Ane

0.3: Wonderful Writing (21/04/2017)

CHANGELOG

Wonderful Writing - 21/04/2017

THE_LINE.png

HIGHLIGHTS

• Sleeping - Players are now able to sleep (until now only the sleeping animation was played) in both beds and sleeping pads/bags. After you think you've had enough sleep you can wake up, and in the meantime your wounds will be healed. Take into account that in order to be able to sleep you need to be on a flat surface and not surrounded by predators
  • Writing and reading - The decorative books in the game are now filled with content and you can also write your own short notes (as long as you have something to write with in your inventory). To make your texts more interesting, you can make use of some rich text tags
  • Added first iteration of the new Main menu (some parts are still work in progress)
  • Originally, with the exception of weapons, all the objects dealt the same amount of damage when being held by the attacking player. Now the damage differs based on the essence of the item (so attacking with grass in hand does damage close to none etc.)
  • Changed version numbering to give players a better idea of how far we're from 1.0 - this one is 0.3, the next one will be 0.4 etc. We are still counting the updates though, this one being update 23

THE_LINE.png

NEW FEATURES

• Tutorial yland no longer starts automatically after the game has been started for the very first time
  • Codex hints alerts are now shown on all ylands, not just the tutorial one
  • Repositioned HUD GUI elements based on feedback 
  • When clicking a mouse button, it takes shorter time (it has been increased from 0.2s to 0.35s) for it to take action
  • Now fog appears in the evening, during the night and in the early morning (how much and how often depends on the biome in question)
  • Forage has been removed from the game, being replaced by grass
  • Adjusted number of maximum stacks for various objects
  • Rocks added to all regions
  • Modified savanna colors
  • The amount of horses and magic bushes was lowered on all types of islands
  • Player's character now starts slightly hungry
  • Player's character gets hungry faster
  • Players now lose HP much slower in cold/hot areas
  • Removed cooking pot from the game (last remaining workstation upgrade). Players' workstations with cooking pot installed will disappear
  • Removed Polar explorer role from Explore scenario 
  • While in placing mode you can interact only with not hardened objects (based on feedback from players interacting with objects in the world while trying to place something)
  • You can interact with a pile of ash after a burnt out campfire again (take out food, use wood to build fire again)
  • All containers have now written "CONTAINER" in the description for easier visual identification
  • Trees now drop logs in a visually more appealing manner
  • Trees now drop more logs, proportionate to their size
  • New swimming and mounted horse animations
  • Character jump animation redone
  • Character idle animations polished
  • Refined swim and raft animations
  • Player can't feed horse again when the feeding animation from the previous action is still playing
  • Reduced horse name length to 75 from 150. The game will ask again for a name if the user clicks Cancel in the screen asking them, whether the submitted name is correct
  • New ambient sounds added
  • New player footsteps sounds added
  • Unstuck command now also resets character's velocity
  • Improved LOD system of building blocks (they should LOD more consistently). LODed objects will no longer stay in semitransparent "dithered" state
  • Game configuration saving and loading is now more robust
  • Removed some of the obsolete/not used actions from advanced game options panel
  • Players can now exit the Main menu via ESC
  • Players can now name their ylands in any type of game they start
  • Now all MP games are visible in the list and players are asked for a password (if the game is locked) after they try to join
  • [Editor] Added 3D game logic objects (you can see them by default in the character mode)
  • [Editor] Added "Heal" action to "Perform action with entity"
  • [Editor] Added "Spawn entity" action 
  • [Editor] Ships can be anchored

THE_LINE.png

NEW ASSETS

• Pencil
  • Quill and Ink
  • Blank paper sheet
  • Blank leather sheet
  • Books (17) 
  • Candelabrum
  • Baroque stone blocks (17)
  • Baroque wooden blocks (2)
  • Sleeping pad
  • Bamboo sleeping pad
  • Grass sleeping pad
  • Sleeping bag
  • Small rocks (3)
  • Medium rocks (3)
  • Busts (8)
  • Medieval banners (5)
  • Medieval decorative shields (5)
  • Medieval signs (7)

THE_LINE.png

FIXES

• Players should no longer hit horse when trying to feed him
  • Fixed particle and sound when feeding horse
  • Improved player focus in 3rd person camera (it should be much easier to focus interactable entities)
  • Vastly shortened the freeze on subsequent openings of catalog/crafting/inventory panels. Catalog filtering is now asynchronous
  • Sitting/Lying will activate an empty hotbar entry (prevents unexpected interaction with item specific modes)
  • Character cannot switch hotbar slots while sitting/lying
  • Fixed character not always having the item in active hotbar slot in hand
  • You will equip to dynamic slot from detail view if you have full hotbar (it used to display just a warning)
  • Fixed particles from hotbar shown over the codex pages (hotbar now hides when Codex panel comes up)
  • Fixed catalog item staying in character's hand after losing catalog access
  • All UI panels (except for 'You Died') are closed when local character dies
  • Crafting panel: Recipe products descriptions are shown in hints. Ingredient hints use localized name instead of internal name
  • Several overflowing texts in panels (languages other than English) fixed
  • Trying to control a machine in water now displays a warning instead of simply doing nothing
  • Player can't shoot from the (invisible) firearm under the water anymore
  • Loaded crossbows are shown as drawn in world and when equipped (not yet in hotbar though)
  • Fixed several issues with ammo count for weapons sometimes not being refreshed correctly
  • Cannons and weapons are able to use ammo from Creator's Cube again
  • Camera no longer turns black when the view is obscured
  • Field of View value 55 won't bring third person camera into epileptic seizure anymore
  • Fixed the issue where the camera could be turned upside down under some circumstances
  • You are no longer able to rotate dead character in main menu
  • State effects no longer accumulate while character is dead
  • Rotation during mounted free fall is forbidden now
  • Multiple anchors on the ship are not allowed anymore
  • Mutated penguins now attack the player
  • Fixed horse being stuck in looping death animation
  • Fixed the issue when after dying on horseback and respawning the character couldn't' move
  • A rotating raft won't spin forever after leaving it anymore
  • When you die in control of a ship respawn window now pops up
  • Character step particles and sounds now play also when walking on entities (e.g. walkway paved by stone blocks)
  • When a load point is high above sea level, only 3 horizontal slices at sea level are loaded instead of the entire column block up to character elevation
  • Game is no longer started before all terrain/water tiles are generated around the player
  • Saves backup feature now properly leaves only 5 latest backups. This means the common situation, where it would not delete everything it should have and the backups folder would be gradually increasing its size after each update, should no longer be happening
  • Decals and fog are now properly rendered when controlling a machine (catapult/cannon)
  • Prewarming character panel GUI objects during initial Ylands scene load. That way, it does not freeze the game when opened for the first time during regular play
  • [Editor] Mouse wheel scrolling now works with game logic list
  • [Editor] Game logic name is now updated in GL list after it has been renamed
  • [Editor] Game logic selection is now synchronized with GL list on left panel
  • [Dedicated server] Fixed a bug introduced with the update 0.22, which was causing dedicated server failing to host games with character creation wizard
  • [Dedicated server] Server Monitor: Fixed some options and buttons not being disabled when they don't make sense
  • [Dedicated server] Server Monitor no longer fails to load scenario list if there are no saved games present
  • [Dedicated server] Server monitor can now be closed via X
  • [Dedicated server] Server Monitor: Fixed some buttons that were interactable at wrong moments, thus causing various acts of misbehaviour
  • [Multiplayer] Resolved an issue where loading overlay would never disappear after failing to connect to a MP session
  • [Multiplayer] Fixed most issues with catapults and cannons
  • [Multiplayer] Resolved an issue where the game would get stuck in Ylands loading screen after losing connection to host
  • [Multiplayer] Ylands host now binds its network socket to an arbitrary free port provided by system instead of a fixed port number
  • [Multiplayer] Introduced error handling for network startup failure
  • [Multiplayer] Clients now see explosives ignite particles and hear sounds
  • [Multiplayer] Fixed the issue with client failing to reconnect since he was still considered connected by the server

THE_LINE.png

COMING SOON

Coming Soon to your ylands… Stylish Sharing!

Upload, share, rate and download your and other ylanders' creations in the new Ylands Workshop! (or that's how we call it for now, the name might change at some point :P)

• Upvote 5

Very nice update, good fixes especially the LOD improvements are great on any fixed objects, however they don't work on ships yet for the equal blocks. I guess calculating for ships works different and is still WIP? :)

Thanks again for the nice work!

Adrie

This is fantastic. I have a question though, is MP enabled for Explore yet?

Please tell me, because my friend and I really want to play with each other and explore is my favorite mode.

Thanks

-Ricko

Edited by RickyPig10

3 hours ago, RickyPig10 said:

This is fantastic. I have a question though, is MP enabled for Explore yet?

Please tell me, because my friend and I really want to play with each other and explore is my favorite mode.

Thanks

-Ricko

It is! ;)

• Upvote 1

Hey, it's me again.

I have run into a slight problem... Ever since the new update, whenever I try to load or create a world, I it constantly stops at (ocean rising: 33.3% or 44.4%) and won't go any further.

Is there a way i can fix this, if so... PLZ HELP!!! 

PS. I REALLY LOVE this game & thx for reply earlier!

-Ricko

Edited by RickyPig10

I decided to wait and see if it would load, the message "GetThreadContext failed" appeared.

It asked me to send you a file by the name of 2017-04-23_110652?

How would I find and send that to you?

PLEASE help, I really want to play this game!

-Ricko

Hi Ricko,

I'm sorry to hear that you can't play the game! :(

Can you please attach your output_log.txt file (located at \Program Files\Ylands\Game\Ylands_Data) that you get after this happens again? We will take a look at it asap and will get back to you.

Thanks.

PS: the message you mentioned most likely generated by Windows - you don't have to worry about locating and sending that file anywhere.

• Upvote 1

On 22-4-2017 at 9:30 AM, Ane said:

It is! ;)

And is it automatically on MP mode, or people can join? just had a run in with Zuuluu on my, what i thought, single player explorer map.......  

Ylands_170423_075347.png

Edited by A3_Melle

12 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Hi Ricko,

Can you please attach your output_log.txt file (located at \Program Files\Ylands\Game\Ylands_Data) that you get after this happens again? We will take a look at it asap and will get back to you.

Thanks.

PS: the message you mentioned most likely generated by Windows - you don't have to worry about locating and sending that file anywhere.

Thx Ales Ulm, I send the file as soon as I am able!?

21 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Hi Ricko,

Thanks.

Here, is this the right file?

PS. How would I get this file back once fixed?

\Program Files\Ylands\Game\Ylands_Data

output_log.txt

Edited by RickyPig10

Thanks for the log!

You won't need to put it back - hopefully we will be able to see what causes the freeze and fix it. After that a patch will be released - your game will download the fix as soon as it becomes available.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Thanks for the log!

You won't need to put it back - hopefully we will be able to see what causes the freeze and fix it. After that a patch will be released - your game will download the fix as soon as it becomes available.

Oh and, THAAAANKS!!!!

You guys are LIFESAVERS!!!

Ricky,

our programmer was able to reproduce the bug and it should be fixed by now. The update will be released probably later today or tomorrow but there's a workaround that should let you play the game even before you game gets updated.

Enter Settings panel in the Main Menu and set the Level Detail to Medium. Start the game and only after it has been started return it to Low. It seems that having Level Detail set to Low when starting the game caused some issues. Let us know if this helped.

Update: 26/04/2017

Version: 0.3.32375

• Fixed the issue where the game couldn't be started with Detail Level set to minimum
  • Fixed the issue where character could no longer be controlled after they fell to the ground (after being thrown off a horse etc.)
  • Fixed the issue where opening a map could freeze the game
  • Fixed the issue where moving too far from the host character in MP game could result in flora not loading
  • Fixed the issue where horse couldn't be called at times
  • Fixed the issue where not all of the new objects appeared under "Trending" Catalog category
  • Fixed the issue where some trees yielded incorrect number of logs
  • Fixed the issue where papers acquired by dismantling books could have been stacked (which was not intentional)
  • Fixed the issue where lit workstations disappeared on ships

Update: 02/05/2017

Version: 0.3.32588

• Fixed the issue where only half of the character is visible when you change the default first person camera to third person camera.

Update: 04/05/2017

Version: 0.3.32637

• Fixed the issue where players were unable to load saves made with a character left sitting on a chair/lying in a bed placed on a ship's deck.
  • Fixed the issue where players could get hurt when standing up from a chair.
  • Fixed the issue where minor errors in loading corrupted energy network data from a saved game would reset the entire world.
  • Upvote 2