Sign in to follow this  
TechniPuffin

Shallow water/Large Ship

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to pick a good spot to start construction on a large ship? I've gone through a few explore play-throughs where I've built a large ship in seemingly deep water to sail it 50 yards and hit crazy amounts of "sand bars" I guess you'd call them and be unable to actually sail the ship away from the island. Is it possible to terraform the land under the water to make a port like area where the water just off the land is as deep as necessary to dock and then set sail with a large ship? 

I put my ship next to my house that is on the shore, built on it and then dug up the land underneath. So yea you can terraform the land under the water. Its a bit buggy though

I'll have to try that then. I'll post screenshots if I manage to make an okay looking port/dock thing right on the island. 

On 1 of the Ylands official missions you can see how they made their ships and docks, you do need to be in deeper waters, selecting the right locations is on some Ylands hard. 

You could always make your "underwater potion" on the alchemy table (with the right ingredients) or just dive for a minute: take a shoffle and dig the sand under the ship away and create a canal to deeper waters for the ship to go trew, this is what I did the first time I spawned my ship in shallow waters.

Also wenn you go on adventure sailing around discovering new Ylands, be careful not to get to close with your ship as you can get stuck in shallow waters again, you could take resources with you to make a raft to get to the main Yland, the ship can sail in reverse but that is really slow.