrier. 166 hours of gameplay on this save :(

SaveGames.rar

• Thanks 1

BTW... single player explore mode, no barrier (never even repaired it). Absolutely nothing interesting/different going on when I logged out.

Please let me/us know when you resolve this. It's gonna kill me, but I have to put this game aside till you let me know it's safe to invest again.

Hope to hear something good soon. Bye.

Happened to me yet again, though I've taken to the habit of putting my entire inventory into storage. I just grab stuff in my chests to restore the crafting recipes, I've actually left samples of processed materials just for that. 

Hopefully, this will be resolved in the 0.6.3 patch. It nasty.

Hello we are two guys playing multiplayer cooperative. We are also having this problem with both our characters. First the guest acccount had to switch character. We didnt really get it, because he hadnt placed his protective barrier,  and his map did never work correctly (It reseted itself after every login). So we just kept playing and checked were he was last, but didnt find any body (naturally). After a while we ended up on our first Island just at our original spawnpoint and there we found his old character (what a chock to find a third person in our two player World). But we killed him and took back the loot. Maybe this can help you figure something out because now I have also lost my character and I did Place my protective barrier and lock all my doors :)

We really love the game and Think you guys have the brightest future. But now we are, as others thinking of putting the game aside for a while. 

What do you Think of the chances of fixing this problem with my placed barrrier if we continue playing the same accounts. Because that I know the map roughly in my head and the recepies is quit easy to get, this problem isnt huge for us. But we are worried that we gonna have to restart later on to get the barrier to work correctly.

What do you Think?

Also what do u Think of the guest accounts map not working?

My savegame is attached thanks in advance and for all.

NANGIJALA.zip

Edited by trogen
Weird text autocorrection

Ok so now the save are broken ... none of us can move :(

Best of luck to fixing this.

This bug is now happening on every past save I have had and new game I start so have done some of my own testing and on 3 saves here are the results

4 hours played 7 saves no issues, then built my boat and the next save corrupted with this issue.

the next 2 test were from the same original save about 5 mins into a new character (this made sure that I had the same starting point for multiple tests) 

1 hour played total of 6 quit, save and continues with no issues, then I built my boat and the next save corrupted to have this issue

1 hour played 2 quit,  save and continue no issues, then I built my boat and the next save corrupted with this issue

Only time I am facing this corruption is after my Ship is built (large ship)

I then did a further test as on the original save above as I had also built the additional ship parts on the front and back and the helm then had issues placing the mast as it said out of range, and the placement grid was red not white.

All in all with the large ship built and after being able to place the front and back additional pieces and the wheel with no placement issues the save, quit and continue worked fine and I was able to continue playing, but as soon as I built and tried to place a mast, I had the same placement issues with the boat being unstable and the mast placement grid always showing red, I was forced to place the mast in free view mode but the next save was corrupted.

If this is of any help it seems to be something to do with the mast placement issues where the whole ship seems to rock under the weight of the mast trying to be placed.

This is a game breaking bug for me as I am at the stage in the game where every play through this is happening and I am unwilling to spend anymore time in Ylands until this is fixed, to ensure I don't burn myself out on the frrst 1 hour of gameplay over and over before being faced with this bug every time I build a ship.

• Like 2

Also happened to me this afternoon :(

EXPLORE(1).rar

Is there still hope, After cancelling out of the Create Character screen, My Character is stood on an island? My guy is still alive?! :o

Edited by tt22
adding details

My girlfriend has that same issue too. We where on a server hosted by me, and we all disconnected inside of a cabin together. Me and my other 2 friends rejoined just fine, but my girlfriend was not sitting on the floor where she was. When she joined she had to make a new character and spawned on a different island. We looked for her stuff but found nothing, not even a gravestone. We even dug all around the cabin and looked on top of it. On the other island away from us. My girlfriend died from a bear and made a new character. However this time she did not spawn, commands did nothing, she was just frozen there. She went as far as restarting her PC but every time she rejoined it just showed her stuff on the ground and when making a new character would just freeze.

We believe we managed to fix this issue (at least one cause). It's currently being tested and we hope it will make it into the 0.6.3 update. Thanks for your patience!

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Ane said:

We believe we managed to fix this issue (at least one cause). It's currently being tested and we hope it will make it into the 0.6.3 update. Thanks for your patience!

That's great news, thanks,

One quick question, will this fix the saves that it has already happened on or will it take a fresh game start?

Second save corrupted. No tombstone. No loot remains . I was inside the barrier when logout.  My car is under texture. Cant switch on/of my barrier generator. Dont have a power to start again  :(

output_log.txt

DxDiag.txt

SESTY_POKUS.rar

Thank you for fix soon I hope :)