Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGreen1

Building Blueprint system

Question

Hey there , since its one of my biggest concerns and others seem to have similar problems , i have a solution for this : more user friendly building system.

i think what we need is some sort of " blueprint" system.

- blueprint would be made from paper and blue pigment.

- a blueprint would have different flags : empty, active, finished.
    - empty is pretty much self explaning. opening it , flags it as active
    - active . when clicking a blueprint/ opening it a popup opens informing you about the content ( list of all objects etc) .
                    also , it would show 3 buttons. build,finish and erase
                    - build : reduces the popup to a small indicator that blueprint build mode is active and keeps the blueprint " active" , wich means that all objects placed become " child" of the Blueprint. 
                      as long as a blueprint is flagged " active"  the BP owner can edit it at any time by just opening it.
                    - finish : a finished blueprint becomes like a regular object for placing it in the world. as many times as you like - if you have all the objects listed in your inventory ( or maybe a special " blueprint container" for massive amounts of objects.... something like a big cargo container or similar. ;D )
                   - erase is selfexplanatory , it just clears the BP
closing the unfinished blueprint  keeps it flagged active, but exits the blueprint build mode for regular building.
blueprints could also have an item limit, large blueprints would be split into pages of a blueprint book where each page needs to be crafted in order to place the final blueprint with all the items contained in each page.

something like that would be fantastic.
so far ;D

Edited by PurpleGreen1
  • Upvote 1

3 replies to this bug / suggestion

10 minutes ago, PurpleGreen1 said:

i think i try to draw it ... its a bit confusing to read.

Just a point as I do enjoy a good BP system, however, if it's a bit confusing to read and explain, surely it would be less user friendly? Simpler tends to be more user friendly I thought!

I play several other games that use a BP system that is easy to understand, but just as complicated lacking the initial how-to knowledge.

Currently, Ylands seems complicated because the initial how-to knowledge is - obtain all the required materials, or a new recipe won't unlock. If you don't know this prior, the whole things doesn't make much sense at first.

However, as you play and explore, you will inevitably notice that more things are unlocking, and those things require materials that you already have - making it a fairly straight forward learning curve - which is actually quite realistic, if we presume that the player has no knowledge of making any of these things prior to becoming stranded in the explore mode.

Having a few different objects in your kit, will allow you to think up new and useful ways to put them together, seems kind of life-like.

Similarly with the BP systems, if you don't have some prior knowledge about the system, some new players will likely be equally confused about how to progress.

8 minutes ago, John - NEXFER said:

Just a point as I do enjoy a good BP system, however, if it's a bit confusing to read and explain, surely it would be less user friendly? Simpler tends to be more user friendly I thought!

I play several other games that use a BP system that is easy to understand, but just as complicated lacking the initial how-to knowledge.

Currently, Ylands seems complicated because the initial how-to knowledge is - obtain all the required materials, or a new recipe won't unlock. If you don't know this prior, the whole things doesn't make much sense at first.

However, as you play and explore, you will inevitably notice that more things are unlocking, and those things require materials that you already have - making it a fairly straight forward learning curve - which is actually quite realistic, if we presume that the player has no knowledge of making any of these things prior to becoming stranded in the explore mode.

Having a few different objects in your kit, will allow you to think up new and useful ways to put them together, seems kind of life-like.

Similarly with the BP systems, if you don't have some prior knowledge about the system, some new players will likely be equally confused about how to progress.

the confusion is more related to english not being my native tongue :D

and thats why i think enabling blueprinting thru the tec tree, learning and growing step by step goes hand in hand with the spirit of ylands. ( for example the possible size for blueprints increases with crafting unlocks -> blueprint -> blueprint page -> blueprint book )