Question

Request:  Consider revamping ore generation algorithms to allow the following:

1) Generation of ores in and around cave systems. and less occurrence of surface ores (approx 20-40% less than currently observed).

• Encourages more cave exploration - more risk/reward
  • Smaller surface veins of ores - larger veins underground!
  • Small samples of ores on ground (more than just flint - allow for occasional iron/copper/gold ores - perhaps near (above) seams generated underneath the surface to hint miners where to mine).

2) More concentrations of minerals in certain areas:

• flint near hills/mountains
  • clay near water
  • gold/copper/iron underground and around/in mountains and hills
  • shape deposits in characteristic ways to be unique to each mineral/ore (coal in horizontal seams, gold in vertical, flint in round patches, etc.)

3) More Ylandium deposits!  I've yet to find one crystal in two maps!

• need more mutated creatures or more dust drops from each one slain.
  • crystals need to spawn at higher levels than currently seen (by others - not me).
  • higher dust yields from processing crystals.

4) World Generation Options: Allow for specific concentrations of Iron/Copper/Quartz/Ylandium at world creation.

Edited by Ethan Gordon Wilson
  • Upvote 3

8 replies to this bug / suggestion

On 12/22/2017 at 5:21 AM, Ethan Gordon Wilson said:

Request:  Consider revamping ore generation algorithms to allow the following:

1) Generation of ores in and around cave systems. and less occurrence of surface ores (approx 20-40% less than currently observed).

• Encourages more cave exploration - more risk/reward
  • Smaller surface veins of ores - larger veins underground!
  • Small samples of ores on ground (more than just flint - allow for occasional iron/copper/gold ores - perhaps near (above) seams generated underneath the surface to hint miners where to mine).

3) More concentrations of minerals in certain areas:

• flint near hills/mountains
  • clay near water
  • gold/copper/iron underground and around/in mountains and hills
  • shape deposits in characteristic ways to be unique to each mineral/ore (coal in horizontal seams, gold in vertical, flint in round patches, etc.)

4) More Ylandium deposits!  I've yet to find one crystal in two maps!

• need more mutated creatures or more dust drops from each one slain.
  • crystals need to spawn at higher levels than currently seen (by others - not me).
  • higher dust yields from processing crystals.

so about the mutated animals if you leave two alive wont they have babys, you could kinda farm them right? maybe set up some kinda trap/box them in to breed and harvest?

and yea i agree i would like to see surface ore a lot less probably 50% less, maybe that is for a hardcore mode? 

Edited by Designated Drinker
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm going to have to agree here... I am a pretty hardcore survival / exploration player and I don't like "cheating" but I've had to spawn in ylandium crystals in my game because the caves I have are 1-2 max critters with the occasional 4-5... I have found only 1 cave with crystals and once you get the copter pack caving becomes a piece of cake... It would be nice to have "regrowth" and multiplication of "critters" in caves... respawns and such, I'm sure, are a pain to figure out... but just as you fixed the flying shark problem and the bunny infestation I'm sure you could come up with something for the corrupted critters...

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Designated Drinker said:

finding a balance is key, need to keep they rare/hard to find, i guess the game needs ylandium ore possible at a very  low depth in the earth and very tiny veins, i would like to see the other veins in this game reduced by 50% in size, i mean i found some copper i dug it all out and i had over 1,000 copper from one vain, so now i don't need to find another one, even with more players this yland i found has like 10 copper veins and they are massive has to be over 10,000 copper on this single yland, seems way to much  

Yes, balance is key, though where is there balance in a map where there's one player, versus a map that hosts over a dozen, and Ylandium is scarce all around?  Veins seem large, if you're playing SP, but in an MP environment that vein may barely support the demand of the player population.

Some maps seem to generate a lot of Ylandium (one writer mentioned having plenty of Ylandium ore to spare after making all the ylandium items) where another mentioned a whole map and only 12 or so dust in total.

Cavern generation could be worked on some, I think, though I've only played in 3 different maps to-date, so haven't seen the min/max of cavern depths just yet.  I observed one massive cavern system with a few Ylandium crystals, but still a lot more depth available below that cavern system for more caves could have been generated (I used the face-in-wall-McCheaty-vision to glean this).

Perhaps there could be an Ore Generation section inside the world generation options at the start of a new map.  Allowing the player to select the ore concentrations for each ore, or at least one slider for overall ore richness across the whole map.

Thanks for sharing. ;2)

On 12/29/2017 at 7:51 PM, Designated Drinker said:

i think the copper on this one yland i have found is enough for 20 people

Even if there was enough for 200 people to begin with, that doesn't help new players as long as the first few can hoard it all.

Ore and other resources need to regenerate somehow.

• Upvote 1

I agree with more challenge to obtaining Ore, and more ore deposits in general.

There either needs to be a lot more reliable sources of Ylandium Dust, or a way to make it renewably. Currently large parts of the late game are inaccessible to people who only found 2-3 mutated animals in caves on their Ylands.

• Thanks 1

finding a balance is key, need to keep them,rare/hard to find, i guess the game needs ylandium ore possible at a very  low depth in the earth and very tiny veins, i would like to see the other veins in this game reduced by 50% in size, i mean i found some copper i dug it all out and i had over 1,000 copper from one vain, so now i don't need to find another one, even with more players this yland i found has like 10 copper veins and they are massive has to be well over 10,000 copper on this single yland, seems way to much  

Edited by Designated Drinker
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ethan Gordon Wilson said:

Yes, balance is key, though where is there balance in a map where there's one player, versus a map that hosts over a dozen, and Ylandium is scarce all around?  Veins seem large, if you're playing SP, but in an MP environment that vein may barely support the demand of the player population.

Some maps seem to generate a lot of Ylandium (one writer mentioned having plenty of Ylandium ore to spare after making all the ylandium items) where another mentioned a whole map and only 12 or so dust in total.

Cavern generation could be worked on some, I think, though I've only played in 3 different maps to-date, so haven't seen the min/max of cavern depths just yet.  I observed one massive cavern system with a few Ylandium crystals, but still a lot more depth available below that cavern system for more caves could have been generated (I used the face-in-wall-McCheaty-vision to glean this).

Perhaps there could be an Ore Generation section inside the world generation options at the start of a new map.  Allowing the player to select the ore concentrations for each ore, or at least one slider for overall ore richness across the whole map.

Thanks for sharing. ;2)

i think the copper on this one yland i have found is enough for 20 people i am only guessing at 10k copper i will mine every drop and not use any to see the real number, what they could also do is have random items you find some old ylandium objects like broken lanterns that you could break down for dust, and make sure every item you can break down for some of the items resources back, to kinda recycle or a recycle workstation that you put objects in you no longer wont for some resources back, broken swords ect give resources, maybe there should be ylandium broken items in the generation also for dust, little things like this would make a difference, added with tiny veins of ylandium ore/crystal deposits that are not in a cave but just deep and random under ground. so when you actually strike ylandium ore/crystals you are like hell yea, instead of the oh there is some copper/iron/clay cool but i have tons.