Question

So ropes... right now they are used in crafting and as decorations... that's it... Ropes would be great to be used to tie things to other things... such as:

1. Tie the small boat or raft to your ship and drag it along on your trip
  2. Tie a rope around a tamed horse and pull him along with you as you explore the island on foot (I know you can call a horse but this would be more realistic)
  3. Tie up a horse near your base so he doesn't run off before you can build him a pen
  4. Use rope for repelling... (grappling hook) when caving without the propeller pack or flying potions
  5. Lazoo... why not... you could wrangle things and people... great for PvP
  6. Fuses for Gunpowder barrels... make a long fuse... light it and boom
  7. Roping a cave as marker.... when caving you tie the end of a rope to the entrance and follow it back to get out

I'm sure there are a lot more uses but that's a start... :P

• Upvote 5

2 replies to this bug / suggestion

Truly great ideas, though I wonder how much existing code supports rope physics and suspension mechanics.

It would be a great addition to the game, and please don't take this wrong, but it'll be a lot of coding (I think) just to add one feature.  Unless there's other good uses for suspension physics and such, I don't really see this getting a high priority unless we see a lot of upvotes.

Despite that, I upvoted.  Still would love to see this in-game. ;2)

On 12/27/2017 at 2:06 PM, Ethan Gordon Wilson said:

Truly great ideas, though I wonder how much existing code supports rope physics and suspension mechanics.

It would be a great addition to the game, and please don't take this wrong, but it'll be a lot of coding (I think) just to add one feature.  Unless there's other good uses for suspension physics and such, I don't really see this getting a high priority unless we see a lot of upvotes.

Despite that, I upvoted.  Still would love to see this in-game. ;2)

I agree completely... there are "more important things" that need to be fixed... it was a brainstorm as I was bored at work :P  The rope "idea" was primarily for the people asking to have the boat brought along on the ship... this would make it easier if you could just "link" the rope to the boat a la electrical connections... I'm sure it would be a pretty tough coding task but so far the devs have impressed me... here's to hoping!

• Thanks 1