Matthew Johns

Infinite Procedurally Generated Map Exploration (workaround)

Hi, I completely explored my first map and was a bit loathed to start from scratch, thankfully I had made a crude floating base.

I created a new game and loaded my old boat into it (saved as a composition in the editor from the old game and all containers got emptied in the process) and went off to merrily continue my explorations! I'm on the third map now, my boat is starting to look serious with YLandium engines and a large enough hull to have empty space even with everything one would need so I'm feeling pretty WIN at the moment :D

The best part is that as soon as I am done with this set of islands I can just move on to the next map with the imagined backstory of a massive hangover and no idea how long I've been laying on this unfamiliar beach he he.

• Like 1

Pics of the ship or it didn't happen :P

Challenge accepted!

She runs off wind power because I have spent all of YLandium on engines etc - next big score and I'll be all generators :D I was particularly pleased to find out that the charging station will in fact charge the engines FTW!

20180102175340_1.jpg

20180102175401_1.jpg

20180102175053_1.jpg

20180102175112_1.jpg

20180102175200_1.jpg

20180102175228_1.jpg

20180102175234_1.jpg

20180102175256_1.jpg

20180102175322_1.jpg

Edited by Matthew Johns
struggling to embed an Imgur album - sorry for the mega images folks.
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, See_Sharp said:

Neat boat dude !

All i got so far are 2 ugly unfinished houses :P

My first map was a mess, a tiny ghetto base and holes everywhere from learning the mining drill - this is like 30 explored islands in and pretty much all the Ylandium has gone into the boat, all I am missing is an alchemy table (they don't work on boats but the Devs are working on it!))

My only regret is that planted seeds don't attach to the flower pots on boats (but they will grow still if you leave the anchor down) so when it is time to replenish crops I have to sleep for a couple of days until they are ready, imagine having a little farm on the top deck there, it would be glorious :D 

Awesome, endless adventure for current state, welldone for your mobile base, it looks so epic!

1 hour ago, Ane said:

I like the colors! :)

Hahahaha, not sure if he should take this as a 'Burn' 

Nothing about the design or look of the boat just 'I like the colours' :)

No burn at all, I guess I'm a white-red-brown kind of person :D

2 hours ago, Karniest said:

Hahahaha, not sure if he should take this as a 'Burn' 

Nothing about the design or look of the boat just 'I like the colours' :)

LOL to be fair they are almost all either pirate ships or yachts right? It's why I didn't originally include (boring) images :D oddly though the colour is a byproduct of moving it from one map to another, I must have done something while I looked at all the editor options and the whole thing got kind of bleached! Thank you Ane, with a bit of detailing I think it came out rather well even if it is a happy accident.

It does make me wonder if it will all go weird again next time I move it on but if it does then I can sort it out fairly readily...

13 minutes ago, Matthew Johns said:

LOL to be fair they are almost all either pirate ships or yachts right? It's why I didn't originally include (boring) images :D oddly though the colour is a byproduct of moving it from one map to another, I must have done something while I looked at all the editor options and the whole thing got kind of bleached! Thank you Ane, with a bit of detailing I think it came out rather well even if it is a happy accident.

It does make me wonder if it will all go weird again next time I move it on but if it does then I can sort it out fairly readily...

Whatever caused it was a good mistake, looks cool

1 hour ago, Matthew Johns said:

oddly though the colour is a byproduct of moving it from one map to another, I must have done something while I looked at all the editor options and the whole thing got kind of bleached!

Based on my experience, when you save composition in exploration map from editor, it sometimes won't save/update any changes (could be new blocks or colors). To fix this you need to patiently paint it and replace the composition again, again and again, until somehow the composition fixed. Maybe it caused by amount of objects that needed to be saved. 

Hope it can be fixed soon, because if it's only the colors that not be saved, I'm ok with that, but when structure of blocks not be saved, you need to remove that blocks, otherwise it will overlap with new structures. And the texture will glitch out eachother.

Edited by Velocifer