Sphinx85937

Ship Questions and Help Request

Hello,

I am looking to build a particular type of ship in Ylands. I know you can build over/surround the in-game hulls to make your ship bigger, or look completely different.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to accomplish the bow and stern shapes for the picture included below. I would love to make this look like an old-fashioned steam yacht with a "luxury" interior.

I'm still a bit new to the game and not quite sure how people manage curves and other more complex building techniques.

Any help given is greatly appreciated. If I do somehow manage to pull this off I will gladly share it on the workshop.

Thanks in advance!!

Mistakes.jpeg

Try to find blueprints for this or a similar ship. They usually come with cut through views. If you make those "cuts", much like a skeleton, you can then connect them and make your hull :)

06471997d082e911ac31bd087decb8e2--model-

Here's an example of a blueprint with the lines/cuts on there! If you need any help please feel free to ask!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

Try to find blueprints for this or a similar ship. They usually come with cut through views. If you make those "cuts", much like a skeleton, you can then connect them and make your hull :)

06471997d082e911ac31bd087decb8e2--model-

Here's an example of a blueprint with the lines/cuts on there! If you need any help please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

The last thing I would like to know is how much of the extra construction needs to directly touch the hull to be "connected" so that the whole thing will sail?

26 minutes ago, Sphinx85937 said:

I would like to know is how much of the extra construction needs to directly touch the hull to be "connected" so that the whole thing will sail?

As long as you place it one by one directly (not by composition/ custom things outside of vehicle bound) because currently, if you place/make things outside vehicle bound then place it onto your ship, it will just float there(not moving with the ship).

Edited by Velocifer

Okay, so I see what you are saying with the vehicle bounds, but how is it possible to get something so much bigger than the hull of the ship if the bounds are as small as they are. (Thinking "Big Bertha" from the workshop). Do you have to build "up and out" to go past the bounds?

Edited by Sphinx85937

Did you know the trick to place something glitch through things? It simply just like that 

You can build up and out to a certain extent indeed. If you want to go beyond this boundary, you will have to use another trick, only available in the editor:

First set all rotational values to 0 (double click your ship and set all the rotations).

Then set the location XYZ to multiples of 0.375 (1 block is 0.375m, and dragging blocks will snap them to the world grid, so your ship grid should be aligned to the world grid.)

Next you place the blocks you want somewhere on the ship, and then with the drag tool you can drag them to where you want to place the block.

Using this technique you can clip blocks into each other, giving you more creative ways of building :)

11 hours ago, Sphinx85937 said:

So its best to build in the editor then, not with a creator cube? At least in this type of circumstance.

Definitely! Also when using the creator cube and the annihilator there is always a risk of accidentally deleting your entire ship (been there done that).

9 hours ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

annihilator there is always a risk of accidentally deleting your entire ship (been there done that).

Happened to me couple times, and at that moment, I'm @#&!ed up.. xD

Edited by Velocifer

Hi there, what do you call "creator cube", "annihilator" please ?

Also is the "drag" when you left click + v ?

I'm building a ship in the editor and I would like to extend a hull, so I have to go "inside" the hull with the blocks 'im using..

Any advices ? - btw I've already copy paste the ship I'm experiencing (in case of accident) !

Thank for your lights !

Creator cube and annihilator are items which you can use to play in creative mode. It's different from the editor.

By "drag" I mean using the drag tool in the editor. It's next to the select tool. To properly use the drag tool, set the ships position (double click ship and edit the location and rotation) to a multiple of 0.375 and the rotations to 0. Doing this you can go inside like you want :)

Feel free to ask more questions!

Hello, I have a little problem.
 I bought Ylands almost when it was released and since then I have changed my computer and have not played for several months.
 I'm trying to find out where I can get it back because on Steam or Bohemia, both of them ask me to pay back. Thank you for your help.

2 hours ago, clem77380 said:

Hello, I have a little problem.
 I bought Ylands almost when it was released and since then I have changed my computer and have not played for several months.
 I'm trying to find out where I can get it back because on Steam or Bohemia, both of them ask me to pay back. Thank you for your help.

I just sent you a PM.

Okay, I have been trying my darndest to get this to work. I've figured out a couple of the things, but I'm wondering if anyone who has already done this kind of thing has/knows of any kind of tutorial to help out?