that is the easy part.

its even whiter than flint, and most of the time when i gathered some, the sun made my pick gleam at every swing i made.

edit: i searched long for sulfur.. its is a pale yellow, dont get fooled by that treacherous sandblobs, sand is more like a golden yellow.

Edited by Aethelis

I can't for the life of me find any saltpeter.

Found tons of sulphur and I'm up to 5 diamonds from mining.

Searched all shafts in the open mine on my first yland.

Started branching off those and all i seem to mine is dirt and sand when I'm a few blocks out from the shafts.

Any ideas guys?

Would mining from the surface down work. Should i start deep. Anything advice would be nice.

I'm aware its super bright white and can't be found on the surface anymore.

So that wasn't to my island's cave, i traveled and i found saltpeter to the 3rd yland.....and gold aswell. Everything is a good part of exploration

Ylands_170428_030831.png

• Upvote 1

I ran past my spawn island's only (?) sulphur deposit 50 times while scouring the deep caves for sulfur. I looked like a shadow, right next to entrance to my cave.

Every island seems to have different resources, I now have 20 chests on deck.

so i made my random map with editor the climate is tropical, does that mean i cant find any sulfur? are caves randomly generated on the editor maps? i am in a massive jungle currently, there is a kinda desert but no cactus, any idea if i can get sulfur?, i host online and need a locksmith table to lock my stuff up, people keep trying to rob my house, and i have spent 4 hours each day looking for sulfur everywhere on the surface and made a mine  

Edited by Designated Drinker
typos

The 1st Yland map I played had a cave but absolutely no sulfur. The next 3 there was no cave unless it was completely covered. Do I have to make my own map? Or is it more likely I will find sulfur on another island on the same map? Getting particularly annoying.

Edited by wereid
a

I’ve found five Ylands so far. I’ve got tons of sulfur. It’s scattered in many surface deposits on my desert islands. Now I’m off to new Ylands on a search for saltpeter, most difficult for me to find as of yet.

So far I think the balance of resources is very good. Just enough demand of particular resources to drive exploration to farther reaches. I didn’t have copper on my start island. Then I needed rubber.. Now to make bullets I’m short saltpeter.. I gotta do some more exploration.. ?

I tend to skip gun power all together as the weapons feel very week and a crossbow uses about as much shots as a rifle to kill.

Once I find sulphur my game is almost done and ylandium is all that needs searching for.

Sulphur is very common on the surface of Arid/Desert Ylands, but can also be found in some cave systems. My last mining attempt saw exactly 666 Sulphur Chunks being mined from a single vein on the surface. Reference to the devil much!

Saltpeter is a bit more elusive but I have found large veins of around 500 chunks starting in cave systems of Temperate/Taiga Ylands which extend almost all of the way back to the surface.

Edited by handofthesly

Saltpeter can be on any  Yland .. but i  have not yet seen any on polar  biomes.

Temperate regions  have lots of   iron coal some  copper...  and  often  small pockets  of  saltpeter that run deep into the ground ...sometimes linking to a hidden cave

Gold is   associated with caves... i have fond  some around a cave  entrance..  difficult to mine   in case i "fell in" and landed amidst the  beasties visible   way down  below.and  on another occasion saw a  tiny triangular gold spot on the surface   and it was on a  yland  where sandstone  would not be found.  Digging revealed a  vein of  gold that  yielded 700  units ..and i nearly   broke through into the roof of a huge  cavern ...  so dig  carefully   if its  found on the surface!

I once  found   sulphur  copper  saltpeter and  iron all within  2  spade lengths of each other ...  randomness can be   freaky!

On 1/23/2018 at 6:42 AM, GrandPunkRailroad said:

I’ve found five Ylands so far. I’ve got tons of sulfur. It’s scattered in many surface deposits on my desert islands. Now I’m off to new Ylands on a search for saltpeter, most difficult for me to find as of yet.

So far I think the balance of resources is very good. Just enough demand of particular resources to drive exploration to farther reaches. I didn’t have copper on my start island. Then I needed rubber.. Now to make bullets I’m short saltpeter.. I gotta do some more exploration.. ?

Be careful, the more you explore the longer your lag pauses will be.