Re-fund

Lag Lag and More Lag!

Am I the only one lagging like crazy on ylands? i'm 100% sure its not on my end because my computer can run more intense game than this with no lag. I thought it's because of multiplayer mode but even solo lags me. Has anyone tried hosting the dedicated server yet and is there lag?

I've hosted the dedicated server and connected to it from the same machine and It does get VERY laggy, sometimes crashing.

I'm running an i5-4690K quad core at 3.5GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 3GB, and 8GB of system RAM.

The dedicated server uses around 3GB and the client starts off around 2 and ends up about 4 after 15mins or so. This is usually when it starts to lag, freeze, and crash.

However I've never had lag issues playing offline or hosting a multiplayer session with multiple clients connected.

Here's some screenshots showing my system resource usage at different states. The first one is my system at idle, the second one is playing offline, the third one is running the dedicated server and connected to it from the same machine. Both instances are using the same savegame file. As you can see, running both the ds and client on the same machine is quite taxing on the CPU (as stated in the guide) but my RAM is also maxed in both instances so it's very likely that my RAM is insufficient, which makes sense since there's twice the data being loaded into RAM. The last image shows the memory usage of both after about 15mins of playing on my dedicated server.

IdleResourceUsage.jpg

OfflineResourceUsage.jpg

DS_ClientResourceUsage.jpg

MemUsage.jpg

I only play single player and it seems to lag more since the last update. I don't have the best computer so I will get maybe 30-50 FPS but drop to the 15 fps if there is a lot on the screen.

41 minutes ago, Dustin Michael said:

I only play single player and it seems to lag more since the last update. I don't have the best computer so I will get maybe 30-50 FPS but drop to the 15 fps if there is a lot on the screen.

Curious for some extra information if that's okay please?

Regarding single player:

Is your save game old or new?

Is your most commonly used area, cluttered, lots of debris or spawns / placed items?

Is your FPS dropping during certain instances or in certain locations only (in a cave, on a horse, on a boat, in your house or build area etc)?

Is your ship your home with a lot of placed objects on it?

If a brand new save game file, provides you a higher FPS average, some of the above may be the causes, as the game has optimisation to be done, it starts off pretty smooth generally, but there does seem to be some issues with loading / unloading memory - seemingly effecting the performance - akin to a memory leak. I think this will likely be ironed out in the optimisation phases.

Regarding multiplayer for those interested:

I'm sure as the development progresses forward, any noticeable network spikes or lag issues will be addressed and resolved. They have already made fairly large leaps and bounds to this regard, I'm sure it's up there on their priorities list!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, John - NEXFER said:

Curious for some extra information if that's okay please?

Regarding single player: 

Is your save game old or new? My map is a save from the first couple days of launch.

Is your most commonly used area, cluttered, lots of debris or spawns / placed items? I keep my island pretty tidy so there is no debris but I do have a lot of things built on my home island.

Is your FPS dropping during certain instances or in certain locations only (in a cave, on a horse, on a boat, in your house or build area etc)? Yes there are certain locations such as right when I go into a forest or islands are showing up from a distance and of course when I am moving around all my built stuff it is almost consistant maybe 20 frames. It is not unplayable by any means and I anticipated lag again. To be honest I really don't know if my computer is good or not so much. It is a Acer Predator 17 laptop with and I7 and a GTX 970M. They sell still for about $1,600 on newegg.com. It should be able to handle this game I would assume. 

Is your ship your home with a lot of placed objects on it? I really don't have much issues with my ship cause all I have on it is 5 sails and a couple chests.

If a brand new save game file, provides you a higher FPS average, some of the above may be the causes, as the game has optimisation to be done, it starts off pretty smooth generally, but there does seem to be some issues with loading / unloading memory - seemingly effecting the performance - akin to a memory leak. I think this will likely be ironed out in the optimisation phases.

Regarding multiplayer for those interested:

I'm sure as the development progresses forward, any noticeable network spikes or lag issues will be addressed and resolved. They have already made fairly large leaps and bounds to this regard, I'm sure it's up there on their priorities list!