Sign in to follow this  
blfonsworth

KNOWN ISSUE Steam Engine and Helm placement post Dec 19 patch

Question

Last night after the patch I started working on a new Large Ship. I got to where I wanted to put a steam engine and the helm down and it's just not liking it at all.

When I try and place the helm, the boat acts like I just dropped several tons on top of it, it pushes the boat down, waaay down. It doesn't flip out or spin or anything, it just sinks way down like a heavy weight was just put on it. Once it settles, the helm stays red and if you try and place it down it gives you the error that it's too far away.

When trying to place the steam engine it doesn't cause any motion glitches with the ship's hull but instead it says 'there's not enough room'. I tried putting it in the engine room I built which has plenty of clearance (several block spaces) around it and above it.

3 replies to this bug / suggestion

I had the same problem post Dec 19 patch but I have a [small/regular size] "ship" base and was unable to place anything on it.  I tried the small/regular mast, helm, aft, and fore.  The fore really pushes the ship down! 

The boat will float again eventually or I can change the position of the anchor to make it float immediately.

Ship objects were always failing with red placement blocks no matter where or how I tried to place.  It was giving me "not enough room" errors while the ship was above water.

First person or third didn't make any difference - same results.

The thing that ended up working for me was to place a single log on the ship.  Then I removed it (not sure that this part mattered) and everything else was suddenly place-able.

Screenshots of the issue are in steam profile named "PeculiarPickle"

output_log.txt

placing a log and picking it back up worked. I had been building on the ship with beam and small blocks, not logs.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, blfonsworth said:

placing a log and picking it back up worked. I had been building on the ship with beam and small blocks, not logs.

this fixed it for me as well but it is still a bug that was not there before. however the devs did fix the first person view pushing the boat around...though created a new bug in the process. imo it's a less annoying bug so i call it a improvement.