Sign in to follow this  
ComR

IMPORTANT - I think I figured out Ylands gameplay crash bug!

Question

Hello there,

Well, I played Ylands for almost 200 hours, four long explore mode games and I experienced constant crashes everytime. Game was unplayable anymore and I had to start new game again and again. I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I listed everything I remember what was happening. Below is my list, PC specs and LOGs.

Before I start, I'd like to state few important things:

a) My system is AMD Phenom II x4 3.40 GHz, 8 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB VRAM. Windows 7 PRO with latest all latest updates. All drivers were reinstalled clean, I'm clearing everything from my memory before starting Ylands, including shutting down firewall, antiviruses, all residential soft and not needed services.

b) Radeon is set to performance - everything is turned off or Ylands decide what to do with video (and here I'd like to ask Ylands team once again for allowing people to turn off antialiasing and some other video options).
c) Ylands Video is set to mostly to MIDDLE. Low is just.. unplayable for me. Instead of changing resolution ( it's 2048x1152) I set scale to 40%. Radeon video settings set to max (except antialiasing) in fact is not changing my FPS at all. Also screen resolution seems not to change FPS much. Ylands Video Low or Ultra seems to change not much or nothing too. I can only see big difference in performance turning on or off dynamic weather and environment. FPS cup is set to 30. My usual FPS in most modern games on middle-high settings, GTA V for example, usually oscilates around 30 FPS, so it's not a problem for me.

This is some thoughts on Ylands gameplay on my system:

1) Game usually starts with around 40 FPS, no matter if settings are Low or Ultra. In small area, small island or map 30FPS is normal speed with "spikes" (around 10 frames less). On bigger maps however or during game I was playing for a few days usual framerate is around 20FPS with "spikes" freezing gameplay around one second. After another few days (let's say 5-6 ylands discovered, house, few shacks, small ship) FPS drops to constant 12... with spikes freezing my gameplay for up to 3-5 seconds!

2) All "constant" crashes (around one minute after downloading savegame) were happening always after around 12 hours of gameplay, when I explored most of the Ylands, collected most of needed resources, built most needed stuff (workbenches, stoves and so on), planted bigger fields, main big base, some houses and ship with lots of chests and masts (no bricks - below I will describe why).

3) I checked - my game do not crash during rainstorms.

4) Game crashes only on land - never happened during sailing, on desert bioms or artic ones.

And there is something I discovered so far and I'm sure there is a reason:

1) Crashes always looks the same - game starts at 40FPS, environment is slowly downloading around me layer by layer, during loading my FPS drops considerably to 9 FPS and even below. Spikes freeze me for longer and longer and it happens more often - at first it a second or so, then 3-4 second, then up to around 10 seconds and then few seconds of 9FPS gameplay and again the same thing, then game spikes again, but do not unfreeze anymore. In the background windows shows "Display driver stopped, but was properly restarted and it's working again" (it's loose translation, sorry) error. After hitting return key, Ylands shows whole white screen and error appears: "ylands.exe do not respond. Do you want to wait or exit?".

2) Game never crashes if I'm not moving at all. Even rotating or trying to go to sleep causes crashes. Moving moon animation is stuttering, freezeng more often and for longer every second, then game freeze and crash.

3a) I realised that game crashes ONLY wneh game have to download new environment and complicated structures at the same time. For example: I can play or edit my world as usual with "the crashing world", but only if I'm far away from, let's say, big, complicated ship very close to dense jungle or complicated ship and big base with giant house surrounded by gardens and lots of trees...........

3b) Game is occasionally crashing if I'm running fast in hilly terraing with dense flora. Why? Simply, because when I climb over the hill Ylands is loading whole panorama at once - sometimes I just have to wait to see first land, then layer by layer - trees. If by any chance wild animal appears this moment - game crashes even mor often.

3c) And one more very important example: When I'm sailing my overbuilt ship - everything is ok, FPS in constant and nice with rare spikes (I suppose caused by underwater structures, sharks and models). When I'm closing to my giant base game slows down, there is more spikes, but game still plays normally. When I'm docking near my big house, game slows considerably, but few second later it's normal again (around 20FPS). I can run to my house, fields, forrest nearby and back to my ship and everything is ok and normal. I can plant, cut trees, move stuff to and from my ship for hours - no problem. But... then I'm closing the game (BTW: return to main menu usually stops on saving screen with turning wheel... and nothing happens - I have to manually shut the ylands.exe down. That happens 50/50 I'd say). Next time, when I want to continue my game, models are loading and around 30-60 seconds later game crashes. Every time.

Well, in my opinion something is wrong during loading models/assets/scenes if you want to do it at once. If I could save my game further away from my ship and base and then load the game I could play it normally if... I just walk to my base slowly... I guess all my worlds would not crash at all if I could save my game in the woods...

BTW.Hitting F10 no longer saves the game - that's bad, because it was very usefull. And again - please, add "save game to another slot" option. I do not want to star a new world everytime my savegame crash or I'll make tragic mistake.

I hope this will help a bit...

With Regards, Bartosz

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

• Upvote 1

1 reply to this bug / suggestion

BTW. I realised that games from your workshop - for example "Pirate Lagoon" is working flawlessly - constant 25FPS with spikes (but rarely). Game do not crash even after long hours of play, exploring and building! Game spiked me at first let'ssay once a 3-4 hours for 3-4 minutes, but after exploring map - it's gone... Map is very big, there is hundreds of animals - but it's not a problem.

So, there is a big problem with Ylands explore mode. The only difference is: in explore mode I have ship, in Pirate Lagoon - I don't need it.

BTW.: I've read that Ylands works ONLY with DX 11.1... I do not want to move to Win 10 and I will not move (f... ms). I updated my Win 7 and DX as I could, but there is no much different. I'm still testing, but... I found somewhere that command: "ylands.exe -dx11" can make a difference - I did it. Also, I set everything to absolute LOW video settings. It looks bad, but... I want to see if Ylands Explore will eventually work...

All The Best and Happy New Year,

Bartosz